Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in the changes thread but it's more relevant here:

For much of the season our centre bounce set up has been four on the wing, seven in defence and three talls forward. Not being able to be at the Sydney game (set ups are nigh impossible to analyse on TV) and missing the Richmond game I don't know if we've moved away from this "swamp the contest" set up that saw us have so much success against the Saints, Blues, Hawks etc.

What it does mean when we use it though is when the ball comes to ground after we inevitably clear it to Brown is that Turner, Atley and Jy/Zurhaar/the resting mid aren't at the fall of the ball i50 but are running in 70m from goal. Since Turner predominantly scores from crumbs we're basically depriving him (or any of the small fwds) of those opportunities by cleaning out the 50 for Brown, Ziebs and Waite/Wood. I don't think Turner is necessarily out of form but out of position (to score). This doesn't really matter if we're winning games but it goes a long way into explaining why a 6 touch, 3 tackle and 20 pressure act game is unlikely to see him dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perfectly built for September action and the way we're tracking he'll see plenty of that in years to come..

All aboard the Sugar Train, toot toot!!!

iam aboard

4276721.jpg

Well deserved.

You can't fault his defensive efforts but he really needs to have a bit more of a scoreboard impact. Prior to this year it was never a problem.

Anyone got his pressure acts average for the year compared with Zurhaar? Zurhaar would have him for average disposals and goals per game and would be pretty close with tackles & 1%er's I'd imagine.

Its so good to have such competition for spots across that half forward line.

Well deserved.

You can't fault his defensive efforts but he really needs to have a bit more of a scoreboard impact. Prior to this year it was never a problem.

Anyone got his pressure acts average for the year compared with Zurhaar? Zurhaar would have him for average disposals and goals per game and would be pretty close with tackles & 1%er's I'd imagine.

I think us starting with a 3 man forward line with Kanye playing very high up the ground is working well for us as a unit overall, but is clearly impacting his disposal numbers.

He adds to the swamp contest of the midfield, whilst the 3 big boys up front get an open forward line to work in. With Turner and co sprinting forward to crumb or more importantly apply frontal pressure to the opposition backs who can't get a clear exit. Sometimes he just ain't that fleet of foot to get there in time to do real scoreboard damage.

Good theory and it's working well, but it is clearly impacting his numbers. He's a selfless workhorse and sometimes that enough.

Well deserved.

A big factor might be Turner's endurance and ability to stay to the structures as a more senior player. If i recall correctly he's racked up some high KM's in a few games, not sure of The Zurhaar's endurance.

He doesn't need to be the marquee, front and centre focus of attention star player, he's doing what Jacobs does. Plays a role and makes up the core of what brings out the best in our best players. Could he play better? Sure. But I think he had an improved game against GWS.

Sugar's an important part of the North Melbourne machine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back