Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry but you have the blinkers on. He does not squib every contest. Go back and watch our kick ins and see how many times he is the bloke being used as a step ladder for two or three opponents to start with. He has been climbed on that often he now has steps on his back.

I know it hurts, but sometime the "structure" or the role is just wrong.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He's played the game he was always going to play and you're arguing that he should still have been allowed to play it, not just not being effective at all but squibbing every contest he is involved in when at a minimum we require physicality.

It's probably up to you to seriously argue how you justify bringing that into a final.
I think there is a difference between someone who lacks physicality and someone who is a squib. Brown isn’t a physical player, for obvious reasons, but I think he goes when it’s his turn...I have seen him go back with the flight more than a few times. He’s not a squib.

That doesn’t mean you are wrong about everything else though - I have also questioned Browns spot in the team.

I think there is a difference between someone who lacks physicality and someone who is a squib. Brown isn’t a physical player, for obvious reasons, but I think he goes when it’s his turn...I have seen him go back with the flight more than a few times. He’s not a squib.

That doesn’t mean you are wrong about everything else though - I have also questioned Browns spot in the team.

Yes but he is only in the team because there is nothing behind him. You can not select a marking forward who is not there. Who else do you go with ? I have never said he is a lock for the team. He is only playing because we have had a string of injuries to forwards of all sizes. He has been better than Begley , Bagually and Laverde, all who have played. Gown and Houlihan are miles off it. Where else do you go? Hooker forward did not work this year either. Like I have said people did not consider us a top 8 side because they thought Mitch Brown was going to be our key forward.

I know it hurts, but sometime the "structure" or the role is just wrong.

No the issue is you calling him a squib when he is not and the fact that cupboard was bare. To even bring up Bagually or Begley as an alternative is laughable. Sure both may have bowled someone over if they even got close enough to the contest but that is not even going to be close to matching Browns output. Lets face it you may as well be calling Joe Daniher a squib as well as it is not his style to physically knock someone over either. Same for Fantaisia.

Brown goes hard when he has to. He stands under poorly kicked high balls. He is not a squib.

As for the structure or role. You can only play with the cards you have and there where certainly no jokers left in our pack. Try the Bulldogs game for example where we brought back the more physical harder body veterans and got blown of the park.

If we think Daniher or Stewart are over their OP, I'm happy for Brown to retire. Along with McKernan they are the KPPs. With a full side, Brown is competing with Stringer, Laverde, Langford and Begley for a mid-sized forward position.

If we think Daniher or Stewart are over their OP, I'm happy for Brown to retire. Along with McKernan they are the KPPs. With a full side, Brown is competing with Stringer, Laverde, Langford and Begley for a mid-sized forward position.
Brown has signed but yes his spot in the side is certainly questionable if we have all options available.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes but he is only in the team because there is nothing behind him. You can not select a marking forward who is not there. Who else do you go with ? I have never said he is a lock for the team. He is only playing because we have had a string of injuries to forwards of all sizes. He has been better than Begley , Bagually and Laverde, all who have played. Gown and Houlihan are miles off it. Where else do you go? Hooker forward did not work this year either. Like I have said people did not consider us a top 8 side because they thought Mitch Brown was going to be our key forward.
Dude - thrust of the post was that he isn’t a squib. I get all of that.

Has Brown signed on? Thought he was still out of contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought I read he had signed for another year around 4 weeks ago.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
No the issue is you calling him a squib when he is not and the fact that cupboard was bare. To even bring up Bagually or Begley as an alternative is laughable. Sure both may have bowled someone over if they even got close enough to the contest but that is not even going to be close to matching Browns output. Lets face it you may as well be calling Joe Daniher a squib as well as it is not his style to physically knock someone over either. Same for Fantaisia.

Brown goes hard when he has to. He stands under poorly kicked high balls. He is not a squib.

As for the structure or role. You can only play with the cards you have and there where certainly no jokers left in our pack. Try the Bulldogs game for example where we brought back the more physical harder body veterans and got blown of the park.

What if the incident Ling called out is what I have seen for basically every involvement for the last two years?

The choice is between engaging the player and ball or zoning or making space and he always chooses the latter. You can go and find the 1 or 2 times a game he literally cant make the choice and if that proves the hyperbole wrong then so be it but it doesn't disprove the point.

If you look closely Brown is not "under" that pack you're talking about. If his doesnt have the line he ends up at the side not even trying to block for a better placed team mate.

Have I ever taken this view about anyone else? Ever called "hardness" into question?

Brown actively avoids contact. For all of the s**t hung on the likes Zaharakis, Langford and Stanton, Brown is the only Essendon player who, having been in yh4 system for 10 years, never "goes" when he has a choice.

He's not some kid like Dyson and Dyson fixed that part of his game anyway.

What if the incident Ling called out is what I have seen for basically every involvements for the last two years?

The choice is between engaging the player and ball or zoning or making space and he always chooses the latter. You can go and find the 1 or 2 times a game he literally cant make the choice and if that proves the hyperbole wrong then so be it but it doesn't disprove the point.

Have I ever taken this view about anyone else? Ever called "hardness" into question?

Brown actively avoids contact. For all of the s**t hung on the likes Zaharakis, Langford and Stanton Brown is the only Essendon player who never "goes" when he has a choice.

Do not agree. If he always avoided contact then he would go no where near leading for the ball on a kick in. He would lead to the other side of the ground. I could pick out pretty much all of our players as far as avoiding contact at various stages.

Secondly you are arguing a point about a player who is number 30 to 40 on the list playing a role that should be covered by player 5 to 15 and the coach selecting him to play in front of other non performers who may provide a physical contest 3 or 4 times more in a game.

Seriously it is like asking do you want a dog s**t burger , a cat s**t burger or a monkey s**t burger. In the end it is a s**t burger.

Last edited:

number 75

Senior List
Feb 7, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I have a mate who is close with the Balme family and he told me that when Brown was at Geelong Balme delisted him because he was the least competitive player he had ever seen !!.
I think he has been serviceable this season but is never going to be in the team if at full strength ?.

I have a mate who is close with the Balme family and he told me that when Brown was at Geelong Balme delisted him because he was the least competitive player he had ever seen !!.
I think he has been serviceable this season but is never going to be in the team if at full strength ?.
You would not see him in the side if we were at full strength. If you did it's because we're short a first class key forward. Daniher, McKernan and Stringer are your tall three, Brown has had Joe's spot for most of the last couple of years. It's the reason I really can't see us voluntarily trading Joe, unless we think he's genuinely cooked. We need more key forwards, not less, or Brown is best 22.

Brown only played 15 games over 6 years at Geelong due to injuries, and in a side that only finished lower than 3rd once in those 6 years. Two broken legs and a shoulder that needed surgery, didn't do his first proper pre-season until his 4th year. He was originally taken at pick 15 and they expected to get a ten year player at the time of his third significant injury.

I'm not sure they could say much about his competitiveness when he was barely on the park.

number 75

Senior List
Feb 7, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You would not see him in the side if we were at full strength. If you did it's because we're short a first class key forward. Daniher, McKernan and Stringer are your tall three, Brown has had Joe's spot for most of the last couple of years. It's the reason I really can't see us voluntarily trading Joe, unless we think he's genuinely cooked. We need more key forwards, not less, or Brown is best 22.

Brown only played 15 games over 6 years at Geelong due to injuries, and in a side that only finished lower than 3rd once in those 6 years. Two broken legs and a shoulder that needed surgery, didn't do his first proper pre-season until his 4th year. He was originally taken at pick 15 and they expected to get a ten year player at the time of his third significant injury.

I'm not sure they could say much about his competitiveness when he was barely on the park.
I am only stating what I was told and for what it's worth I agree with Balme !!!

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Cant help but revert to JLT in which Daniher played.

Brown was very clearly in the initial planning.

Cant help but revert to JLT in which Daniher played.

Brown was very clearly in the initial planning.
You mean a JLT where we're allowed to name 26-30 players with nothing at stake?

Don35

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Good for few goals on his night. A beautiful kick for goal. Beyond that completely useless footballer who doesn’t belong in a finals side.

Pull in case of emergency. Nothing more.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
You mean a JLT where we're allowed to name 26-30 players with nothing at stake?

Yes, the truncated pre-season comp in which there is no time to experiment with the side.

The best 22 was picked where fit (e.g. Long played JLT 1 because there was no Red,=man or McNeice).

Fringe played as subs.

Yes, the truncated pre-season comp in which there is no time to experiment with the side.

The best 22 was picked where fit (e.g. Long played JLT 1 because there was no Red,=man or McNeice).

Fringe played as subs.
He did not play a single game this year with both McKernan and Daniher also in the side, but if you are that determined to declare Brown as best 22 on the back of a couple of 26-man squad selections in the community series practice matches then go for your life.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know if you noticed but we didn't exactly have contested marking KPFs coming out of the woodwork this season. Sometimes you've just got to make do with what you've got even though it's not necessarily who you'd pick for that role if everyone was fit.
I think this is a key point. I agree with Bruno that Brown’s style won’t cut it in intense games. However I disagree that Begley presented much of a better option this particular September. Baguley certainly not. We don’t have the cattle this year. Maybe Zerk-Thatcher or Hayley back and Ambrose forward? But Ambrose is quite limited forward and was Zerk or Hartley really gonna hold down Kennedy or Darling? No, probably not.

No one is talking Stewart but Worsfold would have dreamed in Feb of a fit and firing Daniher / Stringer / Stewart / Fantasia / Walla / Smith forward line.

Brown has stepped into the breach. Good on him. But this year just didn’t turn out.

Back