Player Watch #28: Mitch Brown - Back in the side - 19/6

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
That one caught me off guard, I'll have to remember that phrase.

Eating his own balls.

Yeah, a mate picked it up from his soccer club many years ago.

I really don't know how but it just seems to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Missed with wrist soreness, given he was just coming back from a broken wrist. Should be putting his hand up for selection.

“Mitch Brown is another who looks like he will put his hand up for selection following his wrist soreness. Keeping him out two weeks ago was a precaution and he has trained well since, so hopefully he will be back on the field this week.”
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-06-11/skins-injury-update-rd-13

Whether he is actually selected or not is another story.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon

Lore

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be surprised if he wasn't selected. His form pre injury was stronger than what McKernan or Francis has been producing.
Missed three weeks (R6-8) with a broken wrist, then in round 9 he was an emergency and played in the VFL while McKernan, Francis, Stringer, Laverde, Begley, Walla played as our forward line against Richmond. Brown then missed round 10 as a precaution due to possibly reinjuring his wrist in round 9.

If we've played this line up three weeks ago while Brown came back through the VFL, I don't see why he'd be straight in this time. Unless it's down to match ups? :shrug:

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Missed three weeks (R6-8) with a broken wrist, then in round 9 he was an emergency and played in the VFL while McKernan, Francis, Stringer, Laverde, Begley, Walla played as our forward line against Richmond. Brown then missed round 10 as a precaution due to possibly reinjuring his wrist in round 9.

If we've played this line up three weeks ago while Brown came back through the VFL, I don't see why he'd be straight in this time. Unless it's down to match ups? :shrug:
Fair point, I must admit I thought Daniher was still in the side when Brown played VFL but I guess that was the round prior when Daniher last played.

Nonetheless neither McKernan nor Francis are kicking many goals at all so far this year. Now admittedly conditions have been lousy for key forwards the past 2 weeks but they aren't exactly putting in the kinds of performances where you would hesitate to drop them if you thought you had a better option.

Bombers36

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
I really hope he gets named in the 22. He is super important to the team right now with his marking and ability to cover the ground, and a 1.4 goal average is pretty decent - better than McKernan who has averaged 1 goal a game and seems a little out of form, and Francis. Francis may come good up forward, but I'd much rather him plying his forward craft in the reserves than the seniors right now where he has yet to kick a goal in his 8 games this year. If Brown's wrist is OK I'd drop Francis back to the reserves but play him at full forward, it takes the pressure of Stringer and SMACK also with Brown in the team.

bombitlong!

Draftee
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

How good is the clip of Browns work rate and ability to read the play. We usually only see the finished product of him taking a mark on his chest from a lead up, or getting the ball over the back. This shows the sort of stuff he does to get to that point. He is so quick to get on his bike, which caught the defenders off guard. Very smart player with an elite work rate.

Old Campaigner

Premium Gold
Nov 22, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
That’s why I like him in the senior side, we seem to move the ball a lot better with him leading up the wing to provide a target when the opposition have blocked the corridor. With him out of the side we did a lot of bombing down the line to a contest which slowed our moved and often just turned it over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom