Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
I reckon he'll come in for K. Jack.
Kizza needs a rest!

When his name came up I felt an 'extremely short term injury' to a senior player might be on the cards

As opposed to anyone being 'rested' that is. Horse doesn't do that. ;)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
To the track watchers amongst you, how is George Hewett shaping up?

Does he look like being a senior player this year?

SuperCoach thread next time please.

I'll leave this question to others, but a few have been impressed with him so far. He might get his chance at some stage.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
SuperCoach thread next time please.

I'll leave this question to others, but a few have been impressed with him so far. He might get his chance at some stage.

Not interested in SuperCoach in the slightest. Hate those things.

I'm interested in Hewett as a footballer . Either this coming season or future seasons. Each year the last 4 or 5 years i've picked 1 or 2 kids in their draft year that i like from watching and reading everything i can.

Hewett was my smoky from his year and i'm interested in his progress.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Not interested in SuperCoach in the slightest. Hate those things.

My mistake, we get a lot of Super Coach questions this time of year. One of our training watchers can give you the latest, but if he is your smoky I dare say you're a pretty good judge.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn't George return from Xmas a bit out of shape?

Is he out of the doghouse and has he picked things up?

Hey mate,

There was a story that Hewett came back perhaps lacking in his KPI's. In a recent interview on Swans TV he downplayed it. There have been some snaps taken and he appears to be developing well physically. So, perhaps there was a small lesson to be learned and he fell down in the eyes of the coaches but it doesn't appear significant. He looks set to make a debut in 2015 as the perception on this board is he's tracking well above expectations. We love the fact he's dual sided and has that real composure. Probably Jones, Robinson, Heeney are the mid sized players non-22 in front of him at a guess.

Last edited:

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
it's now or never for him. Spots have opened up, but he needs to show he can play somewhere other than midfield. If the wrap on his skills is justified we could could use them, but with Heeney and now mills coming in, you have to wonder if he;ll get consistent, if any games. Would be a shame to see him leave for another club.

it's now or never for him. Spots have opened up, but he needs to show he can play somewhere other than midfield. If the wrap on his skills is justified we could could use them, but with Heeney and now mills coming in, you have to wonder if he;ll get consistent, if any games. Would be a shame to see him leave for another club.

The cap on rotations might mean the likes of Parker/Kennedy/Jack etc spending more minutes up forward which could open up another position in the midfield. The abolition of the sub-rule will also help young George because he isn't really an impact player that would be suited to the green vest. If Mills is going to be playing half back and Heeney half-forward then I wouldn't be surprised to see Hewett sneak into the Round 1 team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got George right on the cusp of senior selection and a definite starter if we have any injuries going into R1. Next couple of pre season games are very important for George to push his case above guys like BJ and Robinson.

We still need to see McVeigh, McGlynn, Jones and Rohan on the park so best 22 spots are there to be filled.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
George will be ok. He is an inside outside mid. He has got lots of upside resting forward. he can kick goals and will always give a contest

Personally, Hewett has to play Round 1. We need to improve our footskills and he is one of our few that is a great kick of the ball. We need that in our side. Find a position for him, probably in the midfield resting forward if need be.

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
while not setting the world on fire, he has shown he can play at this level, and not just in the middle. Great signs but he may find himself shuffled out as the season goes on. Sign him up!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back