#28 Oscar McDonald - ... aaand he's gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Still costs us goals each week due to his size but he's pretty impressive for a 19 year old key defender .. I'm starting to think he will be better than his brother
I can deal with him conceding goals now if it turns him into a premiership KPD a few years ahead of schedule.

I can deal with him conceding goals now if it turns him into a premiership KPD a few years ahead of schedule.

Someone said it before me in another thread but he will end up our Fullback , the axis to the Diamond if you will while Frost and Tmac flank him and use their athleticism to come third man up against the dangerous blokes

Oscar isn't as athletic as his brother but he still defends aswell in his 2nd season as Tom. Uses his body well for a kid and is better by hand and foot. Tom used his athleticism to get to alot of contests

See if your saying that if he gets out bodied by Hawkins to win the game for the cats in 2 weeks ;)

I'm stoked he has come on so quickly. Full credit to the coaching staff for continuing to play him when it probably would have been easier to send him back to Casey to develop further in the second half of this year. They stuck by their man instead of reverting to Dunn or Garland, and it's already paying dividends.

Fair to say I was very harsh on young Oscar earlier in the year. No doubt he was a liability at times, and will be sometimes for the next year or two as he continues to develop. Hopefully in time he will be less of a liability than his brother. But well done all involved on developing him from backline whipping boy into promising youngster in the space of about 10 weeks.

Just gotta keep playing the kid.
Can forgive skill errors which look so much worse coming out of defense as opposed to any other area on the ground because they cost you goals.
He's shown more than enough and just another good decision by Roosy to stick with him instead of getting Garland or Dunny Brush back in.
Get Hunt a nom in the next 2 weeks and that's 5 for us for the year!

I think Frost moving back to defence has also helped OMac big-time. Frost is very athletic and has been able to leave his man to help OMac kill the contest, similar to what TMac does. As a result he's left with fewer one-on-ones. They also adapt and adjust better to this 'diamond defense', whereas Dunn and Garland don't have the athleticism to handle it.

I think Frost moving back to defence has also helped OMac big-time. Frost is very athletic and has been able to leave his man to help OMac kill the contest, similar to what TMac does. As a result he's left with fewer one-on-ones. They also adapt and adjust better to this 'diamond defense', whereas Dunn and Garland don't have the athleticism to handle it.

Spot on analysis, frost has become crucial. Pick 21 or whatever is an absolute bargain now plus we got some later picks?

I think it was pick 21 for Frost and picks 40 & 53. Which funny enough ended up to be Neal Bullen and OMac.

Not bad.
That's why I think high picks are overrated, we turned a second round pick into 2 key backs for 10 years and very good young inside midfielder

i know he cops it, but thought he was an unsung hero on monday. Played a pretty decent game
Yep, was pretty shaky early on and made a couple of errors but he got better as the game went on and was pretty good for most of the day. Still think his lack of urgency hurts him and the team at times, so I hope he can change that part of his game and play with more urgency.

i know he cops it, but thought he was an unsung hero on monday. Played a pretty decent game
It wasn't the greatest game, wasn't the worst, but I've noticed both McDonalds have very good resilience. Despite the odd mistake they fight the game out rather than dropping their heads. Critical attitude in close games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that he'll be benefited immensely by skilled half backs like Hibberd and Salem, and the run of Hunt. Tom McDonald and, back in the day, James Frawley running and kicking the ball out of defence is a recipe for disaster.

I don't know what happened to Oscar over the bye weekend but his last two weeks have been very solid, suddenly he looks like he knows what he is doing, kicks hitting targets and was in almost every aerial contest in the defensive 50 today. Kudos to him, I was on the drop him bandwagon earlier in the year, now I just want to see him doing what he did today every week.

I don't know what happened to Oscar over the bye weekend but his last two weeks have been very solid, suddenly he looks like he knows what he is doing, kicks hitting targets and was in almost every aerial contest in the defensive 50 today. Kudos to him, I was on the drop him bandwagon earlier in the year, now I just want to see him doing what he did today every week.

Must have met a lass who gave him the best blowie of his life

I think it was pick 21 for Frost and picks 40 & 53. Which funny enough ended up to be Neal Bullen and OMac.

Not bad.

What makes this trade more interesting is that what we paid (pick 23) was used on Pat McKenna...who cost us literally nothing last trade period!

Played a great game today did OMac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back