Past #28: Matt Riggio - drafted #28 in '05 ND - 10 games for North - delisted at end '09 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been impressed with this guy. The last thing we need anyway, another plodder who might, might get 16 possessions, none of which are gained with any speed.

Next.

Never been impressed with this guy. The last thing we need anyway, another plodder who might, might get 16 possessions, none of which are gained with any speed.

Next.

I hear ya. What the hell happened with our drafting over the last 5-7 years? It seems we became obsessed with mid-paced, mid-skilled midfielders - someone needs to held accountable for such poor recruiting.

Next.

He's a very good user of the ball but he doesn't get it enough, even at VFL level. He'll have a week or two where he'll get it 28 times and then go missing. Also, maybe it's just me but his body language isn't that great. Everything looks to be an effort to him. For a guy that was supposedly a hard nut he seems to lack intensity. I look back to when he and Swallow were recruited together and think hoiw great it'd be if he had Swallow's attack on the ball and Swallow had his foot skills. The difference is Swallow is working on his deficiencies, not sure if Riggio is. He's still got time but he'd want to get a move on.

Put it this way, I'd be embarrassed if I'd been at a club for 4 years and kids who had been there 5 minutes were already ahead of me in the pecking order.

attitude problems?? is he still up him self is that what your talking about?
4th season only 9 games, what is he on the list for defense or midfield? His the type of player who never gives up, well at least he use to be, kangs drafted him in 05 at pick 28 which is very high considering he didnt make the state 18s that year. sadly out of the 9 games he really hasnt shown much to keep him on next season

I think he does his best work off the field

haha, yeah i believe so. what is he getting up towhich is causing us to make such comments?

Could still find a place imo.

Would prefer 15 Riggio possession's to 15 Power ones any day.

People forget he played 7 straight games last year, of which some were very good.

His game against West Coast last year was good, he actually showed the ability to raise his eyes, a rare feat for a NM midfielder.

He showed an ability to hit up leading targets.

Anyone on our list with footskills should be playing in my opinion.

Some big calls to be made at the end of the year.

I'm huge Ed fan, however, hes been extremely dissapointing besides the two finals (obviously big occassions to pull them out).

He's had 30 games of experience now, and still only operating at 10 poss' a game.

He has good toughness, but is limited by his disposal at AFL level, which is below par.

----------------------------------------------

Riggio is at the opposite end of the spectrum, much maligned on here for percieved lazyness.

However, in the AFL games he played, he showed some v.good signs. Especially in the 7 games he played in a row last year (which most forget)

Has excellent field kicking, and on numerous occassions, displayed an ability to hit up leading targets, with often intelligent kicks that most other players (particularly on our list) wouldnt see.

Neither are quick.

But id be inclined to think, if Riggio had 21 more games on the board, he'd be performing better than Ed Lower.

Opinions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some real misunderstanding of what Ed Lower has been asked to do this year IMO. I agree he gone backwards with the footy, but he has a tough gig. Very ****ing tough. Tagging from a HF flank requires concentration when they have it and to be damaging when North get it. No bludging. He covers big ground, too.

Riggio was very good today. He may still be another run from being ready, but he didn't look like he had been injured.
He still tries to do too much at times and gets done in tackles, but he worked hard and was always around the ball.

Yep. But he aint a good bloke __aria__. Therefore Dean Laidleys doesn't think much of his footballing talent.:(
So you and your mate devil fish and __aria__ want to play a bloke who has played half a game of vfl reserves football since the intraclub?

Riggio was very good today. He may still be another run from being ready, but he didn't look like he had been injured.
He still tries to do too much at times and gets done in tackles, but he worked hard and was always around the ball.

That's great.

I'd like to see him get a run against the Power. I think it's time we just play players like Riggio over someone like Power.

Yep. But he aint a good bloke __aria__. Therefore Dean Laidleys doesn't think much of his footballing talent.:(

Here lies a problem that i have with people who think that you should reward footballing talent alone.

You can't play blokes who may have done the wrong thing by the group, or who might shirk it on the track. Geelong did it for 50 years and see where it got them. They bit the bullet and said to to their players, you play for the team and you train your ass of on the track; and you'll get a game, and they win a premiership. Same things happened at St Kilda.

I'm not saying Riggio has done these things, but if he hasn't done the work or toed the line then for the sake of the clubs culture he doesn't play. On the flipside, if he has done all the work and he has the fitness base at a level that he could play say 70% of this week, i'd play him.

well dean will have to give him 3 - 4 games this year to see if he can still cut it as he is on the "who to delist list" atm

Both have potential and both are dangerous. They just need the chance and be played in the RIGHT position where they can be the most dangerous. IMO i cant choose between the two because neither of them have had the chance to show there potential. Hopefully both get chosen this week and we can separate the two.

So you and your mate devil fish and __aria__ want to play a bloke who has played half a game of vfl reserves football since the intraclub?

Urmore can you suggest other ways of how up and coming youngsters can get AFL gametime, I'd like to know how :confused:

Urmore can you suggest other ways of how up and coming youngsters can get AFL gametime, I'd like to know how :confused:
There is no other way to get AFL gametime. But did you want him to play on Friday? We arent talking about non selection due to form here.

When everyone else in our team and the opposition have played in around 3-5 intraclub or practice matches and 3-5 weeks of afl home and away games, you want a guy who has had a 9 week injury and 40 carefully managed minutes of gametime in VFL reserves for the season to rock up and be competitive in an AFL game.

I want Riggio in the team too, but only after he can run out a vfl game or two. He has just come back from some stress facture related issues to his legs hasn't he? Three weeks ago his main training session consisted of riding a scooter around a park. And to think he is probably fighting for a spot on the list come the end of the year. Wouldnt have thought it would be fair to anyone (especially Matt) to put a guy under that much pressure.

Im sure I dont need to remind anyone of all the kids who have come to the club with big wraps on them only to see them limp away a couple of years later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back