Player Watch #29 Joel Hamling

Remove this Banner Ad

Most don't seem that excited by Joel but I think he helps make a real difference to our structure. Imo he's a lock Rd 1 and will play as our no.1 key defender. That frees up tmac to play the second tall and intercept with Rampe now free to do the same on the third tall/medium forward.

Most don't seem that excited by Joel but I think he helps make a real difference to our structure. Imo he's a lock Rd 1 and will play as our no.1 key defender. That frees up tmac to play the second tall and intercept with Rampe now free to do the same on the third tall/medium forward.
Yep completely agree. We really lucked out with Paddy in '22 and his horrendous end left a gapping hole and I think Joel will fill it brilliantly.

Twelve years in the making, Joel Hamling is confident he can make an impact at Sydney

"I met Kinnear Beatson 12 years ago in Perth. He interviewed me and we really liked it.

"My manager was at a Sandringham game last season and Kinnear was there and asked what was going on with me. My manager said (I) might be out of Freo so it just eventuated like that.

Twelve years in the making, Joel Hamling is confident he can make an impact at Sydney

"I met Kinnear Beatson 12 years ago in Perth. He interviewed me and we really liked it.

"My manager was at a Sandringham game last season and Kinnear was there and asked what was going on with me. My manager said (I) might be out of Freo so it just eventuated like that.

Love that article.
All the new boys really have points to prove to their last clubs respectively, let's hope they all rise to the occasion.

I am also bullish about this recruit. I think he has a lot to offer - experience, maturity, skill. I think he's a good chance of playing first team footy but if not he'll be knocking on the door and doing our reserves a lot of good. Maybe he could help Francis realise his potential.

Sounds like a well grounded fellow with a solid sense of self.

Hasn't he played like 5 games in 4 years or something? No wonder the contract offer was on the low side.

Hasn't he played like 5 games in 4 years or something? No wonder the contract offer was on the low side.
True, but when someone else showed interest they definitely upped the length and maybe the money. I think that's the thing that mattered to him. He might turn out a terrific deal or not. At least he knows how to lock down. Nothing lost IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's been plenty of publicity about the other three trade-ins but not much (anything at all?) about how Joel is travelling. A couple of pics and one suggestion that maybe he's edging in front of Melican.
Is anyone hearing anything?

There's been plenty of publicity about the other three trade-ins but not much (anything at all?) about how Joel is travelling. A couple of pics and one suggestion that maybe he's edging in front of Melican.
Is anyone hearing anything?
There’s a pic of him today in swans colours on afl.com but I agree not much brewing. Have heard his favourite coffee is a strong flat white no sugar.

This bloke was once an integral part of the AFL’s stingiest defence - he’s a pretty good player.

But 6 games in the last 4 seasons does suggest he’s a bit of a hit n’ hope.

Here’s hoping he becomes our latest 4th club success story, Ruck Jesus style.
His is really a can't lose signing from our point of view, pretty much along the lines of Paddies signing a few years ago - very little to lose, a heap to gain.
Let's hope he can make half the impact on the club as Paddy did, albeit not end the same way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back