Past 29. Cameron Polson

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a message sent out to a few who finished the season in the reserves. If you chase with intent and tackle then you're infront of those who don't. I like how this is being developed into our team. This has been what was wrong with all Carlton teams since the early 2000's and what's right with everyone winning premierships.

Work ethic … not down hill skiers?

Thought he showed a lot on Saturday night - nice to end the year on a high and carry some confidence into the preseason.

Plenty of talk throughout the year as to whether he deserved to play as much senior football as he did in 2018, but given where we're at, it's important to take a long term view here. Clearly he has some weapons and we think he can add something going forward.

Think we've been smart in giving him an extended run in the seniors. May have looked out of his depth in many of those games, but that senior exposure can do a young player the world of good, and given where we're at, we can afford to do so.

I seem to remember just last year we gave a young kid 17 senior games in his debut season, who had very little impact in any of them, but who looked immeasurably better for it in his second campaign.

Not suggesting Polson can make as big a leap in 2019 as Fish did this year, but there is something to be said for bringing young kids up to the speed of AFL football as quickly as possible.

Will be interesting to see whether we transition Cam into more of a midfield role next year, just as we did with Zac this year. Both came to the club as midfielders.

Dare say that Pols must be impressing the coaches with his tenacity hence the continued run. Hopefully the confidence gained from a really impressive outing flows through to next year (and maybe the deft touch of a Sam Mitchell can further boost the on-field returns).

I didn't see the game so cant comment on his performance, but nice to see him hit the scoreboard and actually get a bit of the ball.

Still got a hell of a lot of work to do and wont be in our best 22 by rnd1 next year but gifting him games has resulted in at least 1 good performance. Definitely a good game to end on for personal confidence going into next year.

Thought he showed a lot on Saturday night - nice to end the year on a high and carry some confidence into the preseason.

Plenty of talk throughout the year as to whether he deserved to play as much senior football as he did in 2018, but given where we're at, it's important to take a long term view here. Clearly he has some weapons and we think he can add something going forward.

Think we've been smart in giving him an extended run in the seniors. May have looked out of his depth in many of those games, but that senior exposure can do a young player the world of good, and given where we're at, we can afford to do so.

I seem to remember just last year we gave a young kid 17 senior games in his debut season, who had very little impact in any of them, but who looked immeasurably better for it in his second campaign.

Not suggesting Polson can make as big a leap in 2019 as Fish did this year, but there is something to be said for bringing young kids up to the speed of AFL football as quickly as possible.

Will be interesting to see whether we transition Cam into more of a midfield role next year, just as we did with Zac this year. Both came to the club as midfielders.

And I'll add that one of our posters here said they saw him at the gym yesterday (not the club one) so looks like he's not having much of a rest in the off season. Reckon he might have got a bit of confidence from Fish, a guy smaller than him, really step it up in his second season of getting regular games. Hopefully Polson can put on a bit more mass and continue his rd23 form into season 2019.

I didn't see the game so cant comment on his performance, but nice to see him hit the scoreboard and actually get a bit of the ball.

Still got a hell of a lot of work to do and wont be in our best 22 by rnd1 next year but gifting him games has resulted in at least 1 good performance. Definitely a good game to end on for personal confidence going into next year.

Don't be so sure about that.

Expect this guy to come back in terrific shape and if he can stay injury free will likely play against Richmond. His work ethic will see him move past guys like Pickett and Garlett.

Interesting..................somehow the first bolded statement works and the second contradicts it....the term gifting him games is not the best choice of words I feel.

Last edited:
Interesting..................somehow the first bolded statement works and the second contradicts it....the term gifting him games is not the best choice of words I feel.

Not sure how, ive seen most of his games this year and is a long way from best 22 when all fit and firing, one half decent game doesn't change anything. And yes, he was GIFTED games, nothing surer

Not sure how, ive seen most of his games this year and is a long way from best 22 when all fit and firing, one half decent game doesn't change anything. And yes, he was GIFTED games, nothing surer
If being gifted games means giving a young raw player time in the seniors to find the pace and the space and the feeling that hey maybe I can make it out here..even with a body that gets bashed around and not much idea of the system or what his team mates do in game situations as opposed to training......then Fisher, SPS, McKay, Dow, O'brien etc etc were also in that category. And every other young bloke in every other side. There are rare exceptions where a debutant just stars but not often. Its just that we cant hide the debutants in a really good permormance by the team in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If being gifted games means giving a young raw player time in the seniors to find the pace and the space and the feeling that hey maybe I can make it out here..even with a body that gets bashed around and not much idea of the system or what his team mates do in game situations as opposed to training......then Fisher, SPS, McKay, Dow, O'brien etc etc were also in that category. And every other young bloke in every other side. There are rare exceptions where a debutant just stars but not often. Its just that we cant hide the debutants in a really good permormance by the team in general.

Gifting games means giving a player a game in the AFL when he has done absolutely nothing in the VFL to get promoted and then once in the VFL touches the ball 5 times, turns it over 4 times and has zero impact on the game. He might run lots and at good intensity or whatever they hae KPI's to get games these days, but in laymans terms he was gifted games when having zero impact on any game he played until rnd 23

We're a team that lacks pace and pressure players. Teams winning flags and up there are full of pressure players. Polson and Fisher are probably our only elite pressure players and if you think Garlett or Pickett play ahead of him then think again. These guys need to seriously lift in this area to save their careers and fingers crossed they do. Fast outside players just do not get a game in a decent side if they don't apply pressure. You would hope this would be the focus of our recruiting from now on and be one of those non negotiable things. Just looking at Richmond's midfield but mostly their forward line and the amount of players who are seriously quick and apply pressure, that's what we need to add. Ball winners yes, we're probably not too far off the mark in regards to ball winners but lack of pace and pressure is where it's at and Polson is one of the few at Carlton who bring that.

We've got talented ball winners like Dow who we are trying to develop his pressure game and natural pressure players who we are trying to develop ball winning ability in. We've just got to stick at it until our players become the full package.

I saw a stat somewhere recently that in the past month or so Polson was ranked 6th in the AFL for points for from pressure acts. He has been doing a lot of work that many weren't noticing, great to see him finally get some rewards.

I still remember the Port Adelaide game where people got into him for his last quarter turnover and then 50m penalty that cost the blues a goal at a critical time, but to me there were a lot of positives in that incident, firstly he crumbed the ball from the marking contest really well, burst from congestion into space and when he kicked long straight to the opposition he was the player who sprinted 50m to man the mark and then gave away the 50m because he was sprinting to man the mark of the next player in the chain.

Still a long way to go but he has a lot of potential and seems to have a great attitude. Hopefully he and Pickett push each other over the pre-season and both have a good 2019 because the have the speed to completely transform our fwd half.

Don't be so sure about that.

Expect this guy to come back in terrific shape and if he can stay injury free will likely play against Richmond. His work ethic will see him move past guys like Pickett and Garlett.
I already have him past Garlett. Very disappointing year from him. He's past Pickett as well but we're yet to see Pickett play when fully fit.

Pickett's ceiling is immense, I'm just worried he'll never get there.

I saw a stat somewhere recently that in the past month or so Polson was ranked 6th in the AFL for points for from pressure acts. He has been doing a lot of work that many weren't noticing, great to see him finally get some rewards.

I still remember the Port Adelaide game where people got into him for his last quarter turnover and then 50m penalty that cost the blues a goal at a critical time, but to me there were a lot of positives in that incident, firstly he crumbed the ball from the marking contest really well, burst from congestion into space and when he kicked long straight to the opposition he was the player who sprinted 50m to man the mark and then gave away the 50m because he was sprinting to man the mark of the next player in the chain.

Still a long way to go but he has a lot of potential and seems to have a great attitude. Hopefully he and Pickett push each other over the pre-season and both have a good 2019 because the have the speed to completely transform our fwd half.
Richmond's midfield core was built on guys like Polson, not big names but lots of grunt, pressure and ferocity...sprinkled with the brilliance of Martin (Cripps) and 2nd banana in Cotchin (Murph)

If we get in a heap of guys who have good skills, speed and are willing to go hard and apply elite pressure we'll go a long way. Our mistakes over the last 15 years is that we have brought in a lot of talented ball winners who might lack speed but are not willing to go hard and more importantly apply pressure. In fact this describes the entire Ratten/Malthouse era IMO and why a cleanout has been so important.

Richmond have that right mix of class and pressure players. Hawthorn for so long had a great list of class and pressure players. The Bulldogs when they won their flag did that year before they got lazy and developed a culture problem. Guys like Rioli and Daniel could hardly touch the ball but have a huge influence on the game.

I hope we can field a backline next season that has genuine speed and can defend without extra assistance and that we start to bring in some genuine outside and inside speed into the side.

A lot of the early picks go to the talent ball winning types and then to flashy outside silky types but still the speedy little pressure applying tough nuts get left until late and if we can use out later picks to get some of those guys and build the team up then the influence that guys like Polson and Fisher have will really start to be recognised.

He was a pick 59 and speculative as he only played 3 games his draft year before doing a shoulder ruling him out for the season. The clubs done well to give him an extended run towards the end of this year despite low numbers and his final game is reward to both club and player for that. Kicked 5 behinds before nailing his first goal and you could just see similar to Dow he was unable to just compose himself that little bit being so young and the adrenalin that he was overcooking snaps or not settling on shots. The extended run for him and Dow for that matter allows them to get a feel for the pace of the game and him and Dow as well have been able to kick a few goals now and finish things off which is really positive. A horrid year but the plus side being we have banked games into these kids (as well as Obrien who finished off the season well) and will be more confident and fitter after next pre season.

Just on that did Polson have an uninteruped pre season this year?

Just another example on why you don’t judge or write off young players early in their careers

Or think one swallow makes a summer.

His best game easily for the season, was it an outlier game or is that what he can do week in and out? Next year is a very big one in regards to his long term AFL career.

His last game has set the bar for his performances going forward.

if he plays like he did on sat night he will 100% be in our starting 22 rnd1

Nope. Last weekend doesn't guarantee he will make it either. What it shows is that young players can take time to adjust, learn their role or aren't physically ready. Most players need a minimum 30 plus games before they show what they truly can do.

Doesn't set the bar either. There will be ups and downs yet but it did show he has some positive qualities

His best game easily for the season, was it an outlier game or is that what he can do week in and out? Next year is a very big one in regards to his long term AFL career.

His last game has set the bar for his performances going forward.

And what a sound game it was!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back