Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

How do you bump and block when you run away from contests?
To describe him as "running away from contests" might be a bit unfair.

Overall you are bit harsh on Mitch I reckon. He is not perfect but has been pretty handy this year with his ability to link up and pop up for crucial goals here and there.

How do you bump and block when you run away from contests? He reminds me of the victims of car jackings in what ever Grand Theft Auto game I played. He'll go towards a marking or contested situation or just end up at a contest (i.e. he's out innocently driving his car) and the he literally turns and jogs away (I.e. as soon as I get that door open). I'm my mind I'm chasing him trying to hit him with a tyre iron but then the cops are there and it's a shootout.

It would be respectable if he was loading up to smash the next pack but you know very well he isn't doing that.

The reason I said he should not be call cowardly is because the extent to which he avoids contests is so obvious and so strange it's probably an instruction.

That to me is an incredibly strange instruction to give to a player playing as a key forward. I have to say that every now and then he is committed to a ball in the air and there is contact but it almost like his misread the potential for impending contact and he takes a weird chest mark as though the ball just falls in his lap.

He gets the majority of his goals basically as an overlap option taking uncontested ball forward.

What am I not seeing?

Not what I was saying. Virtually none of our forwards block for each other was the point.
I would say watch how many times he gets smashed under packs on the kick ins . What you describe has a lot of fact in it . He is not a contested marking forward. Never has been. He is playing a role that has to be filled but is not his go. He is the third leading / mobile tall who can use his run to create the space.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Not what I was saying. Virtually none of our forwards block for each other was the point.
I would say watch how many times he gets smashed under packs on the kick ins . What you describe has a lot of fact in it . He is not a contested marking forward. Never has been. He is playing a role that has to be filled but is not his go. He is the third leading / mobile tall who can use his run to create the space.

Agreed - watching Ambrose play forward for just a half of football, it was notable how often he blocked. But that’s just it...it stood out, because we’re so unaccustomed to seeing it.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
Agreed - watching Ambrose play forward for just a half of football, it was notable how often he blocked. But that’s just it...it stood out, because we’re so unaccustomed to seeing it.
Watching Ambrose play forward competently for just a half despite training for years as a defender and seeing that this "role" bullshit is totally overblown.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Against poor teams. His role doesn’t exist in tight games. He’s played 7 games against top eight teams, for 6 goals. Three of them came against the Lions when they were still playing inconsistent football. Remove that game and he’s got three goals from 6 games.

It will be against all evidence if he offers us something next game.

He’s got a lot out of himself the last two years for us, but he doesn’t have the tools required to offer us something going forward.

If we're being selective with stats, and using what you've used for Brown, Walla has kicked 4 goals from 8 games against top 8 sides, and 2 of those came on Friday. Based on that evidence, he won't do anything next week. Easy to be selective to suit your narrative.

How do you bump and block when you run away from contests? He reminds me of the victims of car jackings in what ever Grand Theft Auto game I played. He'll go towards a marking or contested situation or just end up at a contest (i.e. he's out innocently driving his car) and the he literally turns and jogs away (I.e. as soon as I get that door open). I'm my mind I'm chasing him trying to hit him with a tyre iron but then the cops are there and it's a shootout.

It would be respectable if he was loading up to smash the next pack but you know very well he isn't doing that.

The reason I said he should not be call cowardly is because the extent to which he avoids contests is so obvious and so strange it's probably an instruction.

That to me is an incredibly strange instruction to give to a player playing as a key forward. I have to say that every now and then he is committed to a ball in the air and there is contact but it almost like his misread the potential for impending contact and he takes a weird chest mark as though the ball just falls in his lap.

He gets the majority of his goals basically as an overlap option taking uncontested ball forward.

What am I not seeing?

I think you're seeing what you want to see, or what you've seen a few times before, and just consider that to be the norm, when it's not.

Pretty sure he was the one that went up in a pack against Jeremy Howe while Laverde just watched. He goes up in a pack a couple of times a game. That much I'm sure of.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
If we're being selective with stats, and using what you've used for Brown, Walla has kicked 4 goals from 8 games against top 8 sides, and 2 of those came on Friday. Based on that evidence, he won't do anything next week. Easy to be selective to suit your narrative.

I used that stat because it’s all he brings. Tippas game isn’t entirely based on one metric.

I used that stat because it’s all he brings. Tippas game isn’t entirely based on one metric.
Nor is Mitch Brown's. You can't remove a statistic just because it doesn't back up your argument! That lions side was pretty strong, even though they did not beat us. Marcus Adams is the only defender who has come into their back six since...

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Nor is Mitch Brown's. You can't remove a statistic just because it doesn't back up your argument! That lions side was pretty strong, even though they did not beat us. Marcus Adams is the only defender who has come into their back six since...

They were rubbish. On the radio before the Geelong game last week Fagan said he changed the way they played on the basis of that game.

Mitch Browns game is entirely based on goal kicking against good sides because the space to take uncontested marks doesn’t exist against good teams. He doesn’t pressure, he doesn’t compete. Tippa does both those things in spades and regularly goes through the middle and on the wing.

Last edited:
They were rubbish. On the radio before the Geelong game last week Fagan said he changed the way they played on the basis of that game.

Mitch Browns game is entirely based on goal kicking against good sides because the space to take uncontested marks doesn’t exist against good teams. He doesn’t pressure, he doesn’t compete. Tippa does both those things in spades and regularly goes through the middle and on the wing.
Tippa is a small forward and right now wouldn’t be far off elite level. Not sure why you are comparing them to be honest because they play completely different roles.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Tippa is a small forward and right now wouldn’t be far off elite level. Not sure why you are comparing them to be honest because they play completely different roles.

I didn’t compare them. Kakkle did. I just replied why that was a bad idea.

The role stuff is nonsensical. You think they tell Brown it’s not his role to compete in contests when his man is going for the mark, not to pressure when he’s closest to the ball? He doesn’t do those things because it’s not in his tool bag.

Mitch Brown has a role for a team that can maintain possession. We cannot and don’t have the players to think it’s likely while he’ll be playing.

What we have are the players to play a pressure based turnover game. His style is antithetical to that.

The role stuff is nonsensical. You think they tell Brown it’s not his role to compete in contests when his man is going for the mark, not to pressure when he’s closest to the ball? He doesn’t do those things because it’s not in his tool bag.

Mitch Brown has a role for a team that can maintain possession. We cannot and don’t have the players to think it’s likely while he’ll be playing.

What we have are the players to play a pressure based turnover game. His style is antithetical to that.
I can’t be arsed arguing. I don’t agree with a lot of the negative stuff but I am sure that we can both agree that Perth in two weeks will be a good test for him. The crows haven’t shown up and Hawthorne have screwed us.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he is a good depth but he should not be an instant starter which is what he seems to be right now.

He is not a contested marker so I don't hold that against him but what I do think is that he is very slow defensively and is probably one of our worst at stopping teams waltz out of our forward line.

I actually think he should be depth for Stringer.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I can’t be arsed arguing. I don’t agree with a lot of the negative stuff but I am sure that we can both agree that Perth in two weeks will be a good test for him. The crows haven’t shown up and Hawthorne have screwed us.

I actually think the Eagles are the best result for him individually and the worst result for our chances. They’ll give him space on the wings if he wants to get on his bike and then close down the inside 50 kick.

I think he is a good depth but he should not be an instant starter which is what he seems to be right now.

He is not a contested marker so I don't hold that against him but what I do think is that he is very slow defensively and is probably one of our worst at stopping teams waltz out of our forward line.

I actually think he should be depth for Stringer.
A fit and in form Jimmy Stewart would be the preferred option wouldn’t he?

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers

I wasn't really comparing them, just showing you that using selective stats can bend a argument significantly one way or another.

I don't think people are necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying though, and I agree in parts, but due to injuries he's all we really have, and I'm happy to back him in.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I actually think the Eagles are the best result for him individually and the worst result for our chances. They’ll give him space on the wings if he wants to get on his bike and then close down the inside 50 kick.
My opinion, based on no stats, Eagles have the best defensive setup and we have the worst forward setup coupled with terrible delivery. We’ll be lucky to kick 6 goals on the night (assuming a night game). Not a reflection on Brown. Daniher and Stringer are probably the only forwards you could expect to penetrate the Eagles defense and we’re without one of them and potentially both (though Stringer should get up).

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
A fit and in form Jimmy Stewart would be the preferred option wouldn’t he?

Would be ideal, but he's missed so much football now, and will not have played senior football in 18 months come round 1 next year. He's basically become this big unknown.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
My opinion, based on no stats, Eagles have the best defensive setup and we have the worst forward setup coupled with terrible delivery. We’ll be lucky to kick 6 goals on the night (assuming a night game). Not a reflection on Brown. Daniher and Stringer are probably the only forwards you could expect to penetrate the Eagles defense and we’re without one of them and potentially both (though Stringer should get up).
Yep, if we vs the Eagles then Brown shouldn't play, its stiff but we don't have the cattle to go tall against them, might as well get some more runners and hope we can keep our kicks short.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing about Mitch Brown is that if you don't respect him he is accurate and he can kick multiple goals on you.

He also is a great contributor to the opposition opposition fan annoyance factor which is the Essendon forward line. Glorious melts for all to enjoy when Brown, SMAC, Stringer and Fantasia get going.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I wasn't really comparing them, just showing you that using selective stats can bend a argument significantly one way or another.

I don't think people are necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying though, and I agree in parts, but due to injuries he's all we really have, and I'm happy to back him in.

Sure I got that but I just disagree that it’s selective. Just gave everyone the benefit of knowing the little else he offers.

I do disagree that we don’t have other options though. Ambrose showed a stack more and would happily select Ridley or BZT down back in his absence.

My thoughts too. He is nowhere near as bad as some people are making out. He has played some really good footy for us this year at different stages which is being overlooked. He is a very handy player to have waiting in the wings because he can come in and do a job.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

Don’t get me wrong I doubt he’d hit the scoreboard with anything significant but could have 8-9 marks and 18ish disposals is what I meant.

Back