gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Will be interesting to see how a player like Polson goes when we start getting more ball and better quality ball in our forward line plus more pace in our side. I think having a team of fast aggressive players, they could really gel together. We have a lot of work to do to achieve that though.

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting fact, D. Rioli, Betts, J. Cripps, never had a game like Polson, in their first 13 games

Meaningless really, but why wouldn't you persist

We should given we have no great depth there. Hence SoS persisting.

I'm hoping SoS just doesn't follow the previous administration's policy of holding on too long (Buckley, Setanta, White, Joseph, lots of others etc.). The second level down does have players you can unearth so there is an opportunity cost/lost of holding on too long. Ed Curnow, Hibberd, Barlow, T Kelly plus many more are alternative uses of a list spot.

So this is sliding scales debate. Give a fair chance but then make a tough decision (4 seasons should be enough).

Prem17

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I've always liked him. I'm not trying to use the benefit of hindsight because I am as surprised as anyone that he is playing in a small forward role.
The reason that I like him is because now that he has been playing in a role outside his comfort zone, he has become the underdog.
He hasn't hidden from the challenge, and despite copping a bit of flak, he has taken on the challenge.
That game against Adelaide, a mature bodied, experienced team with a good defence, showed that he has some mongrel in him.
I hope he keeps going onto bigger and better things.
You get the impression that Simmo has taken him under his wing and said look mate, just keep going, the wheel will turn.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I've always liked him. I'm not trying to use the benefit of hindsight because I am as surprised as anyone that he is playing in a small forward role.
The reason that I like him is because now that he has been playing in a role outside his comfort zone, he has become the underdog.
He hasn't hidden from the challenge, and despite copping a bit of flak, he has taken on the challenge.
That game against Adelaide, a mature bodied, experienced team with a good defence, showed that he has some mongrel in him.
I hope he keeps going onto bigger and better things.
You get the impression that Simmo has taken him under his wing and said look mate, just keep going, the wheel will turn.
Really started to show something near the end of the year as his confidence grew, his work rate down forward is second to none never stops chasing from contest to contest which in time will reward him as it started to in the last few games of year, really pleased with him and for him could turn into something special with his speed and work rate. Bolton obviously likes him because he never stops chasing, hope he keeps getting games.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
He's got burst speed and a hunger to apply pressure. Stats haven't been coming consistent yet but he's still a young player. Guys like Paul Puopolo came on very late as mature age recruits and he may be the same. He and Fisher in the same forward line could be awesome.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Unfortunately the game isnt played on a bike or in a pool and despite whatever you think any exercise you can do isnt going to help your cardio as much as running nor is their any substitute for match day fitness. Pre seasons are a base. Hes 13 weeks of match fitness behind everyone else plus the base he lost from pre season, of course hes going to look slow in comparison. Despite which, that is his strength which is like clipping a birds wings. He isnt going anywhere, hes a rare talent and will show plenty once he has a good run at it.
Pickett has all the talent in the world but his work rate is not at AFL standard, if he learns to work as hard as Polson he will be a gun but I don't know if he is up to the hard work it takes to chase when not in possession like Polson does. Also Polson will later rotate through the midfield like he did in the juniors. Might be worth trying Pickett in defence where he can use his burn off pace.

beaglebombs

Senior List
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The problem with Cam (who's a smart kid) like most of the other players it seems is they don't know what the fck they're supposed to do under this regime.
I've never bagged the coach until now but its obvious he must complicate things too much.

I gurantee, make it simple and football becomes enjoyable again and it will change not just for him but for many.

One of my mates kids are good friends with Cam. Said he’s at rock bottom. Does everything the coaches ask him to do and receives positive affirmation however is slated mercilessly on social media which has really affected him.
The other side of the coin..

I like cam. It's not his fault the team isn't winning.

beaglebombs

Senior List
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
One of my mates kids are good friends with Cam. Said he’s at rock bottom. Does everything the coaches ask him to do and receives positive affirmation however is slated mercilessly on social media which has really affected him.
STAL

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
I agree. I dislike the bullying on him on this board and other form of social media. It isn't nice. He is just a kid. I see some disgusting things that have been said that you wouldn't say to your own sibling or kids. Just knock it off.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Its tough for all kids who get delisted, but its the harsh reality of this game that it just spits out those that don't make it and everything that they have worked towards since first picking up a footy in u10s comes crashing down. Hopefully he has some good people guiding him through the next stage of his life and he is still young enough to make something of himself outside of footy.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
His name is Cameron Polson

1605767948710.png

Goodnight Sweet Prince

:'(

Back