Delisted #28: Ned Cahill - Not offered a new contract, thanks Ned! - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see why he was drafted. Right now he's Snelling-lite.
Featherweight light. And lite.

The goal was good but I'm not sure he's up to the level. Maybe he will be one day but right now he's nowhere near it.

Featherweight light. And lite.

The goal was good but I'm not sure he's up to the level. Maybe he will be one day but right now he's nowhere near it.
I thought one of the props on him was his endurance and work rate, was not on display today in a game where we were missing McGrath and Snelling who are two of our hardest runners, and unsurprisingly seemed to lack endurance and work rate through the midfield for much of the game. Bit of a missed opportunity for Ned IMO that he wasn't able to get involved up the ground more, not sure what role he was instructed to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MAYBE gets one more year as depth and see if he develops into anything at all next season.

Prefer to see Cutler, Gleeson and Clarke moved on first.

Why does everyone call him "Carl"? His name is Cahill. Like Tim Cahill. Nobody called him Tim Carl. It's Kay-Hill.
I'd be fine never playing him again just so I don't have to hear another commentator refer to him as Carl. I cannot believe how annoying it is.

Why does everyone call him "Carl"? His name is Cahill. Like Tim Cahill. Nobody called him Tim Carl. It's Kay-Hill.
I'd be fine never playing him again just so I don't have to hear another commentator refer to him as Carl. I cannot believe how annoying it is.
It’s because he pronounces it as Carl, not Tim Cahill.

He has had a few chances now but has not grabbed one. Not sure he will make it, seems miles off the pace.

VFL form miles away from AFL level.

Only got a chance due to injuries, just can't play against Dees, surely.

Ned himself said it's pronounced "Carl".

I think he's getting a game because the players like him, coaches appreciate the hard work he puts in at training and his positive attitude. It's just a shame he can't play footy :(

Was disappointing but so were plenty of our players.
I think he shows he has the mental talent, he's a smart footballer or at least that's what I get when I watch him play (though cards on table I havnt seen much of him playing) He slipped a few times, got exposed for pace and strength a few times but you kind of expect that.
Cox has been exposed lately for trying things on the field that he isn't physically able to do yet.

I'll give Cahill more chances to see if he can take them, especially down in Tassie and with the majority of the team down.
Feels a bit early to throw him away, I understand that athletically he might not be too special but the good thing about our game is if you are smart, position yourself well and can use the footy there is a place for you at the level.

Its too early to put a line through him just yet.

People saying he’s not up to it, he’s young and his body isn’t developed for the role he’ll play. Look how Snelling was at port Adelaide, looked a mile off afl standard and now with a mature body can consistently play afl at a solid level week in week out. Too early to pull the pin imo.
Snelling might have been a long way off it then, but in the only chance he got at Port in his first year, he had 15 touches, a goal and six tackles. That was also with 64% TOG.

Cahill has taken six games to notch as many tackles. At this stage he is practically a ghost as far as pressure is concerned. It's concerning too that there isn't much difference on this front when he plays the bottom teams (Adelaide last year, Hawthorn twice this year) and the better sides too.

I'd love to be wrong and I certainly regularly am, but there isn't a lot that he brings to this level at the moment. Even the goal he kicked, which was good, probably only was so because for whatever reason he couldn't or wouldn't catch the ball initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back