Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
WHY SHANE HARVEY WOULD HAVE PREFERRED TO GET DRAFTED AS A 25-YEAR-OLD
BY SEN

Former Essendon and North Melbourne forward Shane Harvey says he wishes he had been drafted as a 25-year-old rather than at 18 years of age.
Harvey managed just 14 career games across both clubs but when he went back to play local footy, he kicked 100 goals in a season on nine different occasions for three different clubs.

The 36-year-old has been playing at North Heidelberg in the Northern Football Netball League, which is the same club that brother Brent plays at, for over 10 years.
Harvey says this success may have translated to his AFL career if he was drafted at a later stage of his life.

“A lot of people talk about the draft age but if I had have got drafted at 25, I reckon I would’ve been a hell of a lot better player than getting drafted at 19,” he told Kevin Bartlett and Terry Wallace on SEN Drive.

“I was a lot more mature and enjoyed my footy a lot more.
“It was obviously a little easier, local footy, than the AFL ranks.
“Now at 25, 26 (years of age), a lot of players nowadays get an opportunity I think just because they mature a lot more and they’re bigger bodies and they’re ready to go, ready-made AFL players.”
Mature-age recruits that currently play in the AFL include Carlton’s Michael Gibbons, St Kilda’s Matthew Parker and Melbourne’s Marty Hore.

amaz199

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Places a bit of perspective for teams to consider.

Sam Gibson got drafted at mature age and immediately had an impact. The guy could run, cover defensive deficiencies and kicked some nice goals in his debut season. Sounds remarkably similar to Dumont and he's quite close to mature age as well. Funnily enough he is having his best season stats wise so far.

Nothing wrong with mature age recruitment as long as the player isn't injury prone and can slot right into the core group of players that build a premiership.

Kangaroo Cat

Team Captain
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As an immigrant who is relatively new to AFL could someone please explain to me why the bulldogs supporters hate north so much? I mean I always liked the doggies ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
As an immigrant who is relatively new to AFL could someone please explain to me why the bulldogs supporters hate north so much? I mean I always liked the doggies ..
Well up until 2016 we were more successful than they were. 1998 round22 is a good game to check out.

Probably the best game I've been too, certainly the highest quality wet weather game I can remember.

2 inner city smallish clubs who hate each other's guts.

Kangaroo Cat

Team Captain
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well up until 2016 we were more successful than they were. 1998 round22 is a good game to check out.

Probably the best game I've been too, certainly the highest quality wet weather game I can remember.

2 inner city smallish clubs who hate each other's guts.
Thank you :) I feel sad i missed the whole 90's, seen a few of the games where I can and wow, i ache to see more of that style

Top Bottom