Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a shocking 3rd quarter but thought his last quarter (outside of the 2 fisted spoil) was much better. Just a dirty day all around for him. But credit to him.that he still backs himself and is filthy when he gets beaten.

Lets be honest, this was probably Gibcus's worst game so far and yet, he was head and shoulders above what Rance's worst games were as a youngster.

Agree with most , not his best game apart from the Goal was very bad

the 2 handed punch out of bounds when he was clear to mark was disappointing and indicated his confidence today
Reckon his confidence has been down for a few weeks , he has a few things to work on and really should go to vfl , concerning that he’s not backing himself to take the grab , it’s his bEST strength , coughing up unforced error from D50 is costing us goals and I have mentioned being out muscled deep , thankful that was only once . Buggered why miller isn’t worthy of a chance

bit over the top in here...had a few bad moments by foot for a young player but who cares, was trying to take the game on and we know he is a good kick. i thought he went for his marks more than in the past few weeks and he defended pretty well with 8 spoils. did well in some of those contests to get the fist in. not like his opponents did much either. darling and williams between them only kicked 1.1 when they had 28 shots.

Had a shocking 3rd quarter but thought his last quarter (outside of the 2 fisted spoil) was much better. Just a dirty day all around for him. But credit to him.that he still backs himself and is filthy when he gets beaten.

Lets be honest, this was probably Gibcus's worst game so far and yet, he was head and shoulders above what Rance's worst games were as a youngster.
He didn’t back himself at all.
went backwards for his kicks most of the time so he couldn’t stuff it up.
he wil be a terrific player but we are doing him no favours playing him in the ones at the moment because his confidence is shot to pieces.

I think 2 or 3 games in the VFL would do him wonders. Apart from giving him a chance to play some less pressurised footy, it gives his brain a chance to catch up with all the stuff he must have learned so far rather than piling a new layer of lessons onto him each week.

Gives us the chance to sneak a couple more games into Miller or Nyuon as well, and you just don’t know how valuable that could turn out to be if they are required in finals.

Listening to players and coaches talk about Gibcus it sounds like they are in awe of what he can do, so they are obviously seeing him display amazing capability at training etc as well as what we can all see in the games. But I think you still have to give the young man a chance to catch his breath at some stage.

Tarrant seems to be really sound now within our system and this might give a new player coming in a better chance to cope than before when they looked a bit lost at times.

First realistic chance I would give both Soldo and Gibcus a short run of consecutive VFL games I think this will pay dividends later.

I think 2 or 3 games in the VFL would do him wonders. Apart from giving him a chance to play some less pressurised footy, it gives his brain a chance to catch up with all the stuff he must have learned so far rather than piling a new layer of lessons onto him each week.

Gives us the chance to sneak a couple more games into Miller or Nyuon as well, and you just don’t know how valuable that could turn out to be if they are required in finals.

Listening to players and coaches talk about Gibcus it sounds like they are in awe of what he can do, so they are obviously seeing him display amazing capability at training etc as well as what we can all see in the games. But I think you still have to give the young man a chance to catch his breath at some stage.

Tarrant seems to be really sound now within our system and this might give a new player coming in a better chance to cope than before when they looked a bit lost at times.

First realistic chance I would give both Soldo and Gibcus a short run of consecutive VFL games I think this will pay dividends later.
Agree, but had a look at the fixture and no vfl this weekend so wouldn’t mind him making the trip to the Gold Coast, think he would make a good match up for Chol and like I said no vfl so may as well keep him in the side one more week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The vision shows that his "senior" backs team getting around him. Some senior game live coaching might help him with his current indecision mindset re spoil mark kick.
The game style, level and time to execute AFL vs VFL are so different. His skills are there, his fitness is there, The learning for AFL would need to come from on field or video study?

Their is really no benfit in dropping him...
He has played all year he will learn more at AFL level & the mistakes he has been making can be seen as a good thing because now he knows what works & how he can improve.

At this stage of his career he is not a 1v1 defender he is more of a tall intercept defender that's what his draft profile said & he's "kicking" was not he's strength you can improve it a bit but part of his game should be to play within himself like Astbury wasn't a great kick but once he realised not to be cute, kicked more down the line when not sure he became better player & made less mistakes.

No issue with giving him a break. He is very young with a body and mind that will no doubt be feeling it.

I would tend to think though that they play him against the Suns and North before they find a suitable week before finals to giving him a refresher.

He and Rioli have been the finds of the year. He will be a titan for us down back for the next 12 years.

The whole he doesn't benefit by playing VFL is rubbish. That's how development happens, sometimes it'd about dropping in difficulty to perform a few things before building up again to try and execute at a higher level. It's no different than most skill development where you start of basic and build up over time.

Not to mention VFL is a bit slower and will allow him to get more involved in the game and build some confidence.

Even Rance and Riewoldt in their early careers had games in the VFL at times when needed. It's part of the development cycle for a kid, not everyone is linear and improves every week in the AFL. Compared to his first half dozen games, his form has definitely dipped across the last few games.

The whole he doesn't benefit by playing VFL is rubbish. That's how development happens, sometimes it'd about dropping in difficulty to perform a few things before building up again to try and execute at a higher level. It's no different than most skill development where you start of basic and build up over time.

Not to mention VFL is a bit slower and will allow him to get more involved in the game and build some confidence.

Even Rance and Riewoldt in their early careers had games in the VFL at times when needed. It's part of the development cycle for a kid, not everyone is linear and improves every week in the AFL. Compared to his first half dozen games, his form has definitely dipped across the last few games.
Look at Corey Ellis used to play amazing in the twos same with RCD imo playing VFL & getting used of it can be bad.
Look at Jamarra Ugle Hagen had all the talent in the world was compared to Franklin but cause he's coach was stubborn to play him at AFL he has become a player that doesn't look like being a star now.

Look at Corey Ellis used to play amazing in the twos same with RCD imo playing VFL & getting used of it can be bad.
Look at Jamarra Ugle Hagen had all the talent in the world was compared to Franklin but cause he's coach was stubborn to play him at AFL he has become a player that doesn't look like being a star now.
I'm not saying to trap him there, we are talking of the odd game or 2 here and there as he's developing different parts to his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back