Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Don't think he's soft. His body has just been wrecked by the constant injuries and he's now at the point where he's too weak and unathletic to beat AFL level defenders.
I think it’s disingenuous to say he is unathletic, he covers plenty of ground and is plenty mobile when the ball is there to be snapped. He just rolls off contests looking for cheap touches instead of attacking the ball. He is a tall small forward and can’t carry him against strong defences. Get Laverde in who is at least powerful and dangerous around goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s disingenuous to say he is unathletic, he covers plenty of ground and is plenty mobile when the ball is there to be snapped. He just rolls off contests looking for cheap touches instead of attacking the ball. He is a tall small forward and can’t carry him against strong defences. Get Laverde in who is at least powerful and dangerous around goals.
Nah he's definitely a low level athlete for a forward. I agree that he should be transitioned out of the side

fairbump_playon

All Australian
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Covers great ground but he’s just not very strong or explosive / springy. He should never be a down the line stationary option.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Might be time blood Draper in place of Mitch and let Joe stay forward for a bit. I say this even after giving Brown a vote last week, but we need to look forward now and Drapes is ready.

Donakebab

Premium Platinum
May 18, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
The difference from praise last week to criticism this week happened within one post.

Not willing to write him off just yet, but yesterday wasn't a great performance.
Played a poor game, but wasn't helped in the slightest with the way we delivered the ball. He's not strong in the contest, so constantly bombing it on his head was never going to turn out well, especially when he's giving away height and a lot of weight to Roughead.

afairgo

Debutant
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Played a poor game, but wasn't helped in the slightest with the way we delivered the ball. He's not strong in the contest, so constantly bombing it on his head was never going to turn out well, especially when he's giving away height and a lot of weight to Roughead.
Delivery not good and question whether he and danniher crowd each other running up field. At least Stewart would score a couple running back into goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mzuppit

Debutant
Jul 9, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Out for 3-4 weeks with a fractured wrist. No surgery required. Who to bring in? Laverde? Draper debut?

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
So we have 6 or 7 players on the injury list, and yet 4 of them are key forwards/rucks. The actual ****?

If it were any other game I'd simply play Hooker forward but then we don't have a match for Hawkins

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Depending on how they perform on the weekend, I'd expect one (or both) of Begley and Laverde to come in. Begley is on 100% VFL tomorrow coming back from his ACL, Laverde has had a couple of weeks since his rolled ankle. Also have Fantasia to come in though and playing a relatively small forward line up has been done before (Brown+Stringer+3 smalls vs. Brisbane). Perhaps that's not going to work against Geelong though? (I know nothing about Geelong here; is it feasible?)

Darealrath

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal, Pacers
That's a reasonable loss given McKernan and Stewart aren't available. Laverde seems the most likely because I don't see us playing Draper or Bellchambers big minutes forward.

Mercurial89

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Depending on how they perform on the weekend, I'd expect one (or both) of Begley and Laverde to come in. Begley is on 100% VFL tomorrow coming back from his ACL, Laverde has had a couple of weeks since his rolled ankle. Also have Fantasia to come in though and playing a relatively small forward line up has been done before (Brown+Stringer+3 smalls vs. Brisbane). Perhaps that's not going to work against Geelong though? (I know nothing about Geelong here; is it feasible?)
Massive loss coming up against a really strong aerial defense like Geelong. If we aren't proactive we will bomb it in and get repelled with ease.

Though being smaller may mean quicker which may cause them issues.

Top Bottom