Contract Status: Not offered another contract

Last Game Played: Round 14, 2021 (omit)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Abort.

Fwd or nothing, he may find the right spot to get it but his disposal has no ping and isn't accurate enough to be delivering in high pressure moments off half back when his lack of pace is exposed.

Those slow little passes kill you on the way back. Chalk the experiment as a fail and get in line for a hff role.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
Very rarley do i throw a neg at a player and I've got a pretty big threshold for youngsters and our rebuild phases of phases but we are burning a spot playing this guy. He's slow and low percentage...

Unless he starts showing some sort of Sam Mitchell neurons we are better off with a proper diesel athlete in this form of the game and our plan.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I blurted out at the top of voice near the end as he turned it over ‘Not good enough Ned!’ then pulled my head in as I don’t usually blurt like that. He wasn’t either... and maybe isn’t... let’s see if he can prove us wrong... through a VFL stint... of many weeks.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
He can play! He's got something, just not there.
I’m struggling to envisage the role he would excel in. I agree. I think he can football. Maybe the 80s era would’ve suited him more. I dunno.

I thought he had a nose for goals so why would you thwart the one area he seems natural at?

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m struggling to envisage the role he would excel in. I agree. I think he can football. Maybe the 80s era would’ve suited him more. I dunno.

I thought he had a nose for goals so why would you thwart the one area he seems natural at?

I think there's a common perception nowadays if you aren't lightning quick and cant put on manic defensive pressure you can't be a small forward anymore, it's possibly ahead of actual goal nouse.

It's like wicketkeeping...before Gilly you had to be a good keeper, a few runs were a bonus, then Gilly comes in... Now you play a batsman and hope he keeps well enough..

The small forward has gone from deadly sharpshooter who tackled a bit, to a manic tackler who's goals are a bonus.

Yeh nah?

Perhaps his niche might be hff

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Playing a very foreign role more out of necessity for our list. Ideally he hones is craft in the twos but we still need to blood these kids coming through and we will just need to cop some games like this from a lot of the young players. Short term pain for hopefully long term gain.

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Playing a very foreign role more out of necessity for our list. Ideally he hones is craft in the twos but we still need to blood these kids coming through and we will just need to cop some games like this from a lot of the young players. Short term pain for hopefully long term gain.
Agreed. I was more disappointed by our senior players.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Necessity is what it has looked like to date. I'd say the only reason he is playing is the departure of McQuillan.

It's kind of like were looking for a Liam Baker for the sake of it. I really can't see the point.

BUT, I'm an advocate for maximising the use of available talent so I still give us credit for switching Cahill out of a role that he wasn't going to be playing in seniors any time soon.

Necessity is what it has looked like to date. I'd say the only reason he is playing is the departure of McQuillan.

It's kind of like were looking for a Liam Baker for the sake of it. I really can't see the point.

BUT, I'm an advocate for maximising the use of available talent so I still give us credit for switching Cahill out of a role that he wasn't going to be playing in seniors any time soon.
I think they see him more as a midfielder going forward as he has a decent tank. Despite his lack of composure by foot a few times he was a decent kick as a junior . Right now it is about working his defensive side. Long term I am sure if he makes it then it will be midfield. There is no doubt he felt the moment a few times under pressure last night.

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If they think he'll make it in the midfield then he needs to play in the centre square at VFL level and get it 30 times a match consistently. Once he does that for a season he can start getting games at AFL level.

Has looked a mile off it.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Sometimes at clubs there are guys that everyone wants to succeed....great personality, character, work etc. Beloved by the group and coaches. They get given opportunities that maybe quieter, more reserved or less loveable teammates aren’t.

Feel like Ned is one of those guys and the club is seeing him through rose coloured glasses.I said after his first game that I just didn't see it and nothing yet has changed my mind.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't say I've seen much (across the three games he's been used behind the ball) to suggest he should stay there. He has some smarts and can link up but is far from great by foot, and really isn't there physically to apply pressure, keep his feet or do much when inevitably in congestion at times.

But I also don't see the point of including him for round 1 and bailing this early. Give him a run at the position for a few weeks and reassess then.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I can't say I've seen much (across the three games he's been used behind the ball) to suggest he should stay there. He has some smarts and can link up but is far from great by foot, and really isn't there physically to apply pressure, keep his feet or do much when inevitably in congestion at times.

But I also don't see the point of including him for round 1 and bailing this early. Give him a run at the position for a few weeks and reassess then.
On second thought, scratch this last bit.

No thanks.

Back