Past Lewis Taylor - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

MvfWMjOy.jpg

Lewis Taylor

Player Profile

A three-way trade with the Brisbane Lions and Carlton enabled the Sydney Swans to land Lewis Taylor during the 2019 Telstra AFL period. What the deal secured was a young, speedy, stocky small forward who had booted 88 goals in 112 AFL games in Brisbane colours. The Lions recruited Taylor from the Geelong Falcons with pick 28 at the 2013 AFL Draft and he fired from the get-go, playing all 22 senior games en route to claiming the 2014 AFL Rising Star award. The new Swan is expected to contend with names like Ben Ronke, Sam Gray and Sam Wicks for a spot in Sydney’s forward line in 2020, although coach John Longmire could instead use him on a wing.

Lewis Taylor

DOB:17 February 1995
DEBUT:2015
DRAFT:2019
RECRUITED FROM: Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
They along with Tim Kelly last year are the rarities though. Brad Hill still had two years to go but left Freo.

Anyway hopefully Lewis repays the faith shown by the Swans in giving him a 3 year deal.

Well when we win flags we have a rising star winner

Last 2 time two

Now 2 again

Genuinely excited about seeing how LewyTay goes. I think he will fit in better than Thurlow or Clarke just based on his style and role.

I'm not sure but perhaps another advantage he'd have over those two would be he'd be used to playing at an "interstate" club as opposed to a club in a Melbourne/SA/WA footy bubble... I can imagine any way to keep the move as stable on & off the field as possible is bound to be some kind of advantage.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Bombers sort of club that would match

I reckon family members will get involved and get him to sign on

Never be a swan imo
You reckon Papley family will get into Tom’s ear, tell him to harden the * up?

These are the sorts of players we need to be going for if we're going to trade. Last year we tried to pry Moore, Langdon and VDB out of top four sides while we were clearly on the downward trend. We were always going to be fighting an uphill battle to get them to make that sort of a career move.

We need to look at guys at strong clubs who will want opportunities, because they'll always prioritise playing regular AFL matches over being on a winning list but watching from the sidelines. Then back our culture and our development to help them shine and make their former clubs realise what they missed out on.

Oct 1, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Think he will form a fearsome trio with Papley and Hayward in the forwardline.
I like that mix of smalls rather than a Menzel or Ronke (and even then, maybe Taylor on Wing, with Ronke in the forwardline)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Bombers sort of club that would match

I reckon family members will get involved and get him to sign on

Never be a swan imo
There is one way that the club and the family can't interfere with is PSD.

IF he want to the National draft Dodo would trade their 1st and next years 1st to get pick 1 from GC. Crows might get pick 2.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Probably should be in the trade page. Sorry.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Watching Lewie's highlights he looks like a quick and skilful outside player with a good kick. See him more on a wing allowing moves for Florent and Cunningham (inside and back). Possibly rotate a bit forward with Hayward, which happened a bit before he got injured. If Paps got injured he might be able to slot in there.
All round looks a good pickup.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Watching Lewie's highlights he looks like a quick and skilful outside player with a good kick. See him more on a wing allowing moves for Florent and Cunningham (inside and back). Possibly rotate a bit forward with Hayward, which happened a bit before he got injured. If Paps got injured he might be able to slot in there.
All round looks a good pickup.
So back pocket for longmire?

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Taylor is in an odd situation as I think we got him as a replacement for Papley but we ended up keeping Papley, so I am not entirely sure what Taylor’s role is going to be.
I see him more as a Jones replacement

Taylor is in an odd situation as I think we got him as a replacement for Papley but we ended up keeping Papley, so I am not entirely sure what Taylor’s role is going to be.

Based on his highlights (that's all I can go on as I haven't seen any of him except his first year) he seemed to do most damage at half forward, linking up between defensive rebounds and forwards inside 50. Papley has done that role, sure (most notable example being his sealer at Adelaide Oval in 2017) but he's most effective around goals, crumbing loose balls and turning them into goals. If anything Taylor being there as that link-up player might actually make it easier for Paps to just stay close to goal and not get sucked up the ground.

Given our transition from d50 to f50 this year was actually pretty bloody good (who'da thunk it?), the addition of Taylor might make us even more damaging again. Could be one of those situations where both players involved actually benefit from each other's presence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back