Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

I keep on spelling this bloke's name wrong.

But I just wanted to say,
How on earth did we ever think of getting rid of this bloke, imo I see him pairing and working with Rowbottom as main partners, don't know who else we expect to come into the mids next year...

Hewett can and should be much more than a tagger. I want to move Hewett to an inside mid, and have Clarke take his place as a tagger.

Hewett can be the big bodied inside mid we desperately need.

and to people who say he can't, in 2019 he had 7 clearances or more 6 times. He also showed in 2019 he is more than capable of averaging over 25 disposals a match if he is played in the correct position.

Hewett can and should be much more than a tagger. I want to move Hewett to an inside mid, and have Clarke take his place as a tagger.

Hewett can be the big bodied inside mid we desperately need.

and to people who say he can't, in 2019 he had 7 clearances or more 6 times. He also showed in 2019 he is more than capable of averaging over 25 disposals a match if he is played in the correct position.
I loved Craig Bird as a player. He would go out every week and give his all. Hewett is an upgrade on Bird.
I will ask you a question: When do supporters bag Hewett? How many times after how many games. What does he ever do wrong that costs us the game. You never hear of many critisims of him after any games. He does his job. He is consistent. He rarely makes mistakes that cost us. Mr under the radar. He is so valuable. Plug him in. He works every time.

I loved Craig Bird as a player. He would go out every week and give his all. Hewett is an upgrade on Bird.
I will ask you a question: When do supporters bag Hewett? How many times after how many games. What does he ever do wrong that costs us the game. You never hear of many critisims of him after any games. He does his job. He is consistent. He rarely makes mistakes that cost us. Mr under the radar. He is so valuable. Plug him in. He works every time.
From what I can see, people don't bag Hewett but bag the combination of Kennedy-Parker-Hewett

From what I can see, people don't bag Hewett but bag the combination of Kennedy-Parker-Hewett
I get it from a transition perspective. Rowbottom is the future and his role in that center bounce trio or whatever needs to be transitioned smoothly because he is critical.
Kennedy is looking at more sunsets than Rowbottom and it would be good if it transitions happen seamlessly with little impact.
I have no idea what our centre setup will be. Warner will want some action too. Will be interesting.

Hewett is the most valuable going forward of that trio. Not to mention the fact he's not even to blame for that trio's ineffectiveness. He was being made a scapegoat by some on here during the trade period and it was gross.

Not sure why Hewett would get any hate, he's been developing nicely and keeps taking his game to new levels. He's just a solid and consistent contributor.

I know nothing about his injury, but hope it isn't one that continues to linger. Hopefully it's an injury he can overcome and continue to become an important component for us.

George congratulations on your 100th game :hearteyes:

I know how much this board loves stats, so here are some for all of you:

Despite being in our top 10 for contested possessions (averaging 6.5) this year, he is also:

- Top 5 for disposal efficiency (80.08%, behind only Lloyd, Rampe, Reid & McInerney)

- Bottom 5 for turnovers (at just 2.19 a game, only McDonald, Reid, Bell & McCartin have less)

- Bottom 2 for clangers (at 1.56 a game, only McDonald has less)

Now one would think that those numbers are skewed slightly by the fact that he spent most of the season in a HB role. But then you look at his numbers from the last month when he's been in the guts, nothing really changes.

His contested possession average goes up from his season average of 6.5 to 10.25 (which is expected.)

His turnover average drops from 2.19 to 2.0.

His clanger average makes the ever-so-slight increase from 1.56 to 1.75.

His disposal efficiency drops aaaaall the way from 80.08% to 79.5%.

So not only is he still insanely clean, even when playing as an inside mid where it's almost universal to have high turnover and clanger numbers and a lower disposal efficiency, but he also provides an attacking element, over the last month averaging 5.25 clearances (which is literally Mills' average for the whole season) and 2.25 centre clearances (which is literally above any other Swan's average this season)

It's time he gets his due recognition as a midfield GUN. Not just a vanilla cog in the machine. This is a very talented midfielder whose hands we should be trying to get the ball in as much as possible! And sure as hell not trading!

Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do like a bit of Georgie. Though I feel a lot of his uncontested possessions/kicks are safe options which will help the disposal efficiency and turnovers.

Having said that. Plenty of attacking talent in the team that he doesn't need to be overly aggressive if he's getting it to the right people.

Do like a bit of Georgie. Though I feel a lot of his uncontested possessions/kicks are safe options which will help the disposal efficiency and turnovers.

Having said that. Plenty of attacking talent in the team that he doesn't need to be overly aggressive if he's getting it to the right people.
Yeah, no reason to go forward stupidly when you could hand it off to any of Rampe, Dawson, Blakey, Gulden, McInerney, or Lloyd. No player is meant to do everything. Winning the ball and getting it into the hands of someone that can run and cause damage is enough to be elite.

Think his thread title deserves something better than what we have. Just not sure what.

Mr Underestimated but Appreciated by the faithful , is a bit too long I feel
In honour of our new Nike sponsorship, George Hewett: Just Do It

Yeah, no reason to go forward stupidly when you could hand it off to any of Rampe, Dawson, Blakey, Gulden, McInerney, or Lloyd. No player is meant to do everything. Winning the ball and getting it into the hands of someone that can run and cause damage is enough to be elite.
I dunno if I’d be giving to ramps going i50 based on his recent attempts, has butchered it!
rebound 50s are his specialty

I dunno if I’d be giving to ramps going i50 based on his recent attempts, has butchered it!
rebound 50s are his specialty
Yeah, fair enough. I was just talking about ball use in general, but you probably wouldn't want Rampe near centre square 90% of the time

I know how much this board loves stats, so here are some for all of you:

Despite being in our top 10 for contested possessions (averaging 6.5) this year, he is also:

- Top 5 for disposal efficiency (80.08%, behind only Lloyd, Rampe, Reid & McInerney)

- Bottom 5 for turnovers (at just 2.19 a game, only McDonald, Reid, Bell & McCartin have less)

- Bottom 2 for clangers (at 1.56 a game, only McDonald has less)

Now one would think that those numbers are skewed slightly by the fact that he spent most of the season in a HB role. But then you look at his numbers from the last month when he's been in the guts, nothing really changes.

His contested possession average goes up from his season average of 6.5 to 10.25 (which is expected.)

His turnover average drops from 2.19 to 2.0.

His clanger average makes the ever-so-slight increase from 1.56 to 1.75.

His disposal efficiency drops aaaaall the way from 80.08% to 79.5%.

So not only is he still insanely clean, even when playing as an inside mid where it's almost universal to have high turnover and clanger numbers and a lower disposal efficiency, but he also provides an attacking element, over the last month averaging 5.25 clearances (which is literally Mills' average for the whole season) and 2.25 centre clearances (which is literally above any other Swan's average this season)

It's time he gets his due recognition as a midfield GUN. Not just a vanilla cog in the machine. This is a very talented midfielder whose hands we should be trying to get the ball in as much as possible! And sure as hell not trading!

Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk.

Stats

(Sorry I just had to do it)

Oh, I dunno. George makes some clever decisions these days. That long kick to find Hickey sneaking up the wing was inspired. There were a host of safe options but Hewett took the harder but better option with a kick that bypassed the opposition and had the best chance of resulting in a goal. The kick was spot on. Hickey just had to cruise forward and kick it, which he did.

Maybe George is finding more time and space as his confidence grows. He's had a long apprenticeship in the engine room, learning from Joey and Parks but also tagging some of the very best. He's also tightened up the defensive side of his game. When an opposition mid goes forward he's got the confidence to go with them.

We underrate George. He deserves more credit for what he does and for what he stops opposition players from doing.

He's been outstanding the last few weeks. It just needs to be the regular occurrence for him to throw out the vanilla. ie hewetts outstanding last few games are just 'standard' games for Luke Parker for example. And for a starting mid, that type of performance needs to be standard. Otherwise it's easy for another player with a particular set of skills to quickly take his place.

No one complains about hewetts reliability ever. However it's fair to question what outstanding specific ability he brings to the table, amongst a very talented young squad.

He's been outstanding the last few weeks. It just needs to be the regular occurrence for him to throw out the vanilla. ie hewetts outstanding last few games are just 'standard' games for Luke Parker for example. And for a starting mid, that type of performance needs to be standard. Otherwise it's easy for another player with a particular set of skills to quickly take his place.

No one complains about hewetts reliability ever. However it's fair to question what outstanding specific ability he brings to the table, amongst a very talented young squad.

Did you read my post? His outstanding ability is that he is the best ball user in our midfield, bar none. We as Swans supporters have been so conditioned to loving tough, hard bulls that when we finally have a mid come along who is more clean than he is tough*, everyone's like "meh". A player actually finding targets wearing Swans jumpers instead of biting off more than you can chew? Boring!

*Not that Hewett isn't also tough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back