Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomer looked jacked out there yesterday. Saw a close up photo of him this morning, and he genuinely looked as fit as ever. Will have to try to catch him playing local footy this year at some point.

A Booming endorsement

y Dan Woods - North Media

From Denis Pagan to David Noble, Brent Harvey’s tenure at North Melbourne has transcended generations.

Starting his playing career as a fresh faced 18-year-old and finishing as one of the game’s all-time great players, Harvey is earning his coaching stripes under David Noble, continuing his development role with North’s young stars.

While there has been discussion’s surrounding Noble’s process-driven mentality, Harvey says Saturday’s win against Hawthorn is the perfect example of why he is the man to take North barrelling into the future.

“Just the way he (Noble) teaches the boys, the way the boys learn from him, he’s put a really good coaching staff in place, and I just think he’s so calm and calculated … he’s got a really good balance of being a hard-edged coach and he’s a winner,” Harvey told SEN.

“After every meeting after the game there’s no ups and downs, this is the process he wants to go through, sometimes we’re losing and we’re not getting it right, but we come in on Monday and Tuesday and he teaches them how that is meant to look, and come the end of the week the boys are super clear.

“If anybody is questioning ‘Nobes’, I will certainly be the first bloke to put my hand up and say don’t question him any further, he’s going to be a long campaigner for the North Melbourne Football Club and I look forward to working with him for hopefully a long, long time.”

North’s first win of the season was also Noble’s first win at senior level as a player or a coach, some 10,975 days after his playing debut with Fitzroy.

The victory was the also first experience of an AFL win for the Tom Powell, Will Phillips and Charlie Lazzaro, while the likes of Lachie Young and Connor Menadue belted out the club song for the first time since arriving over the off-season.

Harvey says the context surrounding North’s injuries and doubters just serve to make the victory all the sweeter.

“On the weekend for our last spot we had maybe four players to choose from, the VFL finished with 17 on the field a couple of weeks ago. The boys have been knocked pillar to post, but training standards have lifted over the last months,” he said.

“I has been a slow process but the process is there, and you can slowly see it’s building towards something pretty special I think. To top it off on the weekend with a win … it was a pretty special moment for the boys.

“The boys will walk away from that with their chests poking out a bit after that … I know the boys were talking on the plane about how they just want to bottle that feeling and do it every single week.”

Will Phillips was selected as medical substitute for Saturday’s victory and was not required to enter the field of play over the course of the game.

He made his return to North’s VFL side on Sunday and impressed with a solid 15-disposal performance, despite copping a hard tag for the entirety of the clash

Harvey says he can’t think of anyone better to carry on the legacy of the number 29.

“Will is a fantastic young man and I can promise he is going to get better, and better, and better, and better, and that will go for a long period of time,” he said.

“He’s a young boy with a really good head on his shoulders, he wants to come to training and games and learn every single time … I’ve been really impressed with what he’s been able to produce not only in games but at training and that improvement will be consistent and that’s exciting.

“It’s wrong of people to question young boys anyway, he’s 18 years old … I love seeing the number 29 out there and I think Will is fantastic choice.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back