#28 Oscar McDonald - ... aaand he's gone

Ive just won the grand final, you of all people should know I need a couple days off

"It's ******* November" 😂
when you play in Perth on a Sunday and have to fly to Melbourne on Saturday its hard as you really only get one nights sleep in

People will laugh but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into coaching at a lower level, they've always spoken pretty highly at the club of his read of the play from a defender's perspective even if he didn't have the skill or body to execute. It's what's kept him in the side the last few years.
That'll be a plot twist. Omac returns in 2040 and coaches the Dees to a drought breaking premiership.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Another kid who had his spirit broken by the Dees. After his second season he seemed like he was on track to be a 200 gamer. Another one on the pile.
He was pick 53 in the 2014 draft so he came in when Roos and Jackson were at the club. The poor development excuse can't be given in this situation imo some players just aren't up to it.

He was pick 53 in the 2014 draft so he came in when Roos and Jackson were at the club. The poor development excuse can't be given in this situation imo some players just aren't up to it.
This. Oscar had some good patches for the club, even this year when he first came in v GC and the Hawks looked solid as a 3rd tall in the backline. However he was never more than a bum kick away from falling apart it seemed.
Maybe in a better, more consistent side he'd have become a solid defender but probably did as much as he could with us.

No shame in that.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah never showed an ability to mark the all in defence, being a stopper isn't just enough in today's games unless you're brilliant at something else.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it's fair to be critical of our development when you look at how many blokes have had spent extended amounts of time on the list in the last 5-6 years and never really improved significantly.

Can't agree that Oscar ever looked like a 200 gamer though, was always a project player at best for mine. Always had a bit of a deer in the headlights look about him and lacked intensity.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah never showed an ability to mark the all in defence, being a stopper isn't just enough in today's games unless you're brilliant at something else.

Yep. OMac is actually a very good field kick but you need more than that as a KPD. I remember thinking he was composed but then realizing he was just slow as *.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Your joking aren't you
Started out promising then shrank away to nothing, I've seen this movie a few times. Seemed like his interest in football walked out with Roos.

And FWIW, if given a straight choice between him or Joel Smith, I would've kept OMac.

In what world? (Given, im a massive Joel Smith truther)

One has freakish athleticism and an ability to play on a variety of opponents, the other gets embarrassed regularly playing strictly on players his own size.

No doubt he had the potential to be a 100-150 game player (might still get there..), but I agree he is another player who didn't develop at our club.

Part is on him, no doubt, but I think part is on us.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
No doubt he had the potential to be a 100-150 game player (might still get there..), but I agree he is another player who didn't develop at our club.

Part is on him, no doubt, but I think part is on us.

Agree to disagree, we carried him for a while until it became untenable because he was playing as a #1 or #2 KPD and wasn't up to it.

Lol do me a favour. I like Oscar but he played 81 games and was pretty well nurtured at the start. Obviously suffered a bit from Goodwin, as they all have given he's a bad coach, but he had plenty of chances.

Back