Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

And today's Back On Track award goes to DB!! :smilev1:

Choo Choo Vintage GIF by US National Archives
DB... Deutsche Bahn, every 2nd train of there's is late or cancelled. Try again

... and we're de-railed again. Typical bloody off season!

Article in The Age today talking about last year's first round draftees still to re-sign;

Negotiations are also progressing well on new deals for midfielders (Finn) Callaghan (GWS) and Sheldrick,

My hope for today:

Gus has 25 disposals, kicks 3 & then announces he’s re-signed for 3 years.

Given limited minutes but looked at home. Every reason for us to be confident he will have a big year.

Snippet from;

Second-year midfielder Angus Sheldrick, who made his AFL debut in round one last year, is also due to come out of contract this year but is speculated to have agreed to a two-year extension. The club has yet to confirm the deal.Callum Twomey :)

Snippet from;

Second-year midfielder Angus Sheldrick, who made his AFL debut in round one last year, is also due to come out of contract this year but is speculated to have agreed to a two-year extension. The club has yet to confirm the deal.Callum Twomey :)
This could potentially be the greatest news in the history of the AFL.

Sheldrick should debut this week for the first time this year.

Roberts, who has impressed in the ressies, got his chance and held onto it for a few weeks. Sadly he is out for a few weeks at least. Results of scans have not been published yet to reveal the true extent of his injury.

Sheldrick starred in the ressies according to the coach Truslove
"Midfielder Angus Sheldrick continues to push hard for a senior recall, finishing with a game-high 35 disposals and nine clearances as well as two goals while young ruck Lachlan McAndrew had 37 hit outs and a goal.

After making his senior debut last week, Corey Warner had 19 disposals and six clearances to be Sydney's second-highest ball-winner behind Sheldrick, with Truslove highlighting some of the Swans performances.

“Angus Sheldrick was outstanding. He was heavily tagged, was targeted by the opposition, but he absorbed it really well and found a lot of the ball. He was hard and and tough for four quarters,” Truslove said".

Agree with all this, I would be betting my house on Angus getting a decent run in the 1’s this week. May be worth throwing into the middle as our midfielders have let us down last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoy your 2nd AFL game this week son!

They are cooking up a social media post I reckon, he doesn't have the Warner Bros, maybe some Angus Bull post

IMO Sheldrick is in to play midfield. We gave a wingman the boot, and if we wanted a like-for-like, we could just as easily have gone with Warner Jr., who was impressive on the weekend (obviously not at Sheldrick's level) and who has already played at the level this year.

Instead we went with Sheldrick, which suggests to me that we want his specific attributes of attack on the ball and terrier-like tackling and pressure. Those attributes are what we need on the inside.

I'm not sure how much time he spends in the mids. His midfield opportunities will probably depend on what we do with Mills, Papley and Gulden, but if he can get some decent exposure to stoppages and get to work with our other young mids for chunks of the game, you'd take that as a second-gamer.

Hope he kills it.

IMO Sheldrick is in to play midfield. We gave a wingman the boot, and if we wanted a like-for-like, we could just as easily have gone with Warner Jr., who was impressive on the weekend (obviously not at Sheldrick's level) and who has already played at the level this year.

Instead we went with Sheldrick, which suggests to me that we want his specific attributes of attack on the ball and terrier-like tackling and pressure. Those attributes are what we need on the inside.

I'm not sure how much time he spends in the mids. His midfield opportunities will probably depend on what we do with Mills, Papley and Gulden, but if he can get some decent exposure to stoppages and get to work with our other young mids for chunks of the game, you'd take that as a second-gamer.

Hope he kills it.
I have a good feeling on this.

I reckon Gulden goes to the wing, Mills goes to Greene and Sheldrick sits at the bottom of the pack scrapping. He'll make both their lives easier while also complimenting Warner's strengths. Rowbottom will play more main-man and Parker will do the crash and bash protecting.

I think his selection helps our midfield balance a lot

He has what our other midfielder lack. That is the combined abilities to
  1. read taps
  2. get his mitts on the ball
  3. break tackles
  4. stick his own tackles
  5. scoot clear with pace
I wouldn’t say Gus is endowed with enormous pace. He has a short sharp burst, but for most of the game, he chugs tirelessly up and down the ground - he’s the AFL equivalent of a diesel engine.

Think he’ll get a few centre bounces tomorrow. Probably plays predominantly forward and pushes into stoppages. Best craft is in the coalface, needs to be in the thick of it - his big chance to prove his place in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back