Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

No goals in 10 games and now no tackles.

Turn on the tv and there is Fantasia, Ryan, Pickett hitting the scoreboard along with other score involvements and the pressure acts.

Waite had as many tackles and goal assists in seasons for us as this bloke. Let that sink in.

If you find one, a small forward can, at 19 have more impact than KT.

No goals in 10 games and now no tackles.

Turn on the tv and there is Fantasia, Ryan, Pickett hitting the scoreboard along with other score involvements and the pressure acts.

Waite had as many tackles and goal assists in seasons for us as this bloke. Let that sink in.

If you find one, a small forward can, at 19 have more impact than KT.

Yeah it’s time for spicer.

He might have no impact for huge portions of games but 2 touches of him will be electric

I’m flummoxed as to what our small forward aversion is. I fly the flag for Kayne often but the side makeup that employs him as the lead opportunist is pure madness.

These small creative forwards are not hard to find, every club seems to have a heap of them yet we avoided them until drafting Spicer and even then theres no fast-tracking into the seniors on the cards.

Kayne works his backside off running defensively but it’s producing next to nothing.

Too many people getting caught up in the Sugar in the leadership group argument. So was Pittard in 2020 if I am not mistaken. Means nothing. I think it’s hard being a small forward in North’s forward line the last 20 games. Kane will never be an electrifying small forward but he would be a component last 4 picked in a good competing team. He is hard, follows the game plan and goes every single time it’s his turn. It’s not his fault we didn’t put Pickett next to him or have more than a 20 game 21 year as the focal point.

Too many people getting caught up in the Sugar in the leadership group argument. So was Pittard in 2020 if I am not mistaken. Means nothing. I think it’s hard being a small forward in North’s forward line the last 20 games. Kane will never be an electrifying small forward but he would be a component last 4 picked in a good competing team. He is hard, follows the game plan and goes every single time it’s his turn. It’s not his fault we didn’t put Pickett next to him or have more than a 20 game 21 year as the focal point.

He is hard hey? Did not lay 1 single tackle and the opposition had it 100 more times. Needs to be dropped - no tackles and NO goals for 10 games is a blight and needs to be met with the axe. High standards need to come in.

I’m flummoxed as to what our small forward aversion is. I fly the flag for Kayne often but the side makeup that employs him as the lead opportunist is pure madness.

These small creative forwards are not hard to find, every club seems to have a heap of them yet we avoided them until drafting Spicer and even then theres no fast-tracking into the seniors on the cards.

Kayne works his backside off running defensively but it’s producing next to nothing.
We tried one with Wilkinson but he wanted to go on Big Brother or something.

He is hard hey? Did not lay 1 single tackle and the opposition had it 100 more times. Needs to be dropped - no tackles and NO goals for 10 games is a blight and needs to be met with the axe. High standards need to come in.
Yeah he is hard. Harder than you or I will ever be. I remember the 18 year old who laid 9 tackles against the cats in a final at the G. Difference was he played in structured forward line with Drew, Brown, Black, Thomas and Harvey. The structure at the moment is a shambles.

Oh I remember.

A 5 foot tall chunky bloke who played as a strong but slow marking forward in the NEAFL.

I was amazed it didn’t work in the AFL.
Didn’t Corey Wagner have 30 touches in the NEAFL once?.. I can’t believe he’s not a star at AFL level..

Pretty sure that was Joyces draft barometer - get a kick in the NEAFL and your mine, all mine!! *cue Dr Evil laugh*

Didn’t Corey Wagner have 30 touches in the NEAFL once?.. I can’t believe he’s not a star at AFL level..

Pretty sure that was Joyces draft barometer - get a kick in the NEAFL and your mine, all mine!! *cue Dr Evil laugh*

Yeh I reckon there’d be a few raw talented nippy kids in the NEAFL, who learned the game Brazil style playing free flowing exciting footy.

It was quite a feat actually picking out the short, stodgy, fumbly blokes out of the group.

Or the tweeter thin guys who couldn’t really football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Jack regrets his "1st picked in the team every week" comment when talking about Kayne.

It isn't looking too crash hot now (or then) that's for sure.

Yeh I reckon there’d be a few raw talented nippy kids in the NEAFL, who learned the game Brazil style playing free flowing exciting footy.

It was quite a feat actually picking out the short, stodgy, fumbly blokes out of the group.

Or the tweeter thin guys who couldn’t really football.
But harsh here, they were probably told from the outset, you get one opportunity with Brad, you better make it count. otherwise you might as well pack your bags at head back to the NEAFL as you’ll never get another look in.

I wonder if Jack regrets his "1st picked in the team every week" comment when talking about Kayne.

I suspect the plan was to have a number of dangerous medium forwards floating through there (Taylor, Zurhaar, Thomas, Mahoney, Scott) who could chip in with goals, leaving Turner to do the dirty work in keeping the ball in there.

Unfortunately our forward line is that dysfunctional that there's no opportunity to even lock it in, so his one strength is negated.

I suspect the plan was to have a number of dangerous medium forwards floating through there (Taylor, Zurhaar, Thomas, Mahoney, Scott) who could chip in with goals, leaving Turner to do the dirty work in keeping the ball in there.

Unfortunately our forward line is that dysfunctional that there's no opportunity to even lock it in, so his one strength is negated.

That's all true but I still to this day thought it was very bizarre comment on a player who tries his hardest no doubt but is a very limited footballer.

That's all true but I still to this day thought it was very bizarre comment on a player who tries his hardest no doubt but is a very limited footballer.

I can see the logic behind it - new coach and young list, so wanting to promote someone that will set training and professionalism standards. Unfortunately he's just an average footballer.

I'd love to know how Dumont getting cut from the group came about though.

St Kilda have a small forward fetish .

Yeah he is hard. Harder than you or I will ever be. I remember the 18 year old who laid 9 tackles against the cats in a final at the G. Difference was he played in structured forward line with Drew, Brown, Black, Thomas and Harvey. The structure at the moment is a shambles.
Doesn't take a structured forward line to be able to lay a tackle or to be able to kick the ball 30 metres. And he supposedly one of our 'leaders'?

Enough excuse making for Turner - his limitations are being exposed badly and we need to move on from him - from a playing perspective and so called leadership perspective.

FWIW I heard the exact same thing said about Kayne from the current patron saint of the Tassie devils, and recruiting extraordinaire, Cam Joyces himself about 5 years ago...

FWIW I heard the exact same thing said about Kayne from the current patron saint of the Tassie devils, and recruiting extraordinaire, Cam Joyces himself about 5 years ago...
If it's what I'm thinking about he was copping it from fans at the time iirc, and the club released a video/article talking about the thankless role he has.

Kicked 12 goals in 2019

Watched him from behind the goals at the last 2019 and sure he is fast over the ground but yeh nah

At the end of the day he is another “Victim of the last guy’s success” syndrome at North

Blight....Fairley

Carey.....Petrie

Stevo...D Harris

Boomer...Turner
Or
LT....Turner

There’s probably more examples
Petrie ....Larkey

Archer...Zurhaar

Wells...Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back