Player Watch #28: Taylor Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

HE'S the perfect example of why you draft guys with a FOOTBALL and not athletics background.
Hunt is your stereotypical athlete whose skills were never developed properly.
Yet despite the mantra of seven years ago that we would only be bringing in elite kicks to the mix, we go out and get these guys like Hunt and Hislop before him.
AFL clubs only have so much precious time to devote to righting a persons skills. It's largely expected once you come into the AFL stsem your skills are at a certain level.
I sat among a horde of Cats supporters and each one of them told the same story.
Taylor Hunt is an elite runner and hard at it as anyone and a pretty reasonable run-with player, but his disposal - especially by foot - is ordinary.
I found this interesting from Neil Balme in the Geelong Addy from October 2014.

“He probably won’t have a spot on our list, unfortunately,” football manager Neil Balme said on SEN last night.
“That’s just the way it is. You don’t have enough numbers (on your list) unfortunately, that’s just the way it will be for Taylor.
“I’m pretty sure he will find another club, but I’m not quite sure who that will be.”

I'll take that as he won;t survive the cull at the end of 2017.

Skills are learnt up to 16-18 years of age after that it's difficult to coach skills not saying it can't be done but it's difficult

Skills are learnt up to 16-18 years of age after that it's difficult to coach skills not saying it can't be done but it's difficult

Spoke with a couple of our coaches about this at Maroochydore - we just don't do it apparently. I then picked my jaw up off the ground.

Depth players shouldn't be playing all JLT games. Up and comers such as Short, McIntosh and Markov should be given all the gametime

Haha - and then there are people who would say Macca and Short fit the definition of depth players. That it was that easy................

You'll get even more confused when and if Garthwaite gets a game - though his weird ball drop will tell you it's him

I still don't understand how Taylor gets a game week in and week out.
Have watched him since U18s days when he was a team mate of a friend at Sandringham Dragons. Had pace and decent foot skills at junior level, but when the heat is on at AFL level has always been found lacking the time to make a decent decision on disposal. His fallback is always just to "put it on the boot" and it balloons up and good luck to anyone forward trying to get any advantage from his kick.
Not a fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HE'S the perfect example of why you draft guys with a FOOTBALL and not athletics background.
Hunt is your stereotypical athlete whose skills were never developed properly.
Yet despite the mantra of seven years ago that we would only be bringing in elite kicks to the mix, we go out and get these guys like Hunt and Hislop before him.
AFL clubs only have so much precious time to devote to righting a persons skills. It's largely expected once you come into the AFL stsem your skills are at a certain level.
I sat among a horde of Cats supporters and each one of them told the same story.
Taylor Hunt is an elite runner and hard at it as anyone and a pretty reasonable run-with player, but his disposal - especially by foot - is ordinary.
I found this interesting from Neil Balme in the Geelong Addy from October 2014.

“He probably won’t have a spot on our list, unfortunately,” football manager Neil Balme said on SEN last night.
“That’s just the way it is. You don’t have enough numbers (on your list) unfortunately, that’s just the way it will be for Taylor.
“I’m pretty sure he will find another club, but I’m not quite sure who that will be.”

I'll take that as he won;t survive the cull at the end of 2017.

This would be the smart sort of relatively cutthroat decision-making needed to take us forward. Guys like Hunt, Morris, Lambert, Grigg (to far less of an extent as he has shown more than those others....in fact I'd keep him until he becomes a fringe player), Elton, Townsend should be the first guys to go. Followed by Maric,Hampson, Griff (once we have replacements and depth), Batch, Houli over the next year (2019 or 2020) and possibly Conca, BEllis (trade option), Lennon as well (we will know in 12 months about this lot if they remain injury free)....

I like the fact that he's a Richmond fan and he always did his best for us. Was fantastic in Rd 1 2015 vs Carlton.

Overall not a good player at AFL level, but a real battler who did what was required of him.

His girlfriend is a ******* glamour too, so I'll miss seeing her on the red carpet.

Played his role in helping us win the Flag (by not playing much).

Servant and gave his all. Limited foot skills and turned the ball over a lot. But can say he played footy at the highest level, and achieved some success.

On a personal level was friendly to me when I said gday Poodle at the golf club of which Im a member of. Jack was playing with him that day (last year). I remember fondly cause I was in their group on the timesheet but they ditched me and played alone. Assholes.

Anyway, I said to Jack next year (2017) the flag's ours right? He said yes.

!!!!!!!

More fixed
A few premiership players and coach in that list now:D

Anyway, thank you and good bye Taylor. Great attack on the ball, but unfortunately a list filler over his time while we worked through the compromised drafts.
Hopefully there is no need to bring in this type of player going forward and we have learnt the lesson of having the real "triers" on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back