Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting soundly beaten by more senior opponents will happen to a young key position defender in his first season.

I am more exciting about how natural he looks as a forward.

Long term, he's probably still a defender, but the ability to swing forward (like Balta) is a good option to have.

Does anyone know how much junior football he spent in the forward-line?

I seem to recall somewhere that he played as a forward in one of the junior Victorian representative teams.

To be fair when you’re playing in the seniors you have to expect to play on senior players and with all due respect to Todd Marshall, he’s yet to prove himself as a star forward.

Marshall is a first round draft pick in his 6th year in the system just starting to hit his straps, with 14 goals and 2 goal assists in his last 6 games before tonight. He had 3 goals and no goal assists tonight. So it is not really out of line with what he has been producing.

Gibcus is going fine and fwiw I think the club is handling him perfectly, giving him these serious assignments and then shifting him if the opponent starts getting on top of him. I expect Gibcus gets squeezed out of the team next week all things going as expected, but even if he didn’t get another game this year(he definitely will) he has had a super first season. You have to keep reminding yourself he is 5 years or so off entering his prime, likely around 2027. He will probably go through all sorts of ups and downs between now and then.

Ashley McIntosh, Steve Silvagni, Allistair Lynch the best full back/full forwards I can think of in my time.
Gibcus could very well be the next.

Marshall is a first round draft pick in his 6th year in the system just starting to hit his straps, with 14 goals and 2 goal assists in his last 6 games before tonight. He had 3 goals and no goal assists tonight. So it is not really out of line with what he has been producing.

Gibcus is going fine and fwiw I think the club is handling him perfectly, giving him these serious assignments and then shifting him if the opponent starts getting on top of him. I expect Gibcus gets squeezed out of the team next week all things going as expected, but even if he didn’t get another game this year(he definitely will) he has had a super first season. You have to keep reminding yourself he is 5 years or so off entering his prime, likely around 2027. He will probably go through all sorts of ups and downs between now and then.
I don’t think they’ll drop him MR, as I think it’s a real luxury having him and Balta in the same side as they can both play either end of the ground. I think Soldo will be the one to be dropped as ruck isn’t a strength of next week’s opposition

I don’t think they’ll drop him MR, as I think it’s a real luxury having him and Balta in the same side as they can both play either end of the ground. I think Soldo will be the one to be dropped as ruck isn’t a strength of next week’s opposition

I watched a replay of the game and he had a impressive game for mine.

He got outmuscled by Marshall at times but so did Grimes in the first quarter and Marshall is hitting his prime. Marshall was probably the hardest matchup he has faced

People underestimate his run, mobility and groundball prowess for a taller guy apart from his leap. He belongs in the ones. He has good speed. He can swing with Balta between back and forward depending on matchups. I like him as a forward because of his lack of size given he is so young. Prestia mis kicked it to him. If that had hit his chest he probably would have ended up with two goals for minimal time up forward. He compliments JR becasue of his speed and mobility. I would play him with JR and Lynch up forward, sending him back when it suits.

His smarts, handball and kicking is good, we should keep playing him for his and our development and improvement

Will be an interesting selection around that issue presuming Lynch returns. I though the two rucks told heavily in our favour there in the end last night after Finlayson gave a lot of cheek over the first 3 quarters.

Our boys in the end combined for 26 touches, 40 hitouts, 6 tackles, 3 contested marks, 13 contested possessions, 4 clearances, a goal assist and 8 score involvements. 7 hitouts to advantage.

If you compared them overall with Finlayson/Dixon: 24 disposals, 18 hitouts, 2 goals, 5 tackles, 4 contested marks, 15 contested possessions, 5 clearances, 8 score involvements. 5 hitouts to advantage.

So overall it looks a fairly even contest statistically. But the Port pair spent a combined 170% time on ground. Our pair spent just 127% time on ground.

Then we have the issue if Soldo doesn’t play, who is our second ruck? Balta is the obvious guy but I suspect he will have his hands full with Charlie Curnow.

Anyway, will watch with interest, I think the selectors will play the two rucks and give Gibcus a spell.

Was disappointing last night but only because he's been so good all year.

I hope they give him another gig down back next week. We are pretty average side this year, if he costs us a game or 2 I don't really care. He will be a star and needs to learn.

Will be an interesting selection around that issue presuming Lynch returns. I though the two rucks told heavily in our favour there in the end last night after Finlayson gave a lot of cheek over the first 3 quarters.

Our boys in the end combined for 26 touches, 40 hitouts, 6 tackles, 3 contested marks, 13 contested possessions, 4 clearances, a goal assist and 8 score involvements. 7 hitouts to advantage.

If you compared them overall with Finlayson/Dixon: 24 disposals, 18 hitouts, 2 goals, 5 tackles, 4 contested marks, 15 contested possessions, 5 clearances, 8 score involvements. 5 hitouts to advantage.

So overall it looks a fairly even contest statistically. But the Port pair spent a combined 170% time on ground. Our pair spent just 127% time on ground.

Then we have the issue if Soldo doesn’t play, who is our second ruck? Balta is the obvious guy but I suspect he will have his hands full with Charlie Curnow.

Anyway, will watch with interest, I think the selectors will play the two rucks and give Gibcus a spell.

Actually Curnow is probably a better matchup for Gibcus or Even Grimes.

balta would be on McKay surely

Actually Curnow is probably a better matchup for Gibcus or Even Grimes.

balta would be on McKay surely
Tarrant took McKay in round 1 and beat him comfortably. Only goal Tarrant conceded was from a shocking umpiring call when McKay was clearly beaten for strength but was paid as a hold/push. Was a disgusting call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I commented earlier in the year that he lacks body strength in 1/1 , opponents are now drawing him deep to exploit that as his strength is having a run at it leap and spoil ,,,,Balta must go forward and gibbo forward or spell in vfl

Yep.

He really needs to play on guys that rely on movement. As soon as they get contact he's undersized now.

Still Gibcus has done amazingly. Give him 3 years and he'll be able to play on any key forward. What a steal.

Sounds made up.
Semi-interesting fact. I seriously know a guy called Callum Murray. He was telling me recently that a few years ago he was at party chatting to a bloke who happened to be an advertising exec. He told this bloke his name and how at school his nickname was "Squid".

Nek minnit, an ad pops up on the telly for Dare Iced Coffee doing the whole Callum Murray "calamari" routine.

Semi-interesting fact. I seriously know a guy called Callum Murray. He was telling me recently that a few years ago he was at party chatting to a bloke who happened to be an advertising exec. He told this bloke his name and how at school his nickname was "Squid".

Nek minnit, an ad pops up on the telly for Dare Iced Coffee doing the whole Callum Murray "calamari" routine.

I always refer to Ah Chee from Brisbane as “Ahry” for short. So I suppose he is Callum Ahry, slight variant on Callum Murray, but phonetically even closer to calamari. 😁

Kids going to learn alot from playing on top forwards will do him good long term.
This is my view also, he's going to get beaten at times as he's playing on some decent opponents, he's going to learn so much from it tho, especially those he's playing on that are younger as he's learning how they play etc for the future.

Ashley McIntosh, Steve Silvagni, Allistair Lynch the best full back/full forwards I can think of in my time.
Gibcus could very well be the next.
Dick Clay, Kelvin Moore, Francis Bourke, David Dench, Gary Malarky & Geoff Southby

Last edited:
Adam Hunter.

Does anyone know how much junior football he spent in the forward-line?
Pretty sure he was almost exclusively a forward up until his U18s year, at least he was when an U16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back