Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

not going to happen but im absolutely sure he would still be that 20 touches a game, 30-40 goals a year, most damaging inside 50 kick in the comp, elite for running bounces and metres gained, borderline all australian. understand the decision and am over it now but think it was wrong and a hell of a shame.

BOOMER EMBROILED IN LOCAL FOOTY INCIDENT
b6997f213c9a328879c548a0cd891dbf

Michael Randall
-JON RALPH
AFL games record holder Brent Harvey could face a misconduct investigation after a half-time incident in a Northern Football League game on Saturday.
North Heidelberg player Harvey and Greensborough player Tynan Smith were involved in an incident as they walked off the ground at half time at War Memorial Park.
Harvey told the Herald Sun on Monday morning he had not been reported but would not go into the details of the game.
boomer.jpg

The league’s football boss Simon Devine told the Herald Sun on Sunday morning there had not yet been an incident report filed.
He did not return calls last night but it is believed there is video of the incident which could form part of an official report.
The umpire on the ground is also believed to have witnessed the incident.
There has been an allegation of spitting but it is not known what context it was in or whether it was a deliberate act.
Harvey played 432 AFL games for North Melbourne before being retired by the Roos and then continuing his stellar career with his local club.

Brent Harvey in clear over suburban footy spitting allegation
North Melbourne great Brent Harvey did not want to speak about an incident during a Northern Football League match, including an allegation of spitting.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
3 minutes ago

AFL games record holder Brent Harvey has been cleared of a spitting allegation at half time in the Northern Football League on Saturday.

Officials from the NFL this morning viewed video footage of the incident, which came as players left the ground at half time at War Memorial Park.
North Heidelberg player Harvey and Greensborough player Tynan Smith were involved, with allegations of misconduct.

But an NFL spokesman told the Herald Sun this morning there was video evidence, with no match-day report.

It means only if Greensborough puts in an official complaint will the incident go any further.
It is understood Greensborough, on the top of the NFL ladder, is keen to move on and avoid any distractions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Burgoyne actually a chance to break Boomers record?
372 games.

375 by the end of the year.

Will have played 33 over the last 2 years prior to that was exceedingly reliable.

So if he's slowing down and the last two years are where he's at, it'd take him 4 years to bridge the 57 games required.

If he has a reliable year next year then it probably only takes 3.

Hes 36.

Reckon he gets 400, think he falls a touch shy of Boomer

Is Burgoyne actually a chance to break Boomers record?

Neds 54 games, so another 3 years (minimum) he needs to play, which would make him 40 years old I believe. Definitely possible, but has only played 14 games this year, and 17 last year. Usually super durable, but anything can happen at this age. Even Boomer winded down a bit eventually.

COACHING "FIRE IN THE BELLY" FOR BOOMER HARVEY
BY PAUL SEBASTIANI 2 DAYS AGO

North Melbourne legend and AFL games record holder Brent Harvey says he has the ‘fire in the belly’ to go down the coaching path and progress the development role he currently has at Arden Street.

Harvey is in charge of player development for North Melbourne’s first and second-year players and declared his intentions to move into the AFL coaching realm following the end of the 2019 season.

He is also player-coach at North Heidelberg in Melbourne's Northern Football League.

“The fire is in the belly now,” Harvey said on SEN SA Breakfast.

“I never thought I’d really go down the coaching path in terms of wanting to be an assistant coach and maybe even a senior coach.

“Just coaching my own local team this year and having the ability to do things throughout games and manipulate games the way I want them to be, even though it’s at local level, you still get a really good feeling.”

Harvey went on to explain that he would sit down with newly-appointed Kangaroos head coach Rhyce Shaw at the end of the season to discuss his role at North Melbourne going forward.

“I’m not sure exactly what the role will be next year with the Kangaroos, but I’ll sit down with Rhyce in the next couple of weeks and go through what that looks like,” Harvey said.

“I think at this stage I still really like working with those young kids and trying to develop them as quick as I possibly can and maybe in a couple of years after that I can really sink my teeth into maybe being a line coach and see where that takes me.”

North Heidelberg’s preliminary final loss Brent Harvey’s last game as coach
For the second year straight North Heidelberg’s season ends at the penultimate hurdle against West Preston-Lakeside as an expanded role at North Melbourne sees Brent Harvey hand over the coaching reins.

Ben Higgins, Heidelberg Leader
Subscriber only
|
September 16, 2019 12:30pm

similars

Brent Harvey’s coaching stint at North Heidelberg came to an end on Sunday.

For the second year in a row the Bulldogs fell to West Preston-Lakeside in the NFL Division 1 preliminary final, going down by 12 points at Preston City Oval.
An expanding role at North Melbourne will see Harvey hand over the coaching reins for 2020, with his replacement already signed.

The club is expected to make a formal announcement in the coming days.

Bulldogs president Warren Haysom praised Harvey’s commitment to the club after taking over the role at late notice following Jimmy House’s decision to step down in January.

“He’s been superb for us on and off field and he’ll still have a playing role with the club next season,” he said.

Brent Harvey in action for North Heidelberg.

Brent Harvey in action for North Heidelberg.

“It’s been a discussion since Round 11 or 12, so we’re well underway with our plans for next season.”

The Bulldogs limped into the preliminary final with a host of players looking on from the sidelines, while Harvey had to overcome a groin injury to play a key role.

Spearhead Shane Harvey, star defender Ryan McGhie, Morgan Persson-Clark, Jack Jones and Jack Mapleson were all missing from the best 22.
With his team down by 24 points in the second quarter, Jesse Tardio almost single-handedly lifted North Heidelberg back into the game with some inspired play, while Shane Biggs, Mitch Dillon and Jhye Baddeley-Kelly also impressed.

Dogs captain Daniel Bramich said the playing group was hurting after the 11.6 (72) to 8.12 (60) loss but was confident it would bounce back.
“It’s disappointing, we didn’t really take our opportunities,” he said.

“Undisciplined things cost us a few (goals), 50m penalties made it too easy … but we’ll reload and go again next year.”

Haysom said the club was on the right track but needed to plan for the future as well as success in 2020.

“We’re not far off, we’ve finished third two years in a row, so we’ve made our mark in Div 1, we just need to consolidate,” he said.
“We’ve got some unfinished business (in 2020).

“It’s very tough in Division 1, you take your eye off the ball for five seconds and you don’t even finish in the top five, it’s that even between second and ninth.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back