Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it me or does Kayne look bigger?

View attachment 780132
I think he's had a chin job. It looks like he's had some extra work done while he went under the knife in the off-season.

Maybe he's thinking if he doesn't make it as a footballer he can transition it's a chiseled jaw bad boy in 'home and away'. Going the Hemsworth route.

1573942981747.png

43 games over the last 2 years with only 20 goals to his name. If he has another year with that sort of output as a small forward his time on the list will be very limited.

I love the way he goes about it but he MUST find a way to stay involved and kick more goals.
I thought he started the season reasonably well on that front. By round 15 (collingwood) he had 23 G+GA, about 1.5 per game, which was tolerable. Peaked in round 12 with 2G, 2GA, 8 tackles v GC. 18d/2g/1ga vs GWS the following week was also pretty decent.

But he never had a bag of more than 2 and fell right away in the last couple of months. We absolutely need to upgrade his position. If we get a small forward in the draft he's probably got one more year to get his act together. Maybe not even that if Curtis Taylor and some combination of mid-forwards step up.

But he never had a bag of more than 2 and fell right away in the last couple of months. We absolutely need to upgrade his position. If we get a small forward in the draft he's probably got one more year to get his act together. Maybe not even that if Curtis Taylor and some combination of mid-forwards step up.

He was much further up the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still cant believe we have this guy. such an average limited footballer. if we want to go further players like this guy cannot be in our best 22.

There were at least a couple of times last year where the brilliant Cunners like handballs, from deep in traffic or surrounded by the pack, to our players were so good I had to watch the replay to see who delivered them. It was Turner. I get the sense he played a role where he sacrificed his game to cover options under Scotts and never got to show off what he was capable of.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of our better players this year, kicking aside.

Even if he plays VFL for a significant part of the year he'll play finals. His determination and ability to contest will see to that.

Check that gif of what he did against those Freo players if you're unsure of what I'm saying. Took two on in the marking contest, got the ball to ground then beat three of their players and Cunners in multiple contests before somehow tapping the ball out to Froggy.

There were at least a couple of times last year where the brilliant Cunners like handballs, from deep in traffic or surrounded by the pack, to our players were so good I had to watch the replay to see who delivered them. It was Turner. I get the sense he played a role where he sacrificed his game to cover options under Scotts and never got to show off what he was capable of.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of our better players this year, kicking aside.

Even if he plays VFL for a significant part of the year he'll play finals. His determination and ability to contest will see to that.

Check that gif of what he did against those Freo players if you're unsure of what I'm saying. Took two on in the marking contest, got the ball to ground then beat three of their players and Cunners in multiple contests before somehow tapping the ball out to Froggy.
If the new coach isn't a diabetic I reckon he'll love Sugar.

Bumping this comment because I feel like that's how people are talking about our 2019 draft. 2013 with McDonald, Dumont, Brown and Turner turned out to be our best draft of the decade and it's not even close at this point.

I'll wear that but in fairness also posted this re Brown after reflection at the time:

Was a little surprised when his name was called out but have really warmed to this selection.

A lot of posters seem akin to Mills & Boon readers on this site, dreaming of meeting mysterious strangers and getting far more excited by the written word than the reality in front of them.

If Ben had been an unsighted kid from the WAFL colts with an exciting sounding phantom draft profile people would've gizzed themselves over him. But instead he was under our noses ponying up playing against men and doing pretty damn well for his age/development. Showing some pretty impressive traits for his size.

You've got a 2 metre tall kid who can take ridiculous contested marks at full extension. Is catlike off the deck and moves so quickly for his size albeit a little ungainly as he gets used to his frame. Plays with vigour and excitement and looks like he wants to be out there. Thumping set shot too. Bit of Majak about him but with a lifetime of playing the game behind him.

This isn't a typical beanpole project player. We're not wondering if he's up to leaving home, living a balanced professional lifestyle, adjusting to a new environment or has the fortitude to attack a senior game of footy. He's proved that already. And he's 20 ffs. People are pointing out weaknesses in his game - he's on par with Mabon in age and noone expected him to be a complete package in the VFL this year.

If you're going to make a speculative pick I reckon a rucksized forward with a great mindset and some nice athleticism is a good punt.

I'll wear that but in fairness also posted this re Brown after reflection at the time:
Was going to put in a disclaimer that it wasn't meant to be a go at your assessment because I didn't necessarily read your post as being judgemental. I saw it as a commonsense post assessing a commonsense draft.

That Brown post is a ripper. Thought you might be pulling a quick one because it highlights all the hallmarks of the AFL game he was able to create from what we saw of him in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back