Autopsy 28 point loss vs. GWS franchise

Remove this Banner Ad

This, anyone who can recognise Scotts impact on our current situation is going to cop a big like from me 👍 you can slice it you can dice it, you can put it in a mix master but you’ll never escape the reality that for the ten years he was out coach Scott put us behind our competitors year for year he was there ☹️

At the end of this season I see another list clean out, some excellent first round picks, good trading, Clarkson back on board for a killer preseason and our next premiership core to be on the park and firing from round 1 2024 👊

I want a big like

There were actual posters praising the Scotts Gaslighter in here earlier in the year

And that’s when he does manage to get it, which is about as often as Sasquatch sightings.

I'm gonna say something, and it'll sound stupid.

Did anyone watch Cyril Rioli early in his career? He was just like Spicer. Didn't get it much, flying around, putting pressure on, trying the impossible and not quite pulling it off. And that guy became Cyril ******* Rioli.

Now I'm not saying Spicer is Rioli, or is going to be Rioli. But he's that kind of player. Which is to say, the kid's played ELEVEN GAMES. Plus everyone's whinging about how half the team doesn't put enough pressure on.

So give the kid a break. He's speculative. But if he can grow into what his skillset brings, which is a bouncy, pressurising forward who can roam around and bounce into stoppages? Those players make things happen, and teams are better if they have a good one.

Will he become a good one? No idea, but for those of you who seem to be writing him off so absolutely, I'd be curious as to what you actually mean and what role and standard you're comparing him to when you say "Doesn't look like a footballer" or "Isn't a footballer's a-hole"

Greens goal where he ran into goal with LMac chasing him.

There was a quick shot of a North fan in a blue jacket standing up and pointing at someone on the ground. Haven’t looked at the replay but it looked like he was pointing out something

Anyway which one of you was it?

So he's got a strong mentality and great spirit, but it's also so weak that it'll be extinguished by shitmen?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
He's got a great spirit but North of late have been very good at stripping away players' mental resolve. We've had several double digit leads in the last quarter since the start of last year, and we've often coughed up that lead as if a loss was a foregoing conclusion.

No one improved last year except for LDU. Our blokes' despondency and helplessness increased with each goal we conceded, before the inevitable blowout. Those scars still linger and we need to make sure they don't rub off on the young guys.

Wardlaw's been a nice injection of energy but if he doesn't see his teammates cracking in, he'll start wondering what the hell he's doing here. It's how team dynamics work. Even if the days of thrashings are generally behind us (we'll find out whether that's the case in the next few weeks) there's just a lingering stench of losing within the team. A lot of our blokes expect to lose and don't really think a win is achievable. We saw it against Sydney in the last quarter, we saw it today.

Did anyone watch Cyril Rioli early in his career? He was just like Spicer. Didn't get it much, flying around, putting pressure on, trying the impossible and not quite pulling it off. And that guy became Cyril ******* Rioli.

Now I'm not saying Spicer is Rioli, or is going to be Rioli. But he's that kind of player. Which is to say, the kid's played ELEVEN GAMES. Plus everyone's whinging about how half the team doesn't put enough pressure on.

So give the kid a break. He's speculative. But if he can grow into what his skillset brings, which is a bouncy, pressurising forward who can roam around and bounce into stoppages? Those players make things happen, and teams are better if they have a good one.

Will he become a good one? No idea, but for those of you who seem to be writing him off so absolutely, I'd be curious as to what you actually mean and what role and standard you're comparing him to when you say "Doesn't look like a footballer" or "Isn't a footballer's a-hole"
I’ll be short he’s ******* scared of the football , contact everything he’s a waste of time

I normally like your post, but this one is horrific.

Cyril Rioli actually was able to get the ball to try the impossible. This bloke struggles to get it and makes the easy look impossible.

Trying to compare Cyril to Spicer is drawing a looong bow.

Spicer is the anti Rioli.

It does sound stupid, sorry Yianni.

You do realise Rioli was a big reason the Hawks won the 2008 premiership in his 1st year right? Rising Star nomination in his 6th game. They are both indigenous, that is where the comparisons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one improved last year except for LDU. Our blokes' despondency and helplessness increased with each goal we conceded, before the inevitable blowout. Those scars still linger and we need to make sure they don't rub off on the young guys.

Wardlaw's been a nice injection of energy but if he doesn't see his teammates cracking in, he'll start wondering what the hell he's doing here. It's how team dynamics work. Even if the days of thrashings are generally behind us (we'll find out whether that's the case in the next few weeks) there's just a lingering stench of losing within the team. A lot of our blokes expect to lose and don't really think a win is achievable. We saw it against Sydney in the last quarter, we saw it today.

This worries me. The youngest, newest player in our team has almost been our best. If Warlord doesn’t get support or see others putting in, he’s likely to wonder wtf the point is.
We have to get the balance right and I don’t think we have so far. We’ve got great youth surrounded by mediocrity with a losing mentality.
I think Hawks have overtaken us because their kids have lost and won together. They’re all putting in similarly and as they’ve played better together, won together, they’ll believe together.

What have our leaders shown? Our supposed spiritual leader isn’t even in the side at the moment, Ziebell lost us the game last week, Hall backs out of contests and ALL OF THE SENIOR PLAYERS think skills are optional.

McDonald is our captain. Right??

Anyone thinking the turnaround is inevitable is delusional. We have to get this right. We have to choose the senior players (who are meant to show the way) wisely. We have to select older players who set the standard and LEAD. We can’t pick coaches lovechildren/untouchables, we can’t relist spuds and definitely can’t gift games to players who have shown all they’re gonna show and have no upside.

We’ve been guilty of all of this this year and it’s very concerning.

We keep pointing to our youth when we lose to younger teams. We keep pointing to an inevitable successful future as though the past almost 25 years haven’t been pretty much wasted in irrelevance.

Today was absolutely a dark day for this club make no mistake.

This worries me. The youngest, newest player in our team has almost been our best. If Warlord doesn’t get support or see others putting in, he’s likely to wonder wtf the point is.
We have to get the balance right and I don’t think we have so far. We’ve got great youth surrounded by mediocrity with a losing mentality.
I think Hawks have overtaken us because their kids have lost and won together. They’re all putting in similarly and as they’ve played better together, won together, they’ll believe together.

What have our leaders shown? Our supposed spiritual leader isn’t even in the side at the moment, Ziebell lost us the game last week, Hall backs out of contests and ALL OF THE SENIOR PLAYERS think skills are optional.

Anyone thinking the turnaround is inevitable is delusional. We have to get this right. We have to choose the senior players (who are meant to show the way) wisely. We have to select older players who set the standard and LEAD. We can’t pick coaches lovechildren/untouchables, we can’t relist spuds and definitely can’t gift games to players who have shown all they’re gonna show and have no upside.

We keep pointing to our youth when we lose to younger teams. We keep pointing to an inevitable successful future as though the past almost 25 years haven’t been pretty much wasted in irrelevance.

Mate I feel your pain and you make some valid points about our list but considering where we are at it wasn’t that bad, chin up old man 😉

This is a running league, they have great runners. They can put pressure on you when you have the ball, close down space you want to use then blow you away on the spread.

We have ... george.
Yeah just on this point. The point of difference George offers as a first year player is that he ALWYS goes straight at the man. He doesn’t corral or zone off. The opposition have no time when he is around. Our players and coaches could learn a lot from this.

One of the more ridiculous posts I have seen.

Rioli was a top 15 pick - Spicer was - as you say - a late speculative pick for us.

The fact that Spicer has continued to be selected in the firsts is just another in a long list of questionable selection decisions which when you add them all up are materially impacting our ability to win games of football.

Spicer is scared of impact - he shows not one ounce of 'footy nous' - and his skill level is average at best. He simply should not be playing at AFL level.

As for Spicer v Rioli - I mean really.

Me before fact checking: 'interesting view'

Me after fact checking: 'i hope this Yiannis is 24 hours into a bender at revolver, and is posting this from the couch next to the dance floor while waiting for his 30th pinga to kick in'

Screenshot_20230611-190942.png Screenshot_20230611-190953.png

It does sound stupid, sorry Yianni.

You do realise Rioli was a big reason the Hawks won the 2008 premiership in his 1st year right? Rising Star nomination in his 6th game. They are both indigenous, that is where the comparisons end.
Lol. It's funny, I wrote that out, not knowing if it was true.

At the end I was going to write "Actually, I don't know if that's true. But the point is, that players like that either look like the best players in the world or the worst. I mean it's not like Bigfooty didn't spent half of Cyril's career arguing over whether he was an effective player with his low disposal numbers."

And then I completely forgot to write that, and just posted the thing I made up about Rioli's early years!

bbc three mongrels GIF by BBC

Hawks captain is Sicily. Ours is Luke MacDonald. Enough said.

Sick of LMac, Hall and JZ in our back line.

Small forwards were way worse tho. Slevo, Curtis, Bull, Spicer were all shocking. Seems almost attitudal from Slevo and Curtis, you can tell with their first contest if they'll actually have a dip for the game. Larkey and CJ can hold their heads high.

Recon Golds had a mare today too. Pushed around, didn't win the taps, didn't impact around the ground.

Cyril's first year (and third year in brackets) vs. Spicer's third year.

Average Disposals
Cyril: 13.8 (17.3)
Spicer: 7

Average Goals
Cyril: 0.96 (1.35)
Spicer: 0.2

Average Marks
Cyril: 3.92 (4.05)
Spicer: 0.95

Average Tackles
Cyril: 3.48 (4.9)
Spicer: 4

The comparison is absolutely ridiculous.

Every player that we bring into the club from now on either needs to be an exceptional kick or needs to be able to run fast and have some proper size about him. No more of these slow and/or skinny blokes that get rinsed by proper athletes time after time, and then can't do anything with the ball when they do get it.
If you don’t have an ‘elite’ attribute then don’t draft them. If I took Eddie Ford vs Curtis Taylor for example, Eddie is a good reader of play, a good decision maker and has good disposal. He is a 100% upgrade on a Curtis Taylor who gives great effort. There’s 1000’s of players who give great effort. Stop drafting effort players. Yeah Wardlaw has great effort but he also has ball winning ability and great disposal and game sense. List management has to lift their game significantly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back