Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

He's probably the same player as Lachie Henderson who was also cut

Lachie can take an overhead mark at least. Think that’s what cost Brown in the end, when he asked to play more of that role end of season he failed badly on marking front.

I have a mate who is close with the Balme family and he told me that when Brown was at Geelong Balme delisted him because he was the least competitive player he had ever seen !!.
I think he has been serviceable this season but is never going to be in the team if at full strength ?.
I also don't agree with Bruno often but I do in this case.
I remember the above post also and thought at the time that it made sense as he often goes missing in big games or when it's hot in the kitchen.

I liked him and hope he ends up on another list because he gave us pretty good service.

Sort of reminds me of when we delisted Ricky Dyson after he put together his best season.

It seems harsh but probably makes sense if the club is confident of getting Daniher and Stewart back, and is leaning towards playing Hooker forward.

All the best to him.

Do you think the club thinks we are either in or nearing a premiership window soon.

Yes, The club definitely think it's close. I think we don't know how good we are because we have never had Shiel, Saad, Smith, Stringer, Raz, Joe, Heppell, Merrett, Tippa, Hurley, Hooker probably our best senior players all fit at the same time.

Parish, McGrath, Langford, Redman, Francis, McKenna should all improve next year.

I think we are impossible to place, we could finish 10th or 3rd.

Brown in a forward pressure system (which I hope is what we are transitioning too) will not work, the decision is sound.

Joe, Stew, Smack, Hooker(swings), Gown
Jake, Langers, Lav
Raz, Tippa, Mozzie, Snelling, Smith (other resting mid)

We are well covered for 2020, perhaps a DFA lined up also.
Stewart hasn’t played senior football in nearly 2 years by round 1 next year, Daniher has played bugger all in 2 years, Smack played the most number of games in a year of his career with 16, Laverde and Langford have had their chances and failed, Gown and Mosquito haven’t played a game, Fantasia may as well have not played for the better part of 2 years considering his output.

Brown has been available for selection 85% (hand injury ANZAC Day) of the past 2 seasons. That’s only beaten by Stringer and Tippa of our forwards (I’m not including Langford as a forward as he doesn’t play as a forward or at least fleetingly).

He’s not a star but he was reliable and our best kick for goal. I understand he’s not a pressure forward but I haven’t seen any pressure from any of our forwards in years - Tippa occasionally.

Stewart hasn’t played senior football in nearly 2 years by round 1 next year, Daniher has played bugger all in 2 years, Smack played the most number of games in a year of his career with 16, Laverde and Langford have had their chances and failed, Gown and Mosquito haven’t played a game, Fantasia may as well have not played for the better part of 2 years considering his output.

Brown has been available for selection 85% (hand injury ANZAC Day) of the past 2 seasons. That’s only beaten by Stringer and Tippa of our forwards (I’m not including Langford as a forward as he doesn’t play as a forward or at least fleetingly).

He’s not a star but he was reliable and our best kick for goal. I understand he’s not a pressure forward but I haven’t seen any pressure from any of our forwards in years - Tippa occasionally.

Losing Brown won't be felt IMO, He was an honest trier who went missing a lot, He wasn't even that good a kick at goal, This year went 21-13 (61%) He did kick some ripper long goals though which skews peoples perception of his straight kicking.

Good bloke but out of contract and 29.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to your logic we should get rid of Daniher and Hooker as well, both are terrible forward pressure players.

I'm not talking about the forwards ability to pressue I'm talking about our playing list playing a front half pressure game, locking the ball in the forward line creating congestion and scoring from that, Brown cannot take a contested mark to save himself he can't even create a contest to bring the ball to ground he needs space to operate, Our back half game allowed him that space.

Joe Hooker Smack and Stewart can take contested marks and provide contests, Brown can't and that's why I think he was let go. I probably wasn't clear in my initial post.

According to your logic we should get rid of Daniher and Hooker as well, both are terrible forward pressure players.

No.

The forward system requires actual key position players to provide the aerial targets not tall players floating out the back looking for the Joe the Goose.

Brown then fails again because his ground level pressure as the pseudo tall is so bad.

The difference is that both of them can take a pack grab or at least bring the ball to ground in a good spot.

Brown did neither.

If Brown was in a contest I immediately knew the ball would rebound out.

Losing Brown won't be felt IMO, He was an honest trier who went missing a lot, He wasn't even that good a kick at goal, This year went 21-13 (61%) He did kick some ripper long goals though which skews peoples perception of his straight kicking.

Good bloke but out of contract and 29.
Without looking those shots on goal would be from bang on 50m or outside 50m which skews statistics.

When he wasn’t there last year we felt it and when he wasn’t there this year we felt it. He’s the only forward who worked hard enough to get back around our forward 50m when the ball started coming out of defensive 50m with that rubbish slingshot game plan.

He’s not the difference between winning a premiership but neither is anyone currently on our list. Barring a miracle there isn’t a player on our list that will be winning a premiership in Essendon colours unless they’re shipped off to West Adelaide.

Brown aside, our club is a bit of a joke. I’m not trying to rant, it’s kind of how I feel to be truthful. Sorry if it comes across salty! Lol

Without looking those shots on goal would be from bang on 50m or outside 50m which skews statistics.

When he wasn’t there last year we felt it and when he wasn’t there this year we felt it. He’s the only forward who worked hard enough to get back around our forward 50m when the ball started coming out of defensive 50m with that rubbish slingshot game plan.

He’s not the difference between winning a premiership but neither is anyone currently on our list. Barring a miracle there isn’t a player on our list that will be winning a premiership in Essendon colours unless they’re shipped off to West Adelaide.

Brown aside, our club is a bit of a joke. I’m not trying to rant, it’s kind of how I feel to be truthful. Sorry if it comes across salty! Lol

I think thats why he was let go, our game plan is going to change and I hope drastically.

It's kind of nice to be on the 'other' side of the "I'm surprised club x delisted player a". Clearly Rutten and Caracella have been given a fair amount of control of the list, it's pleasing, and something I didn't think we were capable of doing. You've all been given 12 months notice to not be surprised if Begley is delisted if he hasn't made serious inroads, and is not in our best 22.

For the style of play Rutten and Caracella want to implement, this is the right call.

i remember reading the vfl player reviews each week, and the coach would always make an excuse for certain players lack of impact by saying they were playing the fat side fwd role, which can be difficult...

reckon the fat side fwd role was Browns wheel house too - make of that what you will, i guess

It's kind of nice to be on the 'other' side of the "I'm surprised club x delisted player a". Clearly Rutten and Caracella have been given a fair amount of control of the list, it's pleasing, and something I didn't think we were capable of doing. You've all been given 12 months notice to not be surprised if Begley is delisted if he hasn't made serious inroads, and is not in our best 22.

For the style of play Rutten and Caracella want to implement, this is the right call.
Do you know much about what sort of game style they’re looking for? Something fairly closely resembling Richmond’s I assume

You delist Hartley before Brown - Brown can play forward and back which is beyond the capability of Hartley.
Hartley is a pretty good defender, he's just had to contend with two AA KPDs.
I guess they have something planned for that spot in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back