Delisted #28: Mitch Brown - Retired - 20/9/22

Technically B4L is right. Brown was a top up player for us in the 2015 NAB cup. He was drafted onto our senior list at the end of 2015 but wasn’t one of our 10 top ups for the 2016 season.
That's a very technical position to take though ;) He wasn't one of the 10 top ups.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Brown is such an interesting player, someone who was a highish draft pick who got some opportunity but then was delisted and forced to earn another chance with us and his career even with us has been up and down swapping from back to forward so many times, i think his success recently up forward is through his work ethic and the opposition not showing him enough respect. He may not be that true contested marker but he gets to the right spots and is very clean at ground level, can hardly complain about him playing ahead of McKernan but i would think if he starts to drop off the likes of Laverde and Begley when fit will also fight for that spot.

With Hooker out we could see Francis swaped with him at times during the year which is exciting to me aswell.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Makes the most of his shots on goal generally. Very accurate kick, doesn't miss the easy ones and feel comfortable that he's going to kick the tough ones too. Would like some improvement from him but don't think there's any shame in him being the#3 forward target if he gets a gig over Smack to start the season. Been worse key forwards in premiership sides in the past.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Brown and think he's a better footballer than Mckernan but he's not strong in the contest which to me means he doesn't fit well alongside Daniher and Stringer.

For mine Mckernan's ability to ruck and be a target for long kicks makes him a better fit for the side. People forget that despite being 200cm Daniher does his best work on long leads and then wheeling onto his left. Playing alongside Brown means Daniher will have to ruck and spend more time as our deepest forward which aren't his strengths imo.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Brown is such an interesting player, someone who was a highish draft pick who got some opportunity but then was delisted and forced to earn another chance with us and his career even with us has been up and down swapping from back to forward so many times, i think his success recently up forward is through his work ethic and the opposition not showing him enough respect. He may not be that true contested marker but he gets to the right spots and is very clean at ground level, can hardly complain about him playing ahead of McKernan but i would think if he starts to drop off the likes of Laverde and Begley when fit will also fight for that spot.

With Hooker out we could see Francis swaped with him at times during the year which is exciting to me aswell.

From memory he was very injury interrupted when he was at Geelong wasn't he?

He actually reads the play quite well, as evidenced by his intercept marking in defence and his ability to consistently find space to lead and mark when he's forward. His work rate is also pretty good (though Stewart and McKernan are also solid runners I must say).

The big issue is his lack of physicality and aggression and x-factor compared to the 'good' McKernan, but Brown is a pretty consistent performer on a weekly basis whereas McKernan could monster a defence and kick 5 in a quarter or not have a touch for an entire fortnight.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's a notional key forward. If he was 186 and not 196 he'd be the same player and we'd play a key forward in the side.

As a key forward he doesn't take the marks we really want him to take nor does he have any physical presence.

Thrown in Stringer who is a structural black hole and it's not a forward line I like.

Last edited:

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I like Brown and think he's a better footballer than Mckernan but he's not strong in the contest which to me means he doesn't fit well alongside Daniher and Stringer.

For mine Mckernan's ability to ruck and be a target for long kicks makes him a better fit for the side. People forget that despite being 200cm Daniher does his best work on long leads and then wheeling onto his left. Playing alongside Brown means Daniher will have to ruck and spend more time as our deepest forward which aren't his strengths imo.
Agree 100%. Wouldn’t say Smack is the better player, but I would say he is the better fit for our team.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other in the Brown vs McKernan debate. I like Brown's output. He always manages to accomplish something useful by the end of every game. Sure its a shame he's not a stronger presence in marking contests but a bit like Baguley up forward, he simply produces without being flashy.

McKernan has the contested marking but can't compare in work rate. I also think Brown puts on more pressure.

McKernan's best games seem to be better but I reckon Brown puts out a better consistent level.

At the end of the day I don't think we can go too wrong on this decision.

Squishyyyyy!!!

Draftee
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

I don’t see why we can’t play all three, Browns Workrate, overhead skills and ability on the ground make him very multi dimensional. Can play a number of roles.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant shake the sense that our forward line would function better without this guy....that we need him out to get the right blend of speed, pressure and marking ability. It’s not about him so much as it’s about getting the right mix collectively and that’s it’s hard to achieve that with him in the side.

Problem is he just keeps hitting up on the lead, doing smart things, working his butt off and kicking his couple of goals each week and it makes it bloody difficult to drop him.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Cant shake the sense that our forward line would function better without this guy....that we need him out to get the right blend of speed, pressure and marking ability. It’s not about him so much as it’s about getting the right mix collectively and that’s it’s hard to achieve that with him in the side.

Problem is he just keeps hitting up on the lead, doing smart things, working his butt off and kicking his couple of goals each week and it makes it bloody difficult to drop him.

sorry my bad thought you were talking about Joe.

My Richmond supporting mate reckons we should trade him. says our forward line functions way better with him not there and I agree.
Nah. He's a good depth key forward. If he wants another contract we give him one. Simple as that.

Is it almost like Brown's the guy you want when you're losing and Smack is the guy you want when you're winning if that makes sense?
I really love this post

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Looking for him to have a big last quarter.

My prediction is two Joe the Gooses out the back and a "contested mark" on someone 20cm shorter than him.

And DapperJong, if there is any doubt Mitch is definitely one of my whipping boys because he basically irrelevant to the structure of the side.

Edit: I should be balanced and say that on form Langford is right up there with Brown, much as it pains me to have to admit it.

Last edited:

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Looking for him to have a big last quarter.

My prediction is two Joe the Gooses out the back and a "contested mark" on someone 20cm shorter than him.

And DapperJong, if there is any doubt Mitch is definitely one of my whipping boys because he basically irrelevant to the structure of the side.

Edit: I should be balanced and say that on form Langford is right up there with Brown, much as it pains me to have to admit it.

I hate him too mate. Needs to go back to school teaching.

Back