Past Nic Newman - traded 2018, to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a great list of vote getters from our team and brilliant to see the coaches agree it was our young brigade that did so much in securing such a momentous win and three of the five from the rookie list!!!!
Love us or hate us, everyone should agree we are second to none in finding and developing talent.

Lol Buddy gets 16 possessions and would have had 3 goals if he kicked straight yet Rance gets 10 votes. Rance does the flashy s**t yet you still frequently see his opponents impact the game. Meanwhile most of Grundy's opponents go unsighted for the whole game. Grundy > Rance. Do not @ me

Lol Buddy gets 16 possessions and would have had 3 goals if he kicked straight yet Rance gets 10 votes. Rance does the flashy s**t yet you still frequently see his opponents impact the game. Meanwhile most of Grundy's opponents go unsighted for the whole game. Grundy > Rance. Do not @ me
Rance pantsed Franklin. In fact he dominated him so bad, that Franklin was moved out of the forward line to get the ball.

Franklin was poor, no other way about it.

Rance pantsed Franklin. In fact he dominated him so bad, that Franklin was moved out of the forward line to get the ball.

Franklin was poor, no other way about it.

Yes he was. And yet he still had 16 possessions and enough shots on goals where, if he was accurate, he would have been the game's leading goal scorer. Rance has a great ability to limit the impact of his direct opponent. Grundy has the ability to end the existence (for four quarters) of his direct opponent. Therefore, Grundy > Rance.

Bugger the AFL coaches award Newman was Gerard's player of the week on AFL 360 last night. Not bad after 9 games.

Yep even Slobbo credited one of Newman's plays as 'the moment' for us. Agreed with the sentiment but let's be real, the moment for us was obviously at 3QT when Kennedy and Hannebery decided to get themselves into the game.

Yep even Slobbo credited one of Newman's plays as 'the moment' for us. Agreed with the sentiment but let's be real, the moment for us was obviously at 3QT when Kennedy and Hannebery decided to get themselves into the game.

'the moment' was with just over 30 seconds left and it was a pretty big moment, just like Smith with his intercept mark a minute earlier.

Newman had the most disposals on the ground after midway through the second quarter for any player. The others contributed with Kennedys last quarter help win the game.
But for consistency over the game Newman deserves his credit.

'the moment' was with just over 30 seconds left and it was a pretty big moment, just like Smith with his intercept mark a minute earlier.
Newman had the most disposals on the ground after midway through the second quarter for any player. The others contributed with Kennedys last quarter help win the game.
But for consistency over the game Newman deserves his credit.

Yeah I know but the media tend to over-play some things. Newman was really good once again but it was Kennedy and Hannebery who played the biggest role, which is expected from the two blokes at the coalface.

Yeah I know but the media tend to over-play some things. Newman was really good once again but it was Kennedy and Hannebery who played the biggest role, which is expected from the two blokes at the coalface.
Coaches agree with the media too

AFLCA Champion Player of the Year – Round 14
10 – Alex Rance
6 – Nic Newman
4 – Jake Lloyd
3 – Isaac Heeney
3 – Tom Papley
2 – Bachar Houli
2 – Zak Jones

Coaches agree with the media too

AFLCA Champion Player of the Year – Round 14
10 – Alex Rance
6 – Nic Newman
4 – Jake Lloyd
3 – Isaac Heeney
3 – Tom Papley
2 – Bachar Houli
2 – Zak Jones

I reckon they got just about everything right. Across the whole game, it was Newman, Lloyd, Heeney, Papley and Jones who were our best. I'm just saying it was Hannebery and Kennedy who contributed to the actual outcome. It usually is. I guess it depends on your personal opinion of what defines the best players. Is it consistent performance across the four quarters or a greater influence in a smaller period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they got just about everything right. Across the whole game, it was Newman, Lloyd, Heeney, Papley and Jones who were our best. I'm just saying it was Hannebery and Kennedy who contributed to the actual outcome. It usually is. I guess it depends on your personal opinion of what defines the best players. Is it consistent performance across the four quarters or a greater influence in a smaller period?
Surprised that Longmire gave Rance a vote. He stands off his opponent, goes for the intercept most of the time and I definitely saw two turnstile tackles he made. Rance presumably wouldn't get a game in our stalwart wear them like a glove defence

Surprised that Longmire gave Rance a vote. He stands off his opponent, goes for the intercept most of the time and I definitely saw two turnstile tackles he made. Rance presumably wouldn't get a game in our stalwart wear them like a glove defence

I'd take Rance any day of the week

He can always hit the NEAFL to improve his defence....just Like Tommy, Aliir and Tippet, before him

interesting point, I was getting a bit tired of hearing how Rance kept Buddy to 1 goal, given the way Buddy was kicking Buddy kept Buddy to one goal.

interesting point, I was getting a bit tired of hearing how Rance kept Buddy to 1 goal, given the way Buddy was kicking Buddy kept Buddy to one goal.

Yeah Buddy was having an off day, which in a way you can credit to Rance. He definitely gets inside his opponents heads and frustrated the s**t out of Buddy almost from the first bounce (his weak antics would frustrate anyone though) I just think he's really over-rated. He makes defending look really cool but I would much rather Grundy in my team if i had the choice between the two

Rance is a ******* octopus and a ham actor. As good as he played when uncontested (which was very good), he is a cheat!
agree ...where Bud is over umpired...Rance is definitely under umpired.

Agreed.
I'd like to see more of that. Tackling with an intent to hurt. Driving a player hard into the dirt is worth a hundred jumper shoves.

Agree with you both. His ability to get and use the ball is complemented with a streak of aggression.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back