Delisted #28: Ned Cahill - Not offered a new contract, thanks Ned! - 13/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Because he’s short?
Yes, it's because he's short.

It's got nothing to do with the fact neither were defenders in juniors or in their early AFL careers, one is a now proven hard working ball winner coming out of defence and the other is saying his strength as a defender (if he plays there given he's been training there) will be his work rate and skills.

If they thought he could genuinely play small forward they would never move him back. His inability to get separation was obviously clear to coaching staff.

Seems like a quality kid so happy to give him every chance to find a role.

Naah, craft and work rate are fine for small forwards. The smaller guys generally have good agility so that's not an issue. Most of them are not particularly quick. In fact, Charlie Cameron aside (and he's an unusual hybrid and not really a small forward in these sense that is being discussed) I doubt there are many small forward in the top 25-30% of players in terms of their pure speed (most of them would be at Richmond).

It's more important to be genuinely quick small in defence when you're always slightly reacting to the small forward and where the quick transition from half back can also work wonders.

I have to say I don't see why Cahill would play in defence for any extended period. Doesn't have any of the qualities I'd look for in a defender (bearing in mind that with some training basically anyone can run around in an essentially free role like Liam Baker does). I'd say it's probably just to assist with Cahill's development for now.

Maybe it is a player development thing. Fantasia was played at hb for a bit before he left. Not sure Walla has been though, or Dev, or Snello, who he's probably competing with for a spot.

At least we might look serious, but the multiple positional changes could get us a top 4 pick. 😃

Maybe it is a player development thing. Fantasia was played at hb for a bit before he left. Not sure Walla has been though, or Dev, or Snello, who he's probably competing with for a spot.

At least we might look serious, but the multiple positional changes could get us a top 4 pick. 😃
Walla started at HB in 2016

Walla did at the start of his career with us and Dev was there for about the last quarter/half of last year.

Naah, craft and work rate are fine for small forwards. The smaller guys generally have good agility so that's not an issue. Most of them are not particularly quick. In fact, Charlie Cameron aside (and he's an unusual hybrid and not really a small forward in these sense that is being discussed) I doubt there are many small forward in the top 25-30% of players in terms of their pure speed (most of them would be at Richmond).

It's more important to be genuinely quick small in defence when you're always slightly reacting to the small forward and where the quick transition from half back can also work wonders.

I have to say I don't see why Cahill would play in defence for any extended period. Doesn't have any of the qualities I'd look for in a defender (bearing in mind that with some training basically anyone can run around in an essentially free role like Liam Baker does). I'd say it's probably just to assist with Cahill's development for now.
Disagree strongly. Need a good burst over 10-15 to get separation. All good small forwards can do this. Can’t think of a good small forward that can’t tbh.

Cahill’s man always seemed to be right next to him last year. He never had time and space to execute. Reminded of
the guy we had years ago Dell’ollio I think it was ....clever and crafty but just lacked a yard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love this move, people will point to his height, but it's brains and a good kick you need coming out of the backline if you already have talls. His work rate may actually cause a few miss-matches.
In saying that Heppell and Cahill would be the slowest HBF pairing in the league, after we had the fastest last year.

I feel like Cahill's lack of pace has been greatly exaggerated on here. Its almost like he's getting slower and slower by the post. In another 10 pages he'll be slower than Priddis with tyres tied to his legs.

Whilst he's not as pacy as perhaps you'd like for a small forward/defender type he's hardly slow either. His big engine and dual sided kicking can definitely help make up for some of his deficiencies as well. He actually performed very well in the scratch matches which were all our ressies got to play in. He was kicking way more goals than the more popular Mozzie and it wasn't close. He was also setting up more goals too from what I saw.

Also people act like he's been around forever and just never had the talent. He was in his first year as an 18 year old last year and debuted and played a few games. I'm sure he has tons of improvement in him.

The other thing he really has going for him is a great Australian sporting surname. Timmy Cahill of course but who can forget Darren “Mr Tennis” Cahill who made the third round of the Australian Open a few times.

The other thing he really has going for him is a great Australian sporting surname. Timmy Cahill of course but who can forget Darren “Mr Tennis” Cahill who made the third round of the Australian Open a few times.
Darren's old man John went alright for the Port Magpies as both a player and coach. Represented SA many times, played in 3 or 4 flags and won something like 10 flags as a coach.

I'll be happy if the Cahill name brings any of that sort of success to the Dons while Ned is around

I love this move, people will point to his height, but it's brains and a good kick you need coming out of the backline if you already have talls. His work rate may actually cause a few miss-matches.
In saying that Heppell and Cahill would be the slowest HBF pairing in the league, after we had the fastest last year.
Keep the ball in our half and it matters little! 🤣

Plays junior footy as a forward.

Drafted as a forward.

Debuts as a forward.

Performs pretty well as a first year player as a forward.

Essendon: "Well s**t, we've got ourselves another gold standard half back here!"

This ******* club.

Drafted as a forward.

Debuts as a forward.

Essendon: "Well sh*t, we've got ourselves another gold standard half back here!"

This ******* club.

Kind of reminds me a bit of Blake Hardwick at Hawthorne - fwd all thru jnrs, kicking bag after bag, might have even won the u18 goal kicking, next minute hes a nuggety half back at AFL level

Drafted as a forward.

Debuts as a forward.

Essendon: "Well sh*t, we've got ourselves another gold standard half back here!"

This ******* club.
Patiently waiting for Nik Cox to be played as a forward pocket, Reid as a inside mid and Perkins as our backup ruckman

I think he played really well across half back last night. If we were giving out votes for pre-season he'd be in them for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back