Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we change the thread title?

Every time I see it I think "why on Earth did we sign him up for another 2 years based on his 2018 form?"

Then I remember we did before the season was well under way. If we had waited now we could be paying him in Kombucha and McDonald's happy meal auskick vouchers.

uploads1533577305729-source.gif

Can we change the thread title?

Every time I see it I think "why on Earth did we sign him up for another 2 years based on his 2018 form?"

Then I remember we did before the season was well under way. If we had waited now we could be paying him in Kombucha and McDonald's happy meal auskick vouchers.

Disagree. I think he deserves to be on the list for 2 more years.

Still only young, played a role for the team. Defiantly wasn’t a great year, but with time to develop his game and a requirement to lift with competition for spots - he could still become more complete and take his game to a higher level.

There’ll be others ahead of him now - but if required he can come in and do a job and you know what you’ll get. I’d rather him than a flakey half/small forward who have some skills but go missing and aren’t committed... So would his team mates I’m sure.

Disagree. I think he deserves to be on the list for 2 more years.

Still only young, played a role for the team. Defiantly wasn’t a great year, but with time to develop his game and a requirement to lift with competition for spots - he could still become more complete and take his game to a higher level.

There’ll be others ahead of him now - but if required he can come in and do a job and you know what you’ll get. I’d rather him than a flakey half/small forward who have some skills but go missing and aren’t committed... So would his team mates I’m sure.
Didn't say he didn't deserve it. Just that he'd be getting significantly less pay based on output. I'd rather him move down back and become a small defender. If he doesn't I don't think he'll be on the list post 2020.

Kayne played some flashes of brilliant footy last year, but his spot is under threat. Tarryn Thomas would be eyeing it off.

Tarryn would want to show the ability to cover 16km a game and continually impede opponents along the way if he has his eyes on Kayne's spot.

still young and he's showed he can play at this level. lots of people wrote off Jed Anderson too
They did but I stuck by him, Majak, and Jacobs. My record is impeccable. A small forward that runs around like a headless chook and doesn't kick goals is next to useless. s**t, even Baguely had a better year.

Kayne showed his worth when he went back in the Brisbane game and last year against Port. It only makes sense to have a player that can't find the ball, is as tough as nails, good tank, and can't kick goals - move to BP. Marley can't go it all and this season showed when smalls had a field day against us.

Not saying he's done. Just that he will be unless he improves and adds more strings to his bow.

They did but I stuck by him, Majak, and Jacobs. My record is impeccable. A small forward that runs around like a headless chook and doesn't kick goals is next to useless. s**t, even Baguely had a better year.

Kayne showed his worth when he went back in the Brisbane game and last year against Port. It only makes sense to have a player that can't find the ball, is as tough as nails, good tank, and can't kick goals - move to BP. Marley can't go it all and this season showed when smalls had a field day against us.

Not saying he's done. Just that he will be unless he improves and adds more strings to his bow.

fair enough. I'm not convinced he's a natural small fwd either
I think he's just had a reality check season and he looks to me to be the type of player to learn from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big year for him. I reckon there will be more opportunity for a small forward to be attacking this year with our changes in personnel. I don't think he'll have a heap of time with a full list to sell the case that he's the guy though. Wilkinson, Walker & Thomas all looking to take his spot without even looking at a fit Garner coming back into the 22. Good luck Kayne.

I think either Turner or Atley will get pushed out to make room for more midfielders. Hall, Anderson, Higgins & Cunners will rotate forward more often now that we have some decent midfield depth.

Could also see Wilko pushing his case to take Turner’s spot.

One thing with Sugar that I think has been forgotten - or not noticed - is that when he first found himself in the team he seemed to bob up in the right places in the forward line quite easily. I remember thinking that this guy is a natural footballer who reads the play well.

I don't know if his goal tally early on reflects this or not, but last year he seemed to lose this trait, perhaps by being too defensively minded (as much structural as anything.)

He gets 2-3 rounds to provide a boost in scoring, if not he can piss off to the back.

His pressure & endurance is great and all, but if you're not kicking goals, what are you doing forward.

I think that’s fair. He’s the incumbent but he simply has to impact the scoreboard more. If not then there are plenty of guys looking to take his place.

I think that’s fair. He’s the incumbent but he simply has to impact the scoreboard more. If not then there are plenty of guys looking to take his place.

I reckon Walker, Zurhaar, Thomas, Taylor and Wilkinson are lined up to take his spot if he doesn't perform.

Midfield we can afford to have good competition, forward we gotta be more strict. if you ain't scoring, you're gone. No more playing favourites, we need to reward based on form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back