Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

What a surprise, best we don't train him as a midfielder. Hate to break that pattern.
Not necessarily a bad thing. He won't lose his midfielder skills in the forward group because he would mostly train as a crumbing small forward. Working with guys like Papley, Wicks and Sheather, with whom he shares a few characteristics. Hard nuts together.
Horse dies like to build versatility.
Let's see where he plays once the season starts. Likewise Sheather.

Sheldrick is our 4th shortest player but in the top 50% for weight. I think he'll likely trim down, can't imagine him gaining much more
Not 100% sure about that. He was finishing very strongly in his big games so what does he need to lose? He does look as if he could harden up a little, get more cut, and that will happen as he does more weights. Are we seeing the next Dane Zorko?

he's already a tank, but comparing him to more seasoned players, one wonders what his physique will end up like.
What I like about his physique is he is thick around the thighs and bum. Just like Rowbottom. No pun intended.
These guys are hard to push off the ball or get bumped. They maintain their ability to remain on their feet and ability to stay on the ball.
I am looking forward to some games from him in 22.

Sheldrick is our 4th shortest player but in the top 50% for weight. I think he'll likely trim down, can't imagine him gaining much more
Reckon he will put on a fair bit of size. Can't really see how he couldn't really. 5 or so years in AFL and almost every player fills out a fair bit and if there is any body that looks like it'll thicken up it's Gus the bus Sheldrick.

It will suit his game a lot. A lot of heft and a low centre of gravity will be good for him at th contest. It will just be a matter of making sure that he still has that ability to run hard to get to new contests.

When I saw Sheldrick's size - only 179cm but 88kg - I was pretty shocked. But then some photos and vision of him at training started to come out, and it made a bit more sense. He's carrying a bit of that puppy fat still, that will have to be turned into muscle. Warner was the same. I recall watching him in 2020 and you could see he was an absolute unit but a unit that needed to be a little leaner to be more capable. Lo and behold last year, he looked like he'd shedded some of that puppy fat and was just a unit of muscle and was playing with a lot more speed and strength than his first year. Hopefully Sheldrick will follow that path.

On those two, it will be interesting seeing how they go in the same midfield as I get very similar vibes from them, and whether they can work in unison or if they end up competing against each other as that nuggety bull of the midfield.

When I saw Sheldrick's size - only 179cm but 88kg - I was pretty shocked. But then some photos and vision of him at training started to come out, and it made a bit more sense. He's carrying a bit of that puppy fat still, that will have to be turned into muscle. Warner was the same. I recall watching him in 2020 and you could see he was an absolute unit but a unit that needed to be a little leaner to be more capable. Lo and behold last year, he looked like he'd shedded some of that puppy fat and was just a unit of muscle and was playing with a lot more speed and strength than his first year. Hopefully Sheldrick will follow that path.

On those two, it will be interesting seeing how they go in the same midfield as I get very similar vibes from them, and whether they can work in unison or if they end up competing against each other as that nuggety bull of the midfield.
At this stage Warner is like Rowbottom - the breakaway player. Both strong in the hips, a big burst of speed and no fear.
I see Sheldrick ultimately more of an extractor and crusher.
Some overlap but not so much that they can't all three work together.
Won't see it until 2025 IMO.

At this stage Warner is like Rowbottom - the breakaway player. Both strong in the hips, a big burst of speed and no fear.
I see Sheldrick ultimately more of an extractor and crusher.
Some overlap but not so much that they can't all three work together.
Won't see it until 2025 IMO.
in 3-5 years a centre bounce with Rowbottom, Warner and Sheldrick sounds really ******* exciting

Might take more time than that, and we will be excited by other your prospects by then. But ideally Heeney and Mills are still running the show in the midfield for a while yet.
in 3-5 years a centre bounce with Rowbottom, Warner and Sheldrick sounds really ******* exciting

Might take more time than that, and we will be excited by other your prospects by then. But ideally Heeney and Mills are still running the show in the midfield for a while yet.
More meant as a once off rotation occasionally in a game. Mills resting on the bench, Heeney resting forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i have no idea of comparative sizes, builds, etc but would an amon buchanan/adam schneider type be applicable?
buchanan always seemed to have such core strength and great balance, as a midfielder, while schneider was the nuggety small forward

i have no idea of comparative sizes, builds, etc but would an amon buchanan/adam schneider type be applicable?
buchanan always seemed to have such core strength and great balance, as a midfielder, while schneider was the nuggety small forward
Buchanan 1.79m 83kg
Schneiderman 1.75m 78kg
Closer to Buchanan at 1.79m but 88kg at draft. More solid, particularly through the thighs and hips. Lose a little fat, gain a little muscle he'll probably play mid to high 80's. Lower centre of gravity. If he ends up as good as either of those he'll be a great pickup.

I reckon that's a fair comparison hypno. They were both great contributors back in the day. Ten year old me used to always get them mixed up!

there were several great examples of buchanan's strength and balance in the 2005 finals run, particularly that amazng last quarter v geelong, the last quarter against st kilda and his grand final goal
Interesting comparison to Sheldrick's goal in the interstate U18 that dragged WA across the line when others were flagging. Reckon that might have got him picked earlier than first thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back