Player Watch #29 Joel Hamling

Remove this Banner Ad

I know bugger all about Joel but I'm happy to welcome him to the club and wish him well.* He's great depth as a minimum and, like JJ, will at the very least make our Reserves better (which actually does matter to me - I enjoy following the ressies and if we're playing well it's good for the development of the team, plus it's handy if we make finals in the seniors if the ressies are playing finals too). It's great that we spend no draft capital to get him and he's got some valuable experience to pass on to the younger players.

Do we know if Freo were offering him another contract?

* with a slight caveat on account of the 2016 granny

I know bugger all about Joel but I'm happy to welcome him to the club and wish him well.* He's great depth as a minimum and, like JJ, will at the very least make our Reserves better (which actually does matter to me - I enjoy following the ressies and if we're playing well it's good for the development of the team, plus it's handy if we make finals in the seniors if the ressies are playing finals too). It's great that we spend no draft capital to get him and he's got some valuable experience to pass on to the younger players.

Do we know if Freo were offering him another contract?

* with a slight caveat on account of the 2016 granny
Apparently they were offering him one year.

I could see Hamling being too good to be stuck in the ressies. If Melican is fit and inform could we play all 3 of them and McCartin? Maybe McCartin plays loose as the interceptor?

fit and in form Hamling is miles ahead of Lewis.

I could see Hamling being too good to be stuck in the ressies. If Melican is fit and inform could we play all 3 of them and McCartin? Maybe McCartin plays loose as the interceptor?
McCartin too good one on one to be used as an interceptor, imo

Hope not brand all over
I think the key difference between the two is that Brand was always just a depth player seeking opportunities with whoever would take him. Hamling is a proven AFL-standard, best 22 defender who has chosen us over Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competitive Backline - Mills, Reid, McInerney, Florent, Lloyd, Francis, Arnold, Campbell, Rampe, McCartin, Melican, Cunningham, Fox, Hamling. Competition for spots is what we need.

Last edited:
Joel Hamling says he would have remained at Fremantle if they’d offered him a contract earlier in the year, but in the end, joining Sydney was a “no-brainer”. (paywalled)

I’d be happy for McCartin and then one of Hamling/Melican to play lockdown with one of Rampe/Francis/Blakey playing the interceptor role.

We have been one key lockdown defender short for a long time (the centre bounce video showed we were worst in the league for one on one defensive wins). Having two lockdown defenders will help free everyone else up. It will help us play with more flair as a team, not less.

I’d be happy for McCartin and then one of Hamling/Melican to play lockdown with one of Rampe/Francis/Blakey playing the interceptor role.

We have been one key lockdown defender short for a long time (the centre bounce video showed we were worst in the league for one on one defensive wins). Having two lockdown defenders will help free everyone else up. It will help us play with more flair as a team, not less.
I think there have been quite a few people (self included) who have been saying this for some time, especially once Paddy went down, even though he was playing a lot of interceptor. Francis was really brought in to be an interceptor rather than a lockdown which was down to Melican when he has been fit and in form, which has been all too rare. Hopefully with both he and Hamling contesting for that role we might get some continuity as you seek with at least one of them fit!

Joel Hamling says he would have remained at Fremantle if they’d offered him a contract earlier in the year, but in the end, joining Sydney was a “no-brainer”. (paywalled)

“There’s a spot for me there and they’ve recruited quite well. Are they in the window? Yeah, they probably are."

Sounds like he's been given guaranteed game time. And I like it. He'll be a great pick up for us.

“There’s a spot for me there and they’ve recruited quite well. Are they in the window? Yeah, they probably are."

Sounds like he's been given guaranteed game time. And I like it. He'll be a great pick up for us.

I haven't read the article but just going on the quote out of context I think he could mean not that he's been promised a spot but that there's a clear spot that is open that he can contest for with Melican/Francis/Arnold etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back