Delisted #29: Alwyn Davey- Not offered a contract for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon anyone will pick him up? Melbourne? Lol

He was a excitement machine when he wanted to be those Chase downs where the opposition had no idea he was behind them were the best!

Wouldn't be the worst pickup for GWS for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The greatest time of his career was when he was that cheeky, extremely skinny little small forward in the #29 who wouldn't look out of place in the Olympic 100m (think 2007-08)... And then he turned into a key forward.

220px-Alwyn_davey.jpg

You would have thought the same thing about some of the other delistings in recent years- guys like Dyson.

Some of them just prefer to go back and play suburban footy, or go back to their original states.

More money playing country or suburban footy than the VFL in a lot of cases too.

Was still our best small forward this year, while Winder was out ... which is common.

I would have given him one more year!

Family favorite and this is a sad day for my family,
What was the alternative, though?

We've recruited Chappy, and with any luck, Winders and he will be fit and they will be our two small forwards. Davey would have barely got a game.

Pears was alternative for delisting, but he should still have much more than Davey to offer us going forward.

Not saying I'm necessarily happy about Davey being chopped- I'm not and he's been a solid servant for us. But, I believe it was the correct decision from a list management point of view.

What was the alternative, though?

We've recruited Chappy, and with any luck, Winders and he will be fit and they will be our two small forwards. Davey would have barely got a game.

Pears was alternative for delisting, but he should still have much more than Davey to offer us going forward.

Not saying I'm necessarily happy about Davey being chopped- I'm not and he's been a solid servant for us. But, I believe it was the correct decision from a list management point of view.

Pears was signed up already. I still maintain he was our best small forward this year and Chappy will probably influence games more than Alwyn, but more as that mid/fwd that I want Jetta to be. If anything Winder and Chappy mean there is no room for Jetta, we still need a dangerous goal sneak. It is the weakest link on our list, apart from genuine classy ball winners who are also quickish, and delisting the best in that position seems strange to me. If Dell or Tippa were banging the door down in the VFL then I'd understand.

If we delist Dell and put Davey on as a Rookie I'd also understand.

One of my Ethiopian mates is a die hard soccer supporter, EPL and all that, but whenever we'd watch a footy game, he was getting really into it because he loved watching Davey play, it pulled him in. Was beginning to think he'd start loving the sport and become an Essendon supporter.

I reckon he'll be disappointed by this news and his interest will wain.

With that said, from an Essendon point of view, this is an indication of stronger times = tougher decisions and with 100 games we've locked up any kids he has for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back