Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Crows were just lazy and their mids refused to run when they didn’t have the ball. So it with Tippa and then Brown getting out the back on one of Brown’s goals. Another time Clarke runs off Sloane and McKernan gives him the ball, the Francis link up etc etc.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
This guy....you just have to give him another year.

He’s a bit like Caracalla- just a smart, hard-running footballer who doesn’t make many mistakes.

He’s not a key forward by any definition other than height and I’m unconvinced he’s best 22 but he’s....I don’t really know what the * he is. I still think of coaches put any thought into matching him up he’d struggle. Or maybe, like Caracella, his ability to get free is more good management than good luck.

I dunno, he confuses me. Next time I go to a game I’m going to watch him and try to understand how he does what he does.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I would add that right now he’s probably the guy we want having a shot at goal to win a game after the siren. Him or Tippa.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
I know a few Cats fan's that were/are miffed they let Brown go. He had a lot of injury problems while at the cattery though.

I heard it mistakenly said again on a footy show that Brown was a top up and how he’s made the most of it.

People forget he was a first round pick with the Cats and not some undrafted guy struggling to get picked up.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon

He’s a bit like Caracalla- just a smart, hard-running footballer who doesn’t make many mistakes.

He’s not a key forward by any definition other than height and I’m unconvinced he’s best 22 but he’s....I don’t really know what the fu** he is. I still think of coaches put any thought into matching him up he’d struggle. Or maybe, like Caracella, his ability to get free is more good management than good luck.

I dunno, he confuses me. Next time I go to a game I’m going to watch him and try to understand how he does what he does.

He’s definitely best 22!

It’s simple... he’s a hard working HFF. Even when he’s nominally a “key forward” because Joe or McKernan or Hooker isn’t there, he still plays the same - as a HFF.

He works hard up the ground to provide an option and hard back again toward goal when we have possession.

And his greatest strength is he’s a bit of a natural forward... he knows when we have the footy that his job is to run into space where he’ll be an option for a kicker. That’s why he’s always bobbing up with uncontested marks.

In many ways he’s your classic HFF... not a goal sneak, or a crumbling forward, or a resting mid. A classic HFF. Who’s probably a couple of inches taller.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s definitely best 22!

It’s simple... he’s a hard working HFF. Even when he’s nominally a “key forward” because Joe or McKernan or Hooker isn’t there, he still plays the same - as a HFF.

He works hard up the ground to provide an option and hard back again toward goal when we have possession.

And his greatest strength is he’s a bit of a natural forward... he knows when we have the footy that his job is to run into space where he’ll be an option for a kicker. That’s why he’s always bobbing up with uncontested marks.

In many ways he’s your classic HFF... not a goal sneak, or a crumbling forward, or a resting mid. A classic HFF. Who’s probably a couple of inches taller.
Not sure it’s definite. I think Daniher, Smack and Stinger are all automatic inclusions. Whether you play all four every week is open to debate IMO.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure it’s definite. I think Daniher, Smack and Stinger are all automatic inclusions. Whether you play all four every week is open to debate IMO.

No way he goes out.

Tippa - Daniher - Brown
Fantasia - McKernan - Stringer

Nothing at all wrong with that, given how mobile Stringer and Brown are.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

I have started to accept that Joe may never play again - or if he does, it will be a few weeks here & there before an early retirement.

I've run this past an Essendon player, and former team mate of Joe's dad & uncles. There is genuine concern floating around that he may end up like Darcy.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Crows were just lazy and their mids refused to run when they didn’t have the ball. So it with Tippa and then Brown getting out the back on one of Brown’s goals. Another time Clarke runs off Sloane and McKernan gives him the ball, the Francis link up etc etc.

I think Essendon just ran the Crows off their feet and they couldn't keep up rather than Adelaide being lazy.

Essendon a is hard team to stop when they run and link.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
This run he made from when Hartley has the ball to him getting it in the F50 is nuts considering he then goes back, looks completely chill, and nails a goal from 45 on a tight angle.

giphy.gif
Further on this footage

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I have started to accept that Joe may never play again - or if he does, it will be a few weeks here & there before an early retirement.

I've run this past an Essendon player, and former team mate of Joe's dad & uncles. There is genuine concern floating around that he may end up like Darcy.
Hope you’re wrong on this one. I’m sure you do too!

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Still don’t think he’s best 22. He’s a very smart footballer who works into space extremely well but is uncompetitive when the ball hits the deck and is no chance of taking a contested mark.

Watching him now it’s almost a bit sad for him considering he certainly would be stronger and more athletic if not for his multitude of shoulder and soft tissue injuries.

Hird05

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Don't think his role is to take contested marks or to crumb. His running, marking on the lead and goal kicking is up there with Fantasia imo.

Sockeye

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

He’s not a key forward by any definition other than height and I’m unconvinced he’s best 22 but he’s....I don’t really know what the fu** he is. I still think of coaches put any thought into matching him up he’d struggle. Or maybe, like Caracella, his ability to get free is more good management than good luck.

Watched him. He just runs his guts out.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I heard it mistakenly said again on a footy show that Brown was a top up and how he’s made the most of it.

People forget he was a first round pick with the Cats and not some undrafted guy struggling to get picked up.
Indicative of the current AFL media scribes. Sloppy research and knowledge of things they are supposedly know everything about.

Back