Past Nic Newman - traded 2018, to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nic Newman and his brother on AFL 360, Video starts at the interview

Good interview. Mav a bit overawed I think and not quite sure what to say but spoke well.

Main thing that stood out was how lazy he looked. Never seemed to run hard- even manning the mark up he didn't seem to rush to do- he just lethargically ran around turning the ball over.

Very strange from someone who should be competing for a spot in the 22.

This is exactly what I thought. There were a few moments where he just didn't push hard enough or ball-watched or switched off when they took a mark that were incredibly telling. Then there were the times when he wasn't 100% sure where to run to and got stuck in no-mans land, which probably made him look a bit lazier than he was. But either way, it's not up to standard at AFL level.

And that's not even getting started on his panic bombs out of defence, some of which come off the side of the boot and end up being panic hand grenades at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what now? Lloyd is one of our most important players!
yeh nah....Lloyd has a role that can be replicated by a number of players. I really struggle with the thought he is one of our most important, I don't see it. He is an accumulator of possessions, sure, his ability to sting the opposition with setting up play is not elite. Back to Newman though, he really has an ability to make the very simple look extremely difficult.

yeh nah....Lloyd has a role that can be replicated by a number of players. I really struggle with the thought he is one of our most important, I don't see it. He is an accumulator of possessions, sure, his ability to sting the opposition with setting up play is not elite. Back to Newman though, he really has an ability to make the very simple look extremely difficult.
Name them!

Name them!
IMO you could place just about any backline or mid in the role...even a Rohan could do the job. Getting mainly uncontested possessions..being fed the ball then delivering it. Most AFL players should be able to play this role. Lloyd is good at what he is instructed to do, This is not saying he is ordinary, it’s my opinion any number of players could execute the role and that is why I wouldn’t have him in my mind as one of our most important players.

I think we'll just agree to disagree ... for this thread at least ha! Definitely with you on Newman though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back