Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

He was decent in the first month of Rhyce's tenure when we were generating repeat inside 50s. Problem is he's never going to be a small forward who creates something out of nothing, so his own output is directly proportional to the team. Hawks game aside, we've been belted in the midfield the past five weeks.

Brad loved Turner, Durds Brad hated, we tried to give Durds away in 2018, no takers.
Yeah agree with all of that, just find it curious that Durdin is floated regularly but a routinely ineffective small forward isn't.

I think many, myself included, get seduced by his manic attack and his ticker. But if we are looking to extricate ourselves from this period of mediocrity, then Kayne's position in the 22 should be queried. And potentially the list at seasons end.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He was decent in the first month of Rhyce's tenure when we were generating repeat inside 50s. Problem is he's never going to be a small forward who creates something out of nothing, so his own output is directly proportional to the team. Hawks game aside, we've been belted in the midfield the past five weeks.
I get that. But he was ordinary last year and we won 12 games. Was ordinary under Scott at the start of this year. Good performances are statistical outliers when looking at him over the past few years, and certainly hasn't been short of opportunities. Seen enough. Thanks Kayne.

He'd probably be better if he wasn't the only crumbing forward amongst 4 or 5 marking targets.

You'd like to think he would at least crumb one or two a game under those circumstances. Has hardly done it over his whole career.

Our bomb-long-to-Brown gameplan sucks big ones, but surely KT can get to some of those contests to provide ground level support. I'm always scratching my head as to where the North crumbers are. It's not as if the bomb-long plan isn't known.

Whats he rank for efficiency? 7th for shots on goal, how many did he kick in 6 games? And 5th for pressure acts doesnt seen accurate, where did you find this?
Not the answer either, probably better than Turner but going forward would need to improve on these stats

AFL website on the stats. He kicked 4 goals from 6 games, in a couple of those games I recall him playing half-back and wing but there isn't data on what roles players played or how much so couldn't say for certain how much. It was hard to tell what Brad was doing early on.

My point wasn't to talk up Hall, just that he has the potential to hit the scoreboard, despite his pressure act data, he quite often was lax in terms of running both ways which I assume was the main reason he was dropped. We don't really have the freedom to inject a lot more offensive power into our forward 50 without addressing how bad our midfield is at running between the arcs.

If we managed to get 2 top class aggressive small forwards, who weren't the greatest defensively, we would have a significant problem exposed. A lot of the s**t we don't like to see is a product of us failing to address the midfield problems. For such a slow moving, contested ball midfield we are 14th for clearances, 10th for contested possessions, 18th for tackles, 13th for Inside 50s... we aren't any good at this inside stuff anyway, not sure what the point is of having the structure we go with when we are so s**t at it.

Cunnington, Ziebell, Dumont, Anderson are our four core mids this season and they don't really contribute much scoring drive, we aren't dominating the hard ball stuff either so what is the point? This was my main issue with Brad changing the gameplan from 2012/13 to be more "defensive" by slowing our ball movement, we went from scoring 2359 points (3rd highest for the year) and conceding 2097 points in 2012 and 2307/1930 in 2013 to 2026/1731 in 2014, 2062/1937 in 2015, 1953/2041 in 2016, 1983/2264 in 2017 and 1950/1790 last year. We really gained nothing from slow dog s**t ball movement, what minimal improvement we gained from lower scores kicked against us was more than offset by a dramatic plunge in ability to score.

Throwing caution to the wind playing corridor footy with Gibson, Anthony, Mullett, Campbell, Harvey, Garlett, Harper (all in the same team in 2012) saw us concede lower scores than eye bleeding defensive footy. It is just a completely pointless exercise. If we are playing with more than one inside midfield on the field at the same time and if you play with a tagger, you must make it extremely hard for the opposition to score. We can't do that so our whole setup is pointless. No point getting results in 5 games a year, it is the results you can produce after an entire season that counts.

We are ill placed to make any judgement calls on the forward or defensive lineup until we can address our midfield woes.

He is a useful role player, his worth will only be felt when he is gone, so let's not pray for someone to be gone in that he will be a very good defensive forward that is highly effective in today's game. Turner is a must have but his effectiveness will come to fore when we have a superior midfield or gets better in clearances.

He is a useful role player, his worth will only be felt when he is gone, so let's not pray for someone to be gone in that he will be a very good defensive forward that is highly effective in today's game. Turner is a must have but his effectiveness will come to fore when we have a superior midfield or gets better in clearances.
A small forward is not a role player he is a playmaker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turner has the courage to play the game hard, he just lacks most other things. He will always be appreciated for his effort, courage and surprising tackling ability, but I think he would be better suited in defence. Part of being a “pressure forward” is to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard, as a result of that pressure. He just doesn’t hit the scoreboard nearly as well as Cam Zurhaar. Boy, imagine if we had two of him!

His skill is limited so we can't ask him to do more than he is capable of. His job is to tackle, harass and engage in rough play.
Get an athlete then and teach them aggro. They're skills will not be worse. Blicavs would be a better crumbing forward. I've tried to come around to Turner but he almost constantly disappoints. Opposition coaches play off his
A) inability to spoil anyone over six foot
B) he can only kick 35 metres
C) tries to tackle first and is often too slow, then is on the ground while the ball is still moving in the opposition's hands

Courageous and hard, but these days that is not enough.

Richmond have at least four small forwards that are better than him.
Most teams have at least two.

Highly doubt anyone (outside gold coast) would trade for him.

I thank him for his efforts.

His skill is limited so we can't ask him to do more than he is capable of. His job is to tackle, harass and engage in rough play.
You answered your own question about Turner

I'm sticking with the kid. Has heart and reasonable footy smarts.

There were the games this year where he was the only bloke kicking goals.

He's not Lindsay Thomas quality. Unfortunately few are.

You mean the 1st qtr against Sydney? At what stage did 4 2 goal games for a season become the standard we would accept from a small forward? If he had smarts, he would find better positions and kick more goals, as small forwards should. On track to kick 20 goals in 44 games.

Im not trolling you KC this morning looking for a blue but i think the LT comment is a bit of a cop out. He doesn't need to be LT, LT on his day was an absolute star. He just needs to be better - kick more goals, lay more tackles, hit more targets. 8 effective touches a game and half a goal isnt enough.

You mean the 1st qtr against Sydney? At what stage did 4 2 goal games for a season become the standard we would accept from a small forward? If he had smarts, he would find better positions and kick more goals, as small forwards should. On track to kick 20 goals in 44 games.

Im not trolling you KC this morning looking for a blue but i think the LT comment is a bit of a cop out. He doesn't need to be LT, LT on his day was an absolute star. He just needs to be better - kick more goals, lay more tackles, hit more targets. 8 effective touches a game and half a goal isnt enough.

No offence taken mate. I think the guy is a strong mark for his size and has a good tank and discipline to his game.

When he puts his mind to it he can swoop in for the crumbs pretty well though not claiming he's exactly a Rioli either.

Our midfield during the last few weeks have reverted to their defensively unaccountable selves and I think this sees Kayne having to do a lot of defensive cover running which bangs up the rest of his game.

Maybe if we had LT, Winnie, Allison or hell maybe even Matt Campbell sitting spare we could debate his spot but right now I think he gets a game and 2020 spot on merit.

No offence taken mate. I think the guy is a strong mark for his size and has a good tank and discipline to his game.

When he puts his mind to it he can swoop in for the crumbs pretty well though not claiming he's exactly a Rioli either.

Our midfield during the last few weeks have reverted to their defensively unaccountable selves and I think this sees Kayne having to do a lot of defensive cover running which bangs up the rest of his game.

Maybe if we had LT, Winnie, Allison or hell maybe even Matt Campbell sitting spare we could debate his spot but right now I think he gets a game and 2020 spot on merit.
Yeah that is fair reply. If we are into Martin and Papley as reported he might be in strife for that position. I still think there is merit in sending him to a back pocket. Straight line runner, could work in tandem with Marley shutting down small forwards. Just don't think he is man up forward, pardon the pun, going forward

I still think there is merit in sending him to a back pocket. Straight line runner, could work in tandem with Marley shutting down small forwards. Just don't think he is man up forward, pardon the pun, going forward

Funny you mention that was just pondering that this morning. Was thinking back to how positive the sentiment was regarding Atley going forward and was struggling to pinpoint when he fell back out of there?! In turn was thinking who could cover that spot and Kayne came to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back