Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought he was very good today. Did some very brave things. Maybe I was a bit harsh on him last week because I saw things from the stands today that are lost on tv.

Just ferocious at the contest. Kicked his goal, had a hand in a couple of others. Saved one by running back desperately into D50. Did everything he could - sure he is limited but you can see why he doesn't get dropped (I say this as someone who is off Brad completely. Nothing but a flag will change my mind there). Turner is a talismanic, heart and soul player. Plenty have more talent but actually talent isn't everything. He's gonna have a good year. Shame about some others....

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Was real good today. A couple of efforts in the first half were as hard as anything delivered on the day.

After Cunnington, he has more heart than anyone else in the senior side.

Thought he showed why he gets picked every week today.

Need to see that consistently
Agreed.

With his ferocious attack on the man and ball, he sticks out like dogs balls in a side that is, by and large, shithouse defensively forward of centre.

If a guy like Atley had even half his application, we would be a different beast down there.

Man I miss Garner.

He is tough, hard at the contest and game day you cant fault his effort. s**t you dont see on TV.
Works like an animal but hes not a forward. We are plugging holes with square pegs.

He is tough, hard at the contest and game day you cant fault his effort. s**t you dont see on TV.
Works like an animal but hes not a forward. We are plugging holes with square pegs.

I had a rare seat behind the goals today and watching the game I said to a mate I can see why coaches would like Turner and give him games. His intensity at the man with the ball is constant and without compromise. I still agree with you though.

I had a rare seat behind the goals today and watching the game I said to a mate I can see why coaches would like Turner and give him games. His intensity at the man with the ball is constant and without compromise. I still agree with you though.
We have Turner and no one
Hawks had Breust and Wingard

Sums up our forward line for small forwards

We have Turner and no one
Hawks had Breust and Wingard

Sums up our forward line for small forwards

Absolutely. Our forward line is basically Brown & JZ (both are underdone this year) and Turner who realistically is there for defensive pressure and any shots on goal (let alone through the goals) are a bonus. I said a week ago I wanted Higgins forward and stand by it as he's not having much impact up the ground given his possession and has less accountability than Ben Cunnington after a big lunch. We need at least one genuine tall forward in (Larkey the obvious choice) to go along with Higgins and I'd like to get someone like Taylor in there was well. An actual dangerous forward line that keeps their defenders honest. At the moment we are so lame down there that the defense can just help squeeze our midfield even more. It has to change.

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree with you. So he seems more of a back pocket player except he can't kick long enough to get it out of the 50.
I guess he stays where he is

Absolutely. Our forward line is basically Brown & JZ (both are underdone this year) and Turner who realistically is there for defensive pressure and any shots on goal (let alone through the goals) are a bonus. I said a week ago I wanted Higgins forward and stand by it as he's not having much impact up the ground given his possession and has less accountability than Ben Cunnington after a big lunch. We need at least one genuine tall forward in (Larkey the obvious choice) to go along with Higgins and I'd like to get someone like Taylor in there was well. An actual dangerous forward line that keeps their defenders honest. At the moment we are so lame down there that the defense can just help squeeze our midfield even more. It has to change.
I agree with you. So he seems more of a back pocket player except he can't kick long enough to get it out of the 50.
I guess he stays where he is
He is an honest tryer who deserves a game but he doesnt possess any elite attributes that will make us better as a side other than being hard.
Look at Mitch Robinson at Brisbane this year. Playing a a side role rather than a main one and the team is benefiting greatly. Turner is a role player in a system which is failing week in week out.

Stats don't show it, but had a good game. Still needs to hit the scoreboard more, even as a pressure forward.

Feel for him in some ways. He's had at least 1-2 chances every game that a decent small forward would snaffle and if he'd done so would literally not have a soul calling for his head. Love his physicality but he simply will not last long term future if he can't pot the odd goal from 35m on a reasonable angle. Hope they do everything they can to get him there because his other efforts are the stuff that teams build off.

Back