Past 29. Cameron Polson

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a pick 59 and speculative as he only played 3 games his draft year before doing a shoulder ruling him out for the season. The clubs done well to give him an extended run towards the end of this year despite low numbers and his final game is reward to both club and player for that. Kicked 5 behinds before nailing his first goal and you could just see similar to Dow he was unable to just compose himself that little bit being so young and the adrenalin that he was overcooking snaps or not settling on shots. The extended run for him and Dow for that matter allows them to get a feel for the pace of the game and him and Dow as well have been able to kick a few goals now and finish things off which is really positive. A horrid year but the plus side being we have banked games into these kids (as well as Obrien who finished off the season well) and will be more confident and fitter after next pre season.

Just on that did Polson have an uninteruped pre season this year?

He also had a number of complete misses.

Doesn't set the bar either. There will be ups and downs yet but it did show he has some positive qualities

Disagree, he's been gifted games this season because of all the injuries and lack of other options.

Can't be kept in the side next season game after game if his output is what he was producing in 90% of the games he played this year.

If we're to move up the ladder those kind of games from any players shouldn't be enough to hold a senior place.

Disagree, he's been gifted games this season because of all the injuries and lack of other options.

Can't be kept in the side next season game after game if his output is what he was producing in 90% of the games he played this year.

If we're to move up the ladder those kind of games from any players shouldn't be enough to hold a senior place.

There will be ups and downs. Still raw. If he can't get games that means we are doing better. All good

I already have him past Garlett. Very disappointing year from him. He's past Pickett as well but we're yet to see Pickett play when fully fit.

Pickett's ceiling is immense, I'm just worried he'll never get there.
You cant judge Pickett hes never had a full preseason except the one just gone but then does his wrist before round 1 and misses 12+ weeks. Hes one that will give us a massive boost next year. Just touch wood he isnt one of those players cursed by the footy gods.

Garlett was a speculative pick like any player is at pick 78 and probably moreso worth taking considering he was a previous 1st round pick up. Nothing lost or gained there.

Let's not go down this road again, no player development is identical

If that, +/- is a regular occurrence, then he stays in the side

You cant judge Pickett hes never had a full preseason except the one just gone but then does his wrist before round 1 and misses 12+ weeks. Hes one that will give us a massive boost next year. Just touch wood he isnt one of those players cursed by the footy gods.

I can judge him by the condition he came back after those 12 weeks and it wasn’t good.

He could have sat on a bike, swam laps with a kickboard and done all sorts non weight bearing cardio that wouldn’t have impacted the healing of his wrist - it’s pretty clear on the visual evidence he didn’t.

On his last chance.

Let's not go down this road again, no player development is identical

If that, +/- is a regular occurrence, then he stays in the side

AFL players who are regular senior players don't avg stats like his. He was VERY one dimensional this season and there's no place in good teams for players like that. Need to add more to his game as well as consistency. No player development might be equal but the required outcome should be the same.

AFL players who are regular senior players don't avg stats like his. He was VERY one dimensional this season and there's no place in good teams for players like that. Need to add more to his game as well as consistency. No player development might be equal but the required outcome should be the same.

And as I said, if +/- that is a regular occurrence he stays in the best 22

I can judge him by the condition he came back after those 12 weeks and it wasn’t good.

He could have sat on a bike, swam laps with a kickboard and done all sorts non weight bearing cardio that wouldn’t have impacted the healing of his wrist - it’s pretty clear on the visual evidence he didn’t.

On his last chance.
Unfortunately the game isnt played on a bike or in a pool and despite whatever you think any exercise you can do isnt going to help your cardio as much as running nor is their any substitute for match day fitness. Pre seasons are a base. Hes 13 weeks of match fitness behind everyone else plus the base he lost from pre season, of course hes going to look slow in comparison. Despite which, that is his strength which is like clipping a birds wings. He isnt going anywhere, hes a rare talent and will show plenty once he has a good run at it.

Unfortunately the game isnt played on a bike or in a pool and despite whatever you think any exercise you can do isnt going to help your cardio as much as running nor is their any substitute for match day fitness. Pre seasons are a base. Hes 13 weeks of match fitness behind everyone else plus the base he lost from pre season, of course hes going to look slow in comparison. Despite which, that is his strength which is like clipping a birds wings. He isnt going anywhere, hes a rare talent and will show plenty once he has a good run at it.

I’ll put it simply - he came back overweight - and that was self inflicted and set him back further than he would have been had he presented himself better after his wrist rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Polson is giving it everything he has got and that is very commendable. I think Pickett could learn something from that. Others like Buckley and Armfield also gave it everything but were ultimately short of the mark. Armfield is a good comparison. Armfield's first season at Carlton versus Polson's second season puts them in the same ball park.

Polson's last game was his best which is a positive, but the game was a training drill too with no pressure (a lessening factor IMO). Like draft prospects are rated the most based on the champs, you need to take this into account with Polson's last game. It's a negative view from me, yes.

Being negative is a tough one on this forum. I want Carlton to win a flag. Hawks were ruthless when Dunstall made those hard decisions years ago - it set them up for what they are now.

When Cuningham comes back i just hope Bolton and the fwds coach could take him and train him in a similar role. Has more weapons and a stronger AFL body. But is Cuningham's decision making good enough and is he willing to be a chaser like Polson? Dont know but want to see it tested. Otherwise SoS can look at drafting/trading another option.

For Polson's own sake and taking his point of view, i hope he can put on a bit more height/weight; not a lot is required but a bit more. Then i think he could develop a bit more. So far his game is based on speed, tackling/harassing and decision making. A bit more weight would hlep him stick the 50/50 tackles against bigger bodies. Better decision making would come with experience im sure.

I think Polson is giving it everything he has got and that is very commendable. I think Pickett could learn something from that. Others like Buckley and Armfield also gave it everything but were ultimately short of the mark. Armfield is a good comparison. Armfield's first season at Carlton versus Polson's second season puts them in the same ball park.

Polson's last game was his best which is a positive, but the game was a training drill too with no pressure (a lessening factor IMO). Like draft prospects are rated the most based on the champs, you need to take this into account with Polson's last game. It's a negative view from me, yes.

Being negative is a tough one on this forum. I want Carlton to win a flag. Hawks were ruthless when Dunstall made those hard decisions years ago - it set them up for what they are now.

When Cuningham comes back i just hope Bolton and the fwds coach could take him and train him in a similar role. Has more weapons and a stronger AFL body. But is Cuningham's decision making good enough and is he willing to be a chaser like Polson? Dont know but want to see it tested. Otherwise SoS can look at drafting/trading another option.

For Polson's own sake and taking his point of view, i hope he can put on a bit more height/weight; not a lot is required but a bit more. Then i think he could develop a bit more. So far his game is based on speed, tackling/harassing and decision making. A bit more weight would hlep him stick the 50/50 tackles against bigger bodies. Better decision making would come with experience im sure.

Armfield gave it everything but "ultimately fell short of the mark"? What are you smoking BR?

The bloke played 145 games for us and yes, he was no superstar but he played his role, had top-line pace and had some absolute highlights. Was especially a consistent player in the Judd years when we made finals etc.

Buckley I agree fell short - played under 40 games for us and never got a regular game.

Armfield gave it everything but "ultimately fell short of the mark"? What are you smoking BR?

The bloke played 145 games for us and yes, he was no superstar but he played his role, had top-line pace and had some absolute highlights. Was especially a consistent player in the Judd years when we made finals etc.

Buckley I agree fell short - played under 40 games for us and never got a regular game.

I'm saying Armfield fell short of playing in a top 4-6 side that is flag contender. Armfield like White got to play a huge amount of games for a very s**t Carlton list.

I'm saying Armfield fell short of playing in a top 4-6 side that is flag contender. Armfield like White got to play a huge amount of games for a very s**t Carlton list.
I think they're fairly different. Simon White was always in and out of the team. Forever our spare man and imo a bit of a spudfarmer.

Armfield played lots of games in some of our successful seasons, the Judd-led years.

Anyway, it's not a major point. Just wanted to stick up for Army - I hold him in much higher regard than White or Buckley.

Blue, if Polson plays 140 odd games, in a developing/improving side, that is a great outcome, for where he was selected

I think they're fairly different. Simon White was always in and out of the team. Forever our spare man and imo a bit of a spudfarmer.

Armfield played lots of games in some of our successful seasons, the Judd-led years.

Anyway, it's not a major point. Just wanted to stick up for Army - I hold him in much higher regard than White or Buckley.

Fair enough. Armfield ran fast for sure. Where do we find his disposal efficiency? All i remember was him in key moments dashing inside 50 and then kicking it straight over the head of the intended target. Saw this a lot so remember it. Maybe he was good in other situations.

this bloke has tenacity that doesn't fit his sharp good looks or size - certain players in the past who figured they were god's gift to the world were too interested in their mirrors and it reflected (hee hee) in their play - looking at the blaine kane brothers here - cam_po has a great base of guts and determination to hone his skills on - great - if quite startling - finish to his year :thumbsu:

Blue, if Polson plays 140 odd games, in a developing/improving side, that is a great outcome, for where he was selected

Agree, cost is not much more than a list spot. Nothing against SoS's speculative pick. Nothing against him having a 2 year contract. I'm just thinking quick analysis on whether i see him playing a part (a harsh view for sure). Personally, i'd be looking for better. anything wrong with that?

Yeah agree. He was a good pacy half forward . I loved Dennis .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, cost is not much more than a list spot. Nothing against SoS's speculative pick. Nothing against him having a 2 year contract. I'm just thinking quick analysis on whether i see him playing a part (a harsh view for sure). Personally, i'd be looking for better. anything wrong with that?

Until "better" comes along, no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back