Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes some really good leads. Even against North he ran so hard to defensive 50 at one stage just to get a defender (Hurley??) out of trouble.

Did fumble a little overhead early last night but his kicking makes up for it

Given he has twice broken his leg he has done well to stay on this far. Much better player than people give him credit for.

If you go back to the Geelong board in his last season or two on our list, it pretty much sums up how he was viewed. Up there with the likes of Motlop for how polarising he was, supporters either thought he was a complete spud (part of that, in my opinion, is he's not one for the white line fever, he always looks like he's just got out of bed), or that he was a definite talent who had been hopelessly mishandled by the Cats (I've always been in the latter camp).

He was never given a chance at Geelong and I'm just glad that he made it somewhere else. He started with a bang when he debuted in 2011, then broke his leg and was gone until 2012 (It's hard to see how he would have forced his way into the premiership team in 2011, but let's just say that given how he was dominating in the VFL and his eye catching senior debut, expectations were sky high for Brown heading in to 2012). Then he recovered from injury and when he returned, he was thrown around here, there and everywhere to plug holes, he'd play 1-2 games, then an established player would be ready to return and Brown would be dumped, whether he'd been underwhelming or solid.

As a fitting end to his career at Geelong in 2014, he was recalled to the side in Round 23, due to the incumbent Shane Kersten getting injured, was asked to play as a tall forward in Round 23, collected 15 touches, took 5 marks, had 6 inside 50s kicked a goal and was dropped, then he came in again for the semi final against North Melbourne, following an injury to Jared Rivers and was asked to play as a tall defender, again being far from Geelong's worst. Then he was delisted. It was staggering to me at how a first round pick could be so unceremoniously dumped without ever being given a genuine chance in six years.

It was no surprise to me that he became a 'late bloomer' when he was given the chance to stop playing a completely different position every week and to stop looking over his shoulder for an established player returning from injury to take his spot. The talent was always there, he just needed the opportunity. I hope he can continue on now and get to 100 AFL games.

If you go back to the Geelong board in his last season or two on our list, it pretty much sums up how he was viewed. Up there with the likes of Motlop for how polarising he was, supporters either thought he was a complete spud (part of that, in my opinion, is he's not one for the white line fever, he always looks like he's just got out of bed), or that he was a definite talent who had been hopelessly mishandled by the Cats (I've always been in the latter camp).

He was never given a chance at Geelong and I'm just glad that he made it somewhere else. He started with a bang when he debuted in 2011, then broke his leg and was gone until 2012 (It's hard to see how he would have forced his way into the premiership team in 2011, but let's just say that given how he was dominating in the VFL and his eye catching senior debut, expectations were sky high for Brown heading in to 2012). Then he recovered from injury and when he returned, he was thrown around here, there and everywhere to plug holes, he'd play 1-2 games, then an established player would be ready to return and Brown would be dumped, whether he'd been underwhelming or solid.

As a fitting end to his career at Geelong in 2014, he was recalled to the side in Round 23, due to the incumbent Shane Kersten getting injured, was asked to play as a tall forward in Round 23, collected 15 touches, took 5 marks, had 6 inside 50s kicked a goal and was dropped, then he came in again for the semi final against North Melbourne, following an injury to Jared Rivers and was asked to play as a tall defender, again being far from Geelong's worst. Then he was delisted. It was staggering to me at how a first round pick could be so unceremoniously dumped without ever being given a genuine chance in six years.

It was no surprise to me that he became a 'late bloomer' when he was given the chance to stop playing a completely different position every week and to stop looking over his shoulder for an established player returning from injury to take his spot. The talent was always there, he just needed the opportunity. I hope he can continue on now and get to 100 AFL games.
My god I completely forgot Rivers played for Geelong for a while.

Great read and insight to his past from a cats supporters view.

He’d be loving having his own forward line. With McKernan and Daniher in the side it’d be very difficult for him to lead as he’d like to and present at the ball. He probably couldn’t do it.

I think his leading would be a real strength with Joe just as it was with Smack, probably more so given how dangerous Joe is. It helps to draw opponents to create space, I think he's the best lead up player on our list.

I think his leading would be a real strength with Joe just as it was with Smack, probably more so given how dangerous Joe is. It helps to draw opponents to create space, I think he's the best lead up player on our list.

Genuinely scary what our forward line would look like at it's best next year.

F. Walla - McKernan - Brown

Hf. Fantasia - Daniher - resting mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he was a bit invisible as a forward last night, but played a good role going back in the last quarter when our injuries could have given the Saints a sniff

Was horrible until he went back when he was really good.

He has almost no physical presence as a forward. He's a smart forward but doesn't perform the structural function well at all.

Thought he was a bit invisible as a forward last night, but played a good role going back in the last quarter when our injuries could have given the Saints a sniff

Odd, odd game, lots of leading but didn't get to dangerous spots at all.

Had 100% TOG and clocked up 3rd or 4th highest distance on the ground which is a bloody good effort for a big man

Was horrible until he went back when he was really good.

He has almost no physical presence as a forward. He's a smart forward but doesn't perform the structural function well at all.

He is not really the forward you want to be in a one on tow or three contest which was where he was at a lot of times.

2 or 3 year contract? Why? Deserves another contract, but has got to be just 1 year.

Agreed. Has been good no doubt, but it's not like someone's going to come along and outbid us with a 3-year offer.

He's a fringe-player when we're at full strength, but a good one at that. Has certainly earned another year.

I think Brown is doing a good job considering he's been battling as our number 1 key forward when really he's more a 2nd tall that is great at leading up the ground but can't wrestle with those number 1 defenders.

If we play Hooker alongside him more often he will do better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back