Rookie 28: Oliver Dempsey (2021 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

There really isn't much this kid can't do and is still a baby in footy terms.

This is a vid from a few weeks ago, so plenty have probably already seen it.

He has had a couple more big games since this one and for mine is looking like he could actually be an inside/outside mid.

Look at some of his attributes in just this game.

Overhead marking/floating through the air
Ziz zagging in traffic/agility
Picking the ball up at pace in traffic
Tuch the ball under the arm
Don't argue
Goal kicking
Possession gathering all over the ground with one of the biggest running capacities at the club
They just can't lay a glove on him

Last year he averaged 17p and 0.7 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 3 of 14 games.

So far this year he is going at 21.5p and 1.25 goals in the VFL and had over twenty in 6 of 8 games (32pb last night).

As much as I'd love to see him getting full games this year, if it doesn't happen I'm very confident that in a couple of years that he will be a very, very good player.

He started so far behind the eight ball but just has so many tricks... Guys with this many tricks are pretty rare.

Add 5 more kilograms on him and another year or two in the system and he could be pushing elite.

He could be anything skill and natural talent wise.. add sone more density and fitness.. and lookout..

For a rookie pick already exceeded expectations..

Go Catters

It's just ridiculous how much upside this kid has. Even as a half forward I was impressed, but this move to the mids has been inspired. Did not know he was capable of half of these things, and is still only in his 2nd year.

Clean disposal, hard at it, incredible mark, and can really rack it up. Kicks goals too given he started as a forward. Sky is the limit for the kid we plucked from virtual obscurity.

Wellsy's done it again!

Last edited:

That's what I'm looking forward to.
Club social media a while ago did a "what are you afraid of" vox pop of the players a while ago with responses like "sharks", "Spiders" etc.

Best answer: "Ollie Dempsey at 85kgs"

Already grown 2cm since he was drafted as well. Has the frame to be a beast, given how much bigger he looks this year already. Didn't even have him in the convo for our future midfield, but him, Bruhn, Jhye, Holmes, Knevitt and Conway, alongside Bowes and Atkins - is a very enticing prospect moving forward.

No doubt this game was a standout. 8 coaches votes in a 40 point loss. (After a 10 vote and 9 vote game). Certainly can’t do much more at this level - of course it is the lower level)

His trajectory will not be linear and I expect he will be targeted more strongly and at times will look bad given he is still learning.

What I thought was interesting in his interview was that he outlined two elements (in an inarticulate way!) that seem to I think be driving increased confidence evident in performance. He mentioned getting physically stronger and playing footy for “longer”. The last point was interesting and it reminds us that he is still learning the game and hasn’t played much at any level. Certainly not in the middle (he reminded us he did back “in the old days” which I assume was u12!!).

He has upside and I think most of it is about building confidence…

Not saying he will, but he's got the tools to be the best player in the competition.

When you think about the players every club desires, it's burst players who can rack them up in the midfield and then add strike up forward.

He's always had spark, but adding the ability to be an inside mid to his game is huge, reminds me a bit of Conor Rozee.

If he can really fill out, the sky is the limit with this guy.

Ollie Dempsey takes a great mark. Picture: Michael Klein
Ollie Dempsey takes a great mark. Picture: Michael KleinSource: News Corp Australia

Leave him in the VFL unless he will get midfield minutes at AFL level. Full time mid now
I like this but if we don't get him in the side as a flank or sub is he likely to even try a game?
Not saying he will, but he's got the tools to be the best player in the competition.

When you think about the players every club desires, it's burst players who can rack them up in the midfield and then add strike up forward.

He's always had spark, but adding the ability to be an inside mid to his game is huge, reminds me a bit of Conor Rozee.

If he can really fill out, the sky is the limit with this guy.
Big call hope you're right. Haven't taken much notice but I want him to be playing more than 15 games this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any other contenders with one game to go? Seems a very quiet round 1 which is usually a strong field for a nomination.
This is the round 1 field with the exception of the current ongoing Freo v Brisbane match. The Swans bloke Roberts got it last week so he's not eligible. It should be in the bag unless the AFL want to give the Roos a good news story.

rs.png

So the excitement around the marking and goals is understandable. And the Hair and boots help the hype! But watching those highlights the most exciting thing to me long term is those kicks to Close and 2E.

All night we butchered balls going into the F50 but I think all of his were productive and those 2 highlights are elite.

No doubt he will have a bad game soon but that type of vision and confidence to execute at his level of development is a good long term sign I think - even if he is a little inconsistent along the way (which if it was just marks and goal tricks it will be)

I'll be honest I hadn't really paid him too much attention. Just thought he was too small and would peta out and off the list in a few years. Proved me wrong. He was excellent last night, can't be the only one who didn't Think he had that in him? How tall is he

I'll be honest I hadn't really paid him too much attention. Just thought he was too small and would peta out and off the list in a few years. Proved me wrong. He was excellent last night, can't be the only one who didn't Think he had that in him? How tall is he
187 on the cats app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back