Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brown was a better forward than Hooker he would have gone at pick 4 not 64. Hooker is a 50+ goal forward in a functioning side, i don't think there is any doubts about that given he was performing at nearly that level with no midfield. He looks every bit the forward in his approach as well... he has the bustle and attitude, he leads hard and marks with conviction. There is no wishy washy Carlisle about him at all. We need to build a bridge over our past and realise that some players really can make the switch without stuffing their careers.

Worsfold himself said that Hooker was a backman, not a forward.

Also, if you watched those games, you'd realise that Hooker was getting the 3rd defender, while Daniher was double teamed.

good luck with Brown, he never got a good run at the cats, we should have kept him

I think his best role would be 3rd tall forward who gets right up the ground, I think defensively he will get bullied against bigger players but having such great kicking skills he'd still be useful

get 20-50 games into him and I think he'll become a very good player, just needs confidence at AFL level

good luck with Brown, he never got a good run at the cats, we should have kept him

I think his best role would be 3rd tall forward who gets right up the ground, I think defensively he will get bullied against bigger players but having such great kicking skills he'd still be useful

get 20-50 games into him and I think he'll become a very good player, just needs confidence at AFL level

Thanks mate, he's your (to a lesser extent) Gumbleton we always wanted good things for that man, even at another club!

Also, if you watched those games, you'd realise that Hooker was getting the 3rd defender, while Daniher was double teamed.
Well that takes the shine off a little, but the fact is that he still ticked all the boxes. We require no further evidence regarding his marking, and i think he showed that he could lead well. In what aspect do you expect he would fall down in?

Well that takes the shine off a little, but the fact is that he still ticked all the boxes. We require no further evidence regarding his marking, and i think he showed that he could lead well. In what aspect do you expect he would fall down in?
His set shots were the worst in the league.

I just think there's a reason as to why we have acquired Mitch Brown, I think it's as a forward. Hooker is a top 3 back in the league, he's not even a top 25 forward. I firmly believe he's wasted there.

I just think there's a reason as to why we have acquired Mitch Brown, I think it's as a forward. Hooker is a top 3 back in the league, he's not even a top 25 forward. I firmly believe he's wasted there.
Agree, but I think Hooker could be an elite forward as well.

He really is a fantastic player. Hooker is a better forward than Brown, but Brown will be a very serviceable partner for Daniher.

Hooker is an AA back and should stay put.

Agree, but I think Hooker could be an elite forward as well.

He really is a fantastic player. Hooker is a better forward than Brown, but Brown will be a very serviceable partner for Daniher.

Hooker is an AA back and should stay put.

Brown is that guy who gives you that solid 1-3 goals a game, brings the ball to ground in front of him, we know what we will get from him each week.
Daniher on the other hand can get 0-11 goals.
I think we will see Langford play that medium lead up forward, similar to Gunston in 2016.
We have a really flexible line up of talls now, so we can tailor our lineup every week for our opponents.

I have no idea what we do with Bellchambers and McKernan.

Hooker is just not a forward. Like eth said, his set shots were cringworthy at times. He is one of the best defenders in the league. Why not leave him there? We've tried with Hurley and Carlisle as well. It just doesn't work.

Brown is a serviceable forward and I expect him to play forward. McKernan is also likely to play forward as well. Our backline is our strength so let's keep it as good as we can get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of playing Brown forward and Hurley and Hooker back with the smaller Hibberd and Francis.

Then, if we do need that third tall defender, Brown can shift back for some extra cover and we can go with a smaller forward line.

Was always on the fringe and never backed unlike Shane Kersten whom Brown out performed any time he was played I thought. If he's put on some weight he'll be a better marking target and he's pretty mobile.

Anyone care to confirm this? I don't recall seeing that personally
Absolutely not the case - Daniher was double teamed all year but Hooker was not getting the third tall defender.

Might have had the second defender (at times he had the best, just about match-ups) but no team uses their two best KPD exclusively on one player. The player double teaming is whoevers playing loose - usually a Hodge/Gibson type third up player.

Another thing - of course he's better back than forward. Just about every tall player in history is better back than forward (if they apply themselves to the task)..... because it's easier to play back. It's easier to spoil the ball than it is to mark it, it's easier to kick the ball 50 metres up the line than it is to kick goals and its easier to jump into players than have them jump into you. Wayne Carey would have been the best CHB the game has ever seen, Gary Ablett would have been unstoppable running off half-back ( if, perhaps, a little loose....). The issue is not where he plays his best footy, it's where does the team benefit most from having him play.

As things stand today, I think Hooker is the most effective key forward on our list.

Hooker is just not a forward. Like eth said, his set shots were cringworthy at times. He is one of the best defenders in the league. Why not leave him there? We've tried with Hurley and Carlisle as well. It just doesn't work.

Brown is a serviceable forward and I expect him to play forward. McKernan is also likely to play forward as well. Our backline is our strength so let's keep it as good as we can get it.
He's a forward if he plays forward....goal kicking needs work but draws the ball and clunks it better than anyone else on our list.

You are making it up. Who did Rance play on. Hooker or JD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back