Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

I know stats arent everything but Kerrs look really decent in the VFL. Moores are terrible. Kerr younger and bigger also. Would be a nice rookie prospect alongside Bowman.
Moore split his time between forward and back.

Tazdog

All Australian
Nov 8, 2015
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Delisting brown makes me very happy. The bloke is literally scared of the ball and any contact whatsoever. Frustrated me when I saw him play. I don't know why people are mad about this. He clearly shouldn't be best 22, and the fact that he was is a testament to how little KPF depth we have. Also probably makes you think that dodo is going for a jones/jeka/riccardi in this draft and maybe a stop gap like Moore which is exciting

Absolutely bewildering as to why you'd delist a KPF whose been as serviceable as Brown when Daniher, Smack and Stewart have struggled with fitness.

1.3 goals, 14 disposals, 6 marks but wait ... oh nooo .... you only averaged 1 tackle ... sorry ... not good enough for our forward press

I suppose the coaches want a higher pressure game style, and you have to start instilling that attitude somehow.

Start treating it as a positive attribute. Reward players that chase and tackle with intensity with senior games or contract extensions. Delist players who are not willing (or able) to crack in. Send a strong signal to the playing group about what the coaching team expect from players and see which players are willing to deliver on it. Make it a focus of post game performance reviews.

Changing the culture of an organisation requires a holistic approach. The words, actions, behaviours that get rewarded by leaders, and recruitment all need to be aligned to the new culture that the club leadership are trying to foster. I guess in some cases this will mean someone like Brown, who is a handy enough player, doesn't fit in with the new culture and is cut from the list.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Absolutely bewildering as to why you'd delist a KPF whose been as serviceable as Brown when Daniher, Smack and Stewart have struggled with fitness.

1.3 goals, 14 disposals, 6 marks but wait ... oh nooo .... you only averaged 1 tackle ... sorry ... not good enough for our forward press

The last line of your post along with the fact he is a KPF who only averages 0.5 contested marks a game is all the answer you need for his delisting.

He has his strengths. He runs all day and he is a good set shot.

However he has no ability to halve a contest and he produces zero pressure once the opposition have the ball.

He is not a KPF and that is painfully obvious and we have better options as third talls.

essendon

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Hillside
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United
Very serviceable and served your purpose as a top up player when needed...thank you but we must move on, gotta think it has to be big year for Stewart and Laverde to play that role

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
I suppose the coaches want a higher pressure game style, and you have to start instilling that attitude somehow.

Start treating it as a positive attribute. Reward players that chase and tackle with intensity with senior games or contract extensions. Delist players who are not willing (or able) to crack in. Send a strong signal to the playing group about what the coaching team expect from players and see which players are willing to deliver on it. Make it a focus of post game performance reviews.

Changing the culture of an organisation requires a holistic approach. The words, actions, behaviours that get rewarded by leaders, and recruitment all need to be aligned to the new culture that the club leadership are trying to foster. I guess in some cases this will mean someone like Brown, who is a handy enough player, doesn't fit in with the new culture and is cut from the list.
Yeah and there's nothing wrong with trying to instill a stronger defensive mentality into the group, however you still need forward targets who are fit. And do our other KPFs really come across as being so much more aggressive in chasing down players?
The last line of your post along with the fact he is a KPF who only averages 0.5 contested marks a game is all the answer you need for his delisting.

He has his strengths. He runs all day and he is a good set shot.

However he has no ability to halve a contest and he produces zero pressure once the opposition have the ball.

He is not a KPF and that is painfully obvious and we have better options as third talls.
As a depth player, there's nothing wrong with those stats. Ideally he'd have more contested marks however the way we delivered the ball inside the forward half let alone forward 50 was absolutely diabolical, so it's no surprise those stats aren't better.

Beggars can't be choosers, and with the KPF injury history we have he's the logical (and cheap) option to retain.

Problem is when we speak of KPFs you envisage a guy who take take a grab. Brown has never really been able to do that and it was glowingly highlighted in that last month.

Smart footballer, maybe coaching is his next step.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t see the problem with Callum Moore. He’s only 23. He comes from a successful club and Rutten and Caracella must rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a depth player, there's nothing wrong with those stats. Ideally he'd have more contested marks however the way we delivered the ball inside the forward half let alone forward 50 was absolutely diabolical, so it's no surprise those stats aren't better.

His contested marking stats aren’t better because he tries to chest mark instead of marking out in front. That is not the fault of the delivery.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah and there's nothing wrong with trying to instill a stronger defensive mentality into the group, however you still need forward targets who are fit. And do our other KPFs really come across as being so much more aggressive in chasing down players?

Beggars can't be choosers, and with the KPF injury history we have he's the logical (and cheap) option to retain.

Do you really think 0.5 contested marks a game is acceptable in a KPF?

I really think the difference in opinion we have here is that you think he is a KPF and that he is good enough as depth whereas I think he is not a KPF so should not be kept as KPF depth.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Hartley is behind Hurley, Hooker, Francis and Zerk Thatcher and i doubt he will play forward - A bewildering decision.
Hurley and Hooker both struggle with their bodies a bit these days, and with Brown out we may see more of Hooker up forward. BZT should be getting as many games as possible but will have to be managed because he's still young. Francis plays better as a third tall rather than sticking to a man. It's not really bewildering.

Hurley and Hooker both struggle with their bodies a bit these days, and with Brown out we may see more of Hooker up forward. BZT should be getting as many games as possible but will have to be managed because he's still young. Francis plays better as a third tall rather than sticking to a man. It's not really bewildering.

Except your post suggests it is a bewildering decision - Brown has got far more games than Hartley in the last two years and it's hard to see Hartley receiving many games in 2020.

Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose and Francis as core along with Saad and Gleeson. Redman in there too. No room for Hartley unless we lose a few with injuries. Another development year for BZT predominantly in the VFL

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Stats Pro has Brown with no defensive game but a lot of disposals and high disposal efficiency. He's below average for marks inside 50 but above for marks. He's a front runner playing up the ground as a link up. They obviously think Moore can at least do the same with a better defensive game and is younger.
For those thinking Langford could be what Brown has been, his numbers look similar if not worse.

Stats Pro has Brown with no defensive game but a lot of disposals and high disposal efficiency. He's below average for marks inside 50 but above for marks. He's a front runner playing up the ground as a link up. They obviously think Moore can at least do the same with a better defensive game and is younger.
For those thinking Langford could be what Brown has been, his numbers look similar if not worse.

If Langford spends as much time forward as Brown did that could change. Langford better overhead and better tackler from his time in the mid.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Except your post suggests it is a bewildering decision - Brown has got far more games than Hartley in the last two years and it's hard to see Hartley receiving many games in 2020.
Brown played more games than Hartley because we've had more injuries in his side of the ground.
Again, the guys Hartley is competing with are all likely to miss games at some stage, and if they're dropping a depth forward it obviously means that they are going to use someone else in that spot if they need to.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Brown played more games than Hartley because we've had more injuries in his side of the ground.
Again, the guys Hartley is competing with are all likely to miss games at some stage, and if they're dropping a depth forward it obviously means that they are going to use someone else in that spot if they need to.
Then why didn’t they? Perhaps they don’t believe Hooker can hold down a key defensive post any longer and also BZT needs game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back