Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
.....And with that a whipping boy was born

Hardly, he's been thrown in out of his depth. They obviously see something in him but he's too far off it at the moment, give him a decent run in the role they want him to play in the twos.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure he's a HBF.

Seemed a clever player as a small forward. He doesn't have the line-breaking run and carry, or the precise kicking to cut a side up from the half-back line, and doesn't seem particularly good at defending a man.

Would rather the effort and application of Guelfi at half-back when he's fit.

He's a bit slow for a small forward, but Bruest isn't lightning so if you're smart enough and know where the goals are it can work.

Off the back-line you really need to be quick enough, or good enough by foot to get through the zone.

He's not the Caleb Daniel they were probably hoping he'd be.

Still learning to be a defender..
“Ned played half-back and got a lot of the ball and he used it well. He’s just getting better and better each week at learning the defensive play of the game.”

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Sometimes at clubs there are guys that everyone wants to succeed....great personality, character, work etc. Beloved by the group and coaches. They get given opportunities that maybe quieter, more reserved or less loveable teammates aren’t.

Feel like Ned is one of those guys and the club is seeing him through rose coloured glasses.I said after his first game that I just didn't see it and nothing yet has changed my mind.
I’m sure that phenomenon is real.. and add Dylan Clarke to the list

Played on ball and did good things.

Ned Cahill
Stats: 14 disposals, five marks, four tackles

“Ned started slowly. He turned the ball over as a bit of a combination between decision-making and skill execution. At half-time we put Ned on to the ball and he actually changed the game. He was one of the reasons why we won the second half. Ned really stood up in the second half and got us going."

Played well on-ball in the VFL again
Ned Cahill
Stats: 21 disposals, five marks, six tackles

“Ned was good. He played on ball, worked really hard in and around the contest and won his clearances. He had a few hardball gets and he also had nine handball receives so he worked really hard. It was a good midfield game from Ned.”

I still double-take every time I see him listed as 'E.Cahill' in the VFL.

Played on-ball again, four tackles, good defensive efforts. Tired in the fourth probably because the bench was full and he didn't get his rest.
Ned Cahill
Stats: 23 disposals, six marks, four tackles

“It was a pretty good effort from Ned. He pretty much played on-ball the whole game and he didn't get much rest. He won a fair bit of the ball and used it pretty well. He set us up a fair bit, so I was pretty happy with Ned’s game. He had four tackles as well, so his defensive effort was good. Like most blokes he was a bit tired in the last quarter. He tried to battle on for us all game."

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Appreciate that the coaching staff have had some success with other postional switches so far, so it's not a big criticism.
But I do find it interesting that, having already been moved out of the backhalf and into the middle, Cahill still hasn't been used in the role he was drafted or recruited in. Although to be fair, this might be more reflective of how limited our options are in our VFL side's midfield right now.

Appreciate that the coaching staff have had some success with other postional switches so far, so it's not a big criticism.
But I do find it interesting that, having already been moved out of the backhalf and into the middle, Cahill still hasn't been used in the role he was drafted or recruited in. Although to be fair, this might be more reflective of how limited our options are in our VFL side's midfield right now.
He played a couple of games in the AFL as a small forward... think he was found wanting (too slow?) which is why he's been switched around a bit.

Lore said it above.
Not enough pace to make it as a small forward. His x factor is and has been his endurance running and footy smarts. He was always considered to be a player that would transition into the midfield. He did well at under 18 level as a forward on his ability to out run / work his opponents.

Back