Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

For those that saw him today what sort of clearance player is he? Is he the Dangerfield style run the ball out of the clearance or more the Mitchell get the ball and handball it quickly to a free player out of the clearance sort of player?

Could be completely off, but this guy gives me strong hope we have a Liberatore/Viney on our hands. Nuggety, rough-as-guts left-footer with penetration in his kicking who's a leader and underrated around goals (in Liberatore's case anyway).

better than viney, surely!

For those that saw him today what sort of clearance player is he? Is he the Dangerfield style run the ball out of the clearance or more the Mitchell get the ball and handball it quickly to a free player out of the clearance sort of player?
More an Ollie Wines.

Very good with his hands. Not an A-grade kick at this stage, but does have a short sharp burst of speed to escape a pack.

Could be completely off, but this guy gives me strong hope we have a Liberatore/Viney on our hands. Nuggety, rough-as-guts left-footer with penetration in his kicking who's a leader and underrated around goals (in Liberatore's case anyway).

Also after the last few months of learning way more about Russian weapons than I ever thought I would I now look at your username and think it is based on an old Russian anti-aircraft missile system (as the S300 and S400 are anti-aircraft missiles).

More an Ollie Wines.

Very good with his hands. Not an A-grade kick at this stage, but does have a short sharp burst of speed to escape a pack.

Inside mids don't need to be elite kicks look at Parker

From a fans/team perspective it would be terrific, but I'm always surprised how early some first year players commit themselves to the club beyond their initial two year draft contract.

Gus hasn't featured in the firsts since the first game of the year, which is absolutely fine.
But if you are Gus why not back yourself in to feature more regularly next season and get a better payday than you might get if you were to re-sign now?

He's pretty much guaranteed to get a contract offer even if he doesn't play more often next season, so plenty of potential upside, but relatively little downside, apart from serious injury, I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve signed Corey and Roberts already to multi year contracts.

Can’t help but feel a bit nervous that Sheldrick hasn’t re-signed, as West Coast will be in his ear.
Don't make me bring out the FET (First Extension Timeline - trademark still pending) on you DQ!

Is he even worth another contract?

mountains dropping GIF by South Park

Is he even worth another contract?
I am not as sold on Sheldrick as others such as rusty and DQ, co-drivers of his bandwagon, however he's absolutely worth another contract. He was a first round pick and we wouldn't use such a pick on a player if we didn't think there was something there to work with, so we should give him an appropriate amount of time to show that. There's no clear path for him into the 22 at this stage, so we have the luxury of time on our side, not needing to rush his development.

He seems a tough and determined player who won't back away from a contest, which I think is a relatively good base to be starting from.

I'm also reliably informed that he's been taken under the wing of a few young Swans and they are very bullish on him and believe he will be our breakout player in season 2023, and they would know better than any of us.

I am not as sold on Sheldrick as others such as rusty and DQ, co-drivers of his bandwagon, however he's absolutely worth another contract. He was a first round pick and we wouldn't use such a pick on a player if we didn't think there was something there to work with, so we should give him an appropriate amount of time to show that. There's no clear path for him into the 22 at this stage, so we have the luxury of time on our side, not needing to rush his development.

He seems a tough and determined player who won't back away from a contest, which I think is a relatively good base to be starting from.

I'm also reliably informed that he's been taken under the wing of a few young Swans and they are very bullish on him and believe he will be our breakout player in season 2023, and they would know better than any of us.
Worth noting he was picked to play R1

Also, injury cruelled him in 2022.

Best case development scenario for Sheldrick fills exactly the hole we need in my opinion. Warner Mills Rowbotton and The Drick will really work.
Suspect Parker still has a bit to offer but I imagine that a 5 man rotation with occasional visitors (e.g. Papley) allows 3 of them (Parker, Warner, Sheldrick) to rest forward when not on the bench.
Angus would shoulder some of that defensive load too I imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back