#29 Jayden Hunt - joins WCE as a free agent, pick 52 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we play him as a defensive forward? Aside from this year he has normally been ultra competitive and has obvious pace, yes his actual skills aren’t ideal but he wouldn’t need to get 15+ disposals a game up forward to impact the game.

You can play any one anywhere in modern footy mate. Would need to work on his marking and goal kicking because his actual footy IQ Is low compared to a Hannan for instance

You can play any one anywhere in modern footy mate. Would need to work on his marking and goal kicking because his actual footy IQ Is low compared to a Hannan for instance

I know, but I’m really unsure about him in the back half with his inability to find the ball and also use it well consistently. Honestly I still don’t see him getting another contract with us right now because aside from his pace he doesn’t have anything else of value.

I know, but I’m really unsure about him in the back half with his inability to find the ball and also use it well consistently. Honestly I still don’t see him getting another contract with us right now because aside from his pace he doesn’t have anything else of value.

Everyone always gets excited by pace but strip it back and what does offer to our side?
He needs to get as fit as Isaac Smith to be a good footballer.

Inability to find the ball? Averaged 18 disposals last year, more if you take away the game he was KO'ed and the Swans game he played as a forward.

Good defensively both on the ground and in the air, good tackler, displays some intercept mark ability, pretty good ball handling and decision making in traffic. Yeah he'll have to work on his kicking but he was never a one trick pony. Pretty solid all round defender and if he did turn it over it was generally 80m away!

All though summer and in to the season he wasn't healthy. Get him fit and he'll bounce back if not right back in to the 22 then at least as very handy depth who'll play a lot of games.

Inability to find the ball? Averaged 18 disposals last year, more if you take away the game he was KO'ed and the Swans game he played as a forward.

Good defensively both on the ground and in the air, good tackler, displays some intercept mark ability, pretty good ball handling and decision making in traffic. Yeah he'll have to work on his kicking but he was never a one trick pony. Pretty solid all round defender and if he did turn it over it was generally 80m away!

All though summer and in to the season he wasn't healthy. Get him fit and he'll bounce back if not right back in to the 22 then at least as very handy depth who'll play a lot of games.

Is averaging under 12 touches a game in 2018. His ball handling is horrible, fumbles just as much as ANB does if not more. His defensive work has also been well under par this year.

I’m hoping it is just he has had a crap season but I’m seriously worried about his future, and hopefully we’re looking at other HBF options if Hunt doesn’t have a form reversal.

Is averaging under 12 touches a game in 2018. His ball handling is horrible, fumbles just as much as ANB does if not more. His defensive work has also been well under par this year.

I’m hoping it is just he has had a crap season but I’m seriously worried about his future, and hopefully we’re looking at other HBF options if Hunt doesn’t have a form reversal.

I agree mate, when someone says he has good ball handling it makes me think they rate everyone.

Oliver is elite
Hogan/Jetta are good
Gus is average
Hunt is poor

Argue with those all you want campaigners but Hunt doesn't have good ball handling relative to other AFL players.

Intercept marking?
Lever is elite
Jetta is very good potentially elite
Hibberd is good
Hunt is average at best.

I also don't like the well if he turns it over it's a long way away... That's still a turnover and it's coming back with interest.

yeah Hunts tackling has been woeful this year and his ball handling was even worse. he cant lift his shoulder above his head to mark the ball either. as far as I can tell his decision making in traffic consists of receive ball, then run fast. he's been getting outworked to the contest by oppo forwards so he has to work on his fitness and also needs to play tighter, then use his speed to leave his opponent. defend first, then attack.
Schmuttt and Topkent are right, he needs to be 100% fit or he's not worth playing. he's never going to be picked just for his footy smarts and disposal.

Not the first players to have a down year, and injuries haven't helped him gain back some form. Your weaknesses will always appear worse when out of form, i'm expecting him to bounce back in 2019 with a full pre season under his belt.

I agree mate, when someone says he has good ball handling it makes me think they rate everyone.

Oliver is elite
Hogan/Jetta are good
Gus is average
Hunt is poor

Argue with those all you want campaigners but Hunt doesn't have good ball handling relative to other AFL players.

Intercept marking?
Lever is elite
Jetta is very good potentially elite
Hibberd is good
Hunt is average at best.

I also don't like the well if he turns it over it's a long way away... That's still a turnover and it's coming back with interest.
I have concerns about him too, but I like it when you trash a player online. Gives me hope he might Brayshaw it up in 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts?

Showed some good signs - one chase down on the wing I remember for HTB, then a great run and carry through the middle of the ground which resulted in a goal. That's what we want and need from him.

I really think he could be much needed game changer for us if May and Lever can come back and stay fit. A little less defensive responsibility could free him up to take the game on.

Thoughts?

Showed some good signs - one chase down on the wing I remember for HTB, then a great run and carry through the middle of the ground which resulted in a goal. That's what we want and need from him.

I really think he could be much needed game changer for us if May and Lever can come back and stay fit. A little less defensive responsibility could free him up to take the game on.

I think anytime someone with legspeed plays an average game its always judged through rose coloured glasses
On one hand Jones is cooked an should never play again, on the other hand is Hunts return to form and how dangerous he was.

*Again dont think Jones played well, but I think it highlights the weird standards for players

Disposals
Jones 19 @ 78.9% ( 5 Clangers)
Hunt 14 @ 50% ( 3 Clangers)

Marks
Jones 6
Hunt 0

Rebound 50s
Jones 4
Hunt 2

Inside 50s
Jones 2
Hunt 1

Tackles
Jones 1
Hunt 4

Bounces
Jones 1
Hunt 2

I think anytime someone with legspeed plays an average game its always judged through rose coloured glasses
On one hand Jones is cooked an should never play again, on the other hand is Hunts return to form and how dangerous he was.

*Again dont think Jones played well, but I think it highlights the weird standards for players

Disposals

Marks
Jones 6
Hunt 0

Rebound 50s
Jones 4
Hunt 2

Inside 50s
Jones 2
Hunt 1

Tackles
Jones 1
Hunt 4

Bounces
Jones 1
Hunt 2

I agree with the general principle of what you're saying but it's not so unfair to have different benchmarks for two very different players. Jones is a proven player that has consistently shown he is better than that. Hunt is still getting there. Expectations will always be coloured by past performance.

My view is Hunt hit the bare minimum of a pass mark for a first game of the season. Needs to trend upwards from here.

Standards of fitness, intensity and commitment are universal of course.

I agree with the general principle of what you're saying but it's not so unfair to have different benchmarks for two very different players. Jones is a proven player that has consistently shown he is better than that. Hunt is still getting there. Expectations will always be coloured by past performance.

Standards of fitness, intensity and commitment are universal of course.

My honest opinion of Hunts game was it was meh. He only rebounded twice, only had 1 inside 50 and didnt take a single mark, like not once did he sprint from his opponent an get an uncontested mark. 4 tackles is ok, only looks good next to the 1 though.
50% disposal efficiency, thats horrible.. that means every 2nd disposal was a turnover.

It wasnt a droppable game, but it was barely better than a pass.

Disposals

Marks
Jones 6
Hunt 0

Rebound 50s
Jones 4
Hunt 2

Inside 50s
Jones 2
Hunt 1

Tackles
Jones 1
Hunt 4

Bounces
Jones 1
Hunt 2

Have you got one for ‘metres gained’?

He can be pretty handy at moving the ball forward. Sometimes a clanger is t so bad if they’ve run it 50 and kicked it 60.

Have you got one for ‘metres gained’?

He can be pretty handy at moving the ball forward. Sometimes a clanger is t so bad if they’ve run it 50 and kicked it 60.

Thats absolutely not true in the slightest. A turnover is a turnover, there was one he marked at 70m out, kicked straight down the throat of a Port player who switched to the open side and they ran the overlap all the way for a goal.

Plus he when did he run 50m? He might have run 35m once.. 2 running bounces says he didnt get more than 20m very often running. So its just a Brayshaw turnover a little quicker

Metres Gained
Hunt 224
Jones 419

Hunt was rated 16th out of the 22 melbourne players selected.

Pressure acts 14 to 7
Intercept possessions 8 to 1
Turnovers 5 to 4
1 centre clearance each
Hunt should only get better and we need him cause watching nearly every match its speed that stood out the most

There is a tonne more available too

Pressure acts
Hunt 14 ( ANB had 30)

Score involvements
Hunt 1
Jones 5
You've put Hunt against our best pressure player and highest for the game. Viney put on 25 pressure acts our 2nd best with Spargo who didnt get a tackle but alot of nearly tackles. Jones had 7 1 of our worst behind our defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back