Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
We have been a mediocre team all the time that Turner has been best 22. He wouldn't be close to best 22 in a genuine top 4 team. Yes, we tried to trade Wood out and there were no takers. I think we can pretty safely assume that if we tried to trade Turner there would be zero takers. If we delisted both I am pretty sure that Wood would be drafted before Turner as his upside is miles above Turner's.

One of these players is Kayne Turner, the other is two time premiership player Jason Castagna.

castagna and turner.JPG

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
One of these players is Kayne Turner, the other is two time premiership player Jason Castagna.

View attachment 829952
If Turner hit the scoreboard over the last 3 seasons with 26.20, 26.24 & 27.28 we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Kayne has put up 17.8, 8.11 & 12.5.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Put him on the shelf and let him sort himself out without the pressure of trying to get back.

Rookie Adam tipungwuti or Jarmaine Jones...or even re-list Declan Mountford and play him as a tagger.
Looks like WCE will look to rookie J Jones

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With Turner gone a big oppurtunity exits.

Mahoney looks good but I want Kyron to show his work too.
He did alright tagging Pendle's for the half he was out there. Good effort for his first ever half game, hopefully he comes back where he left off. From what I've seen he looks mighty fit, he was one of the strongest 16 year olds I have seen so hopefully he has built on that.
It'll be interesting to see a defensive side to T2, I have seen some footage of his attack on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'll ask the obvious once more.

Can he still go on the LTI for that period and clear the path for Tipa 2.0?

If I understand your question correctly the rule below would seem to indicate that it is fine.

"An injured Player transferred to a Club’s Long Term Injury List is ineligible to play in the AFL Competition or a State Body competition for a minimum period of 8 weeks, commencing from the day on which the General Counsel gives his approval for the injured Player to transfer to the Club’s Long Term Injury List."

The rest of the rules talk about moving a player from the rookie list to the primary list to cover the injured player. My understanding was that the rookie list was now a bit redundant anyway as those players are eligible for selection.

To bring in Tippa 2.0 we might have to rule either Turner or Jacobs out for the season. I can't see a clause that talks about whether we can bring someone in under the SSP provisions and not offer them a full season.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
If I understand your question correctly the rule below would seem to indicate that it is fine.

"An injured Player transferred to a Club’s Long Term Injury List is ineligible to play in the AFL Competition or a State Body competition for a minimum period of 8 weeks, commencing from the day on which the General Counsel gives his approval for the injured Player to transfer to the Club’s Long Term Injury List."

The rest of the rules talk about moving a player from the rookie list to the primary list to cover the injured player. My understanding was that the rookie list was now a bit redundant anyway as those players are eligible for selection.

To bring in Tippa 2.0 we might have to rule either Turner or Jacobs out for the season. I can't see a clause that talks about whether we can bring someone in under the SSP provisions and not offer them a full season.

Thanks.

Don't mention Jacobs. The opportunity cost of not moving his time out of the game to the LTI remains as confusing as it ever was.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thanks.

Don't mention Jacobs. The opportunity cost of not moving his time out of the game to the LTI remains as confusing as it ever was.
Perhaps we can't move him to the LTI given the 'issue' could clear up tomorrow (diagnosis is not cut and dry) and we can't guarantee that he will be unavailable for the minimum duration required?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'll ask the obvious once more.

Can he still go on the LTI for that period and clear the path for Tipa 2.0?

There is no "period"

He goes on the LTI and is replaced, meaning he is inactive for the entire season and can't play again.

Or he doesn't go on the LTI list.

The main rookie list is more or less redundant (apart from the one- vs two-year contracts) but Cat B rookies still need to be elevated into a vacant list spot. And of course, if we fill it via an SSP selection there needs to be another vacant spot for the LTI player to return to. So in all likelihood by the time the byes come around we'll have another vacant spot with a player done for the season, but it's still some risk.

Would love to see Tippa do well enough today to force the issue.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
There is no "period"

He goes on the LTI and is replaced, meaning he is inactive for the entire season and can't play again.

Well we know how this story goes then.

Turner will stay on the primary list and if his return doesn't go to plan circa May, go for surgery and miss the season.

Jacobs will stay on the primary list because for the last 24 months he's "trained well but we can't get a handle on the issue" and see out the season quite possibly with no games.

Should Tippungwuti perform strongly in a role we are crying out for coverage in he'll pump up his value for the mid-season draft.

Which won't matter anyway because we won't have a spare list spot.

Turner will stay on the primary list and if his return doesn't go to plan circa May, go for surgery and miss the season.

Jacobs will stay on the primary list because for the last 24 months he's "trained well but we can't get a handle on the issue" and see out the season quite possibly with no games.

Should Tippungwuti perform strongly in a role we are crying out for coverage in he'll pump up his value for the mid-season draft.

You’d have to think that Scamper and his denizens will be completely on top of this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is no "period"

Pretty sure thats not quite right, I think you can swap players on the LTI, ie Turner until he's fit by which time someone else will almost certainly be done.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

And that there is the problem.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Let’s just hope that a new regime in charge brings change in how we go about things.

With all due respect to Kayne, we should have no hesitation putting him on the LTI and bringing in Tippungwuti. What’s the worst that can happen? And you sweeten it for Turner by giving him a contact for 2021.

From what we have seen, list spots should be the least of our concern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back