AFL Player #29: Jake "Bull" Kelly šŸ‚

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Redman actually attracting the best small forward? I thought Ridley was. As noted by BJ on Trade Radio, Kelly's arrival frees up Ridley to reprise his role of a high-up intercepting defender on a 3rd KPF rather than zoning off a small forward.
It depended on the team. Ridley sometimes went tall, sometimes went small.

/whipping boy.

Was he actually though?
Yes. I love small nuggety defenders that can defend. He was small and nuggety. He was no good with or without the ball. I assumed he got a game because of his off-field ethic under Knights. Hird came along and didnā€™t see his value. No other club picked him up at 26, most playersā€™ peak, when he left the club which supports said argument.

IMO back 6 locks regardless of opposition
Ridley
Laverde
Hind
Redman

Last 2 spots up for grabs
Heppell (probably a lock based on status as captain)
Kelly
Stewart
Reid
Cutler
Francis

IMO back 6 locks regardless of opposition
Ridley
Laverde
Hind
Redman

Last 2 spots up for grabs
Heppell (probably a lock based on status as captain)
Kelly
Stewart
Reid
Cutler
Francis
I think we'll see Francis forward and Reid developed in the VFL. Cutler as depth again.

7 defenders

Kelly Stewart Hind
Redman Laverde Ridley
Heppell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Redman actually attracting the best small forward? I thought Ridley was. As noted by BJ on Trade Radio, Kelly's arrival frees up Ridley to reprise his role of a high-up intercepting defender on a 3rd KPF rather than zoning off a small forward.

Surely Kelly down back allows Ridley to roam free, create play and take bulk intercept marks?

• Working closely with Gia and Ridley to figure out their positioning so that Ridley can go up the ground more and do what he wants to do. Doesn't mind where he plays, wherever they need him, but that's where it's going at the moment.
  • Gets on well with McGrath, Merrett and Smith. Interesting comment about Merrett talking in team meetings, doesn't just talk for the sake of talking but actually says something really compelling when he speaks up.
  • In the best shape he's ever been, working with the coaches and such, apparently he's an old bloke now hah.
  • Some interesting comments about the team being really driven towards a premiership, the coaches having a really clear plan of how to get there, and the whole club being aligned to that.

Bit of fluffy stuff as well, comparing to Adelaide before they made the grand final in 2017 and stuff like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back