Senior 29. Cameron Guthrie (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 23 - Cameron Guthrie

Very very excited about this guy's ability to read the play and drop into the hole. Excellent disposal. Looks to be a fantastic selection by Wells.

84 % efficiency too...very very good.

Top 10 in the running vertical jump too, for anyone who's interested.

Reckon he'll become that quality small defender we desperately need if he doesn't end up in the midfield.

Hope people just let him be and don't give him weight of expectation just because he's wearing 29.

Watching that video though, someone really needs to introduce him to Clearasil (I would have said Proaaaccctiv but I don't like annoying infomercials), but I'm sure he and the classy GHS will be quite popular with the young ladies.

84 % efficiency too...very very good.

Top 10 in the running vertical jump too, for anyone who's interested.

Reckon he'll become that quality small defender we desperately need if he doesn't end up in the midfield.

Hope people just let him be and don't give him weight of expectation just because he's wearing 29.

Watching that video though, someone really needs to introduce him to Clearasil (I would have said Proaaaccctiv but I don't like annoying infomercials), but I'm sure he and the classy GHS will be quite popular with the young ladies.

So now we are critiquing our players on there facial features and skin blemishes? My god, what was Wells thinking, we should drafted Justin Bieber! :D

Just a touch of expectation put on the kid.

Yes but Im sure he will get over having the pressure of Ken Hinkley's number on his back.

Seriously , Geelong has had such a long list of champions over its time , Id think most numbers would have someone illustrious on the locker. Perhaps Ling has a clean skin but most others would have someone of note. Just a question just how many champs would have worn 3,4 or 5 over the years.

Does anyone really care that Varcoe wears 5 after the big fuss that was made about it initially? I mean he might do something classy and you may think of the forebearer of the number every now and then but it's not something I would automatically link every week. The "pressure" is just a figment of the medias imagination IMO.

The "pressure" is just a figment of the medias imagination IMO.

Sort of agree SR , most pressure is self imposed , so as long as they remember the number is only such a small part of the pressure of being an AFL player , I can't see how having a number would be detrimental.
Give someone a jumper , any number let them wear it a while let them play and perform in it and soon it becomes their number.
Playing the game with all the external pressure's where the outcome are not always within their control is far harder , IMO

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/GeelongNews/NewsArticle/tabid/3933/newsid/121121/default.aspx

IF there were three words to describe Cam Guthrie’s initial AFL experience they would be short, sweet and unexpected.

“It was good to get a taste of senior footy and I’d love to get back in at some stage,” Guthrie said. “I’m not disappointed. You want to play senior footy every week, but I’m playing a good standard of footy at VFL level and think I’ve developed more as a player at VFL level than if I would have played AFL a bit more.

Having won the Cannons best and fairest last year playing in defence, the transition to a similar role with Geelong’s VFL team has been relatively smooth for Guthrie as he looks to run out the backline to launch attacks.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/GeelongNews/NewsArticle/tabid/3933/newsid/121121/default.aspx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Memory is a bit fuzzy, but was that after Duncan was out?

Duncan played a couple with Cam but was out the rest.
Caddy also missed the last 2-3.
But for me his most impressive performance was vs the Hawks, Duncan was the only out but Guth still racked up 30 & kicked 3 goals! That's a 2014 QF Selwood-esque performance right there!
Hope Cam can keep it up! Wonder what his role will be with the inclusions of Paddy & Scooter (if fit) then Duncan & Caddy back...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back