Delisted #28: Ned Cahill - Not offered a new contract, thanks Ned! - 13/8

28 - [PLAYERCARD]Ned Cahill[/PLAYERCARD].jpg

Contract Status: Not offered another contract

Last Game Played: Round 14, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Baker is an excellent player in the richmond back six. Wonder if Ned can play a similar style
He looks like the sort of meth head you bump into at clubs who wants to know what yous are staring at

Baker is an excellent player in the richmond back six. Wonder if Ned can play a similar style
Baker is not an excellent player. At all. He's solid in the best defensive group in the AFL

From what I've seen he's a handy player. Maybe excellent was too high praise. Solid in the best defensive group in the AFL is not a bad description. He's doing something right
Yeah, it was a bit hyperbolic for my taste

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
If they thought he could genuinely play small forward they would never move him back. His inability to get separation was obviously clear to coaching staff.

Seems like a quality kid so happy to give him every chance to find a role.

If they thought he could genuinely play small forward they would never move him back. His inability to get separation was obviously clear to coaching staff.

I mean, every small forward we've had has spent time at half-back learning apply pressure and defend, so it's not that unusual.

The question is, does Truck abide that logic? 🤔

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I mean, every small forward we've had has spent time at half-back learning apply pressure and defend, so it's not that unusual.

The question is, does Truck abide that logic? 🤔
Tippa and Bags started as defenders and moved forward - it’s different.

Fanta would never have been seen anywhere the backline if he kept his 2017 form.

Tippa and Bags started as defenders and moved forward - it’s different.

Fanta would never have been seen anywhere the backline if he kept his 2017 form.
Played there in 2015.

That was before he went forward.

Was making the point that forwards rarely go back if they are good and healthy. So the move back in 2020 was the relevant one.
He spent his first year and a half forward in the VFL, spent the following year and a half in defence, and then played forward again.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He spent his first year and a half forward in the VFL, spent the following year and a half in defence, and then played forward again.
I have no idea if that is correct or not so I can’t debate it. Don’t think it really goes to my argument anyway.

I would say that Cahill was drafted as a forward, played as a forward and then moved back. Fantasia played lots of SANFL footy in defence and I think the club was just working out what they had.

I would still argue that coaches don’t send forwards to defence if they believe they can be successful there. Much easier to find a quality small defender than a quality small forward.

Much easier to find a quality small defender than a quality small forward.
A truism that doesn't apply to our list in 2021 :p

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Wait, what?

Don't mind it, he's also been training a lot with McGrath which is as good a reference for a small defender as you can get given he was one of the best in the league when playing there in his first season from memory.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Is he going to be our Caleb Daniel? Ned seems to rate his kicking which is the strength of Daniel playing in defence for the Dogs.

Also Raz played HBF for Norwood in their 2013 premiership which was also his draft year.

cobra land

All Australian
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
From what I've seen he's a handy player. Maybe excellent was too high praise. Solid in the best defensive group in the AFL is not a bad description. He's doing something right
I'd say he's very underrated and would get a game at most if not all other clubs. Your praise of him was justified in my opinion.

Tend to agree. I think they see him more as a midfielder down the track. Like you said, not being overly quick hurts him as a small forward. If he makes it his work rate and ability to run all day will be what gets him there.

Back